Chapter Thirty Two

Can I continue feeling this way?

Megan Lee - Safe and Sound  please listen to this while reading

 
 
 
I walked with unsteady steps to XiuMin’s room. I knew that what I had felt was not a sudden sickness. Somehow, I was in-tune with what was happening to Tao. For me to feel that sick means that something was wrong with him. I could feel his fear coursing through my own veins as I shakily opened the doorknob to the elder’s room.
 
 
 
Light flooded the room and what I saw sent my knees buckling. I reached forward just in time to catch Tao in my arms as he slid to the floor. My gaze traveled upwards to the other in the room. He stood there, hands running through his hair as he hyperventilated.
 
 
 
“WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO!?” I screamed at him and instantly rest Tao down softly on the floor. I hovered over him and brought my fingers to his neck to check his pulse. I heard XiuMin yell a response but I couldn’t care less  what it was at this point. I had to wait a few seconds to feel a beat of any kind come from this near lifeless form and immediately placed my hands on his chest.
 
 
 
One. Two. Three. Four…’ I said in my head as I pumped chest and counted to fifteen, trying to keep his heart beating.
 
 
 
“YOU JUST TRIED TO ING KILL HIM!!” I screamed, my voice already hoarse from begging Tao to wake up.
 
 
 
At that point, the others walked in. Their mouths dropped at the sight, yet I paid no attention to them. I didn’t have time to. My lips found the boy’s and I breathed into him. I waited a few seconds and did it again. 
 
 
 
“Wake up, baby, wake up. Please.” I shakily whispered to him. His face was a pallid shade of ivory, lips taking on a frantic shade of indigo, bruises shaped as fingers started to form on the surface of his throat. There was a red handprint on the left side of his face. A black eye was starting to form on his left eye, only adding to the list of things that plagued this innocent one.
 
 
 
I bent over him again and repeated the process. I breathed into him and felt under his neck, searching for a pulse. I felt something, but it was just as weak as before.
 
 
 
I stared up at XiuMin with the strongest sense of hatred I had ever felt in my life. “Why?” I choked out, stranded tears falling from my face. “WHY?!” 
 
 
 
I picked Tao up and hugged his limp body. “WHY?!!
 
 
 
I closed my eyes. It was pointless to keep them open as my vision was blurred from these stinging tears that invaded my eyes. I paid no attention to where they fell and didn’t dare wipe them off as I didn’t want to take a finger off of my baby.
 
 
 
“I didn’t mean to-”
 
 
 
“SHUTTHEUP!” I interrupted XiuMin and paid no mind to his now frenzied tone.
 
 
 
I placed Tao down once more. I had to try again. I just had to.
 
 
 
“Tao-ah. Wake up for me and we can go to the zoo. You can go see real panda’s~” I whispered in his ear with an attempted smile and ignored my cracking voice. I placed my hands on him again.
 
 
 
One.
 
 
 
Two.
 
 
 
Three.
 
 
 
Four.
 
 
 
Five.
 
 
 
Six.
 
 
 
 
Do something.
 
 
 
 
Seven.
 
 
 
Eight.
 
 
 
Nine.
 
 
 
 
Ten.
 
 
 
 
 
C’mon. Open your eyes.
 
 
 
 
 
Eleven.
 
 
 
 
 
Tw-twelve.
 
 
 
 
 
Jagiya, please.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Thirt-teen.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Don’t make me finish this count without you waking up.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Four... teen.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Fif...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
teen...