Chapter Thirty Seven

Can I continue feeling this way?

 

 
 
 
Please please please listen to this as you read
 
 
I dropped to my knees and gently shook him. “Lay? Lay, what’s wrong? Keep your eyes open. What’s wrong?!” My frantic voice only became more strained the longer I spoke.
 
He stared at me with dazed, glossy eyes. “Yifan, you a-are amazing. D-don’t ever forget that, alri-” He spoke in short breaths, and wasn’t able to finish his sentence.
 
I gaped in shock as I watched his eyes roll into his head.
 
“LUHAN!! CALL AN AMBULANCE!!” I screamed into the house. Said boy asked no questions and did exactly that. Everyone gathered around the frame of the door to stare at the scene in front of them. He was loosing blood at such an alarming rate that I ripped off a piece of my shirt and held it to his nose, desperate to find any kind of way to stop the bleeding.
 
I heard sirens in the distance, soon becoming so close that the sound began to mask my cries that begged him to wake up.
 
The paramedics pried him out of my arms and attached all kinds of devices to his body. There were too many of us to fit in the back of the ambulance so we followed behind in our car, desperate to get him to the hospital before something… happened.
 
It took ten whole minutes to get there. Even with all of the cars parting, we simply lived that far away. I tried to follow them all the way into his room but the other members soon held me back, understanding we couldn’t go any further.
 
“Duizhang, calm down. Just relax and everything will be okay.” Tao spoke beside me. I looked to him with desperation. Would it really?
 
No, it wouldn't.
 
Relax?
 
No, I can't.
 
We all went to sit down in a secluded part of the waiting room that was nearest to his room. Chen sat nervously on the edge, Luhan next to him, Tao next to Luhan, and I beside Tao.
 
I shook my leg and stared at the floor, frantically counting the seconds that passed by. Five minutes passed and I stood up. I began pacing back and forth, needing to do something with this crushing sense of despair that was beginning to settle in the longer he was in the room.
 
Stains of Lay’s blood could be seen on my shirt and arm where I held him, but I didn’t want to go wash it off for I might miss something.
 
As I moved, scenes of tragedy played through my head. 'What if’s' began to take over me as if they were the angel of death. My breathing was short and choppy, unable to cope with my frenetic pacing and troublesome thoughts.
 
He just collapsed, for no reason, bleeding profusely. What could have been wrong with him? He was always healthy, always willing to workout, and always energetic. Nothing was visibly wrong. Yet, what had just happened was definite proof of just the opposite.
 
Something had happened.
 
 
But what?
 
 
 
THREE HOURS LATER
 
 
 
We all sat in the same exact positions we were in before. I had calmed down a little with the help of a little coaxing from the maknae, but the tension filling the air was more than suffocating.
 
“Wu Yi Fan?” I jumped at the sudden disruption and looked up to the one who spoke. Without hesitation I got up and began to walk over to him. The others began to follow me but I told them to stay behind and wait. I walked the doctor over to a more secluded area where the boys wouldn’t hear us.
 
I stood there, waiting for him to speak.
 
“Has you’re friend ever shown any signs of cramps or pain?” He asked seriously. 
 
I thought back before responding. “Not that I know of.” I wanted to end my sentence with a ‘why?’ but I knew that I wouldn’t want to hear the answer.
 
“Ahh.” He took his sleeve and wiped the nervous sweat off of his brow. “Sir, your friend-”
 
“-brother*-” I corrected him.
 
“-brother, has just suffered from a pulmonary embolism. It’s where a blood clot becomes loose and travels through the blood stream, stopping wherever its get caught. If it’s in the heart or brain, it may be fatal.”
 
I stared at him, unsure what to think. My heart was pounding so loud and fast I was sure it would either stop or explode.
 
 
“Mr. Wu, his caught in his heart.” 
 
 
 
I froze.
 
 
 
 
“He’s…
 
 
 
 
 
 
he’s gone.”