Between Cranberry and Strawberry Jam

Married by Day, Troubled by Night

Arriving at your college campus, you held your books tightly against your chest and walked with a slight bounce in your step. *This morning could not have been any better.*

In the middle of a daydream, the serenity was rudely interrupted by a bunch of screaming girls. *Okay, maybe it can get better.* 

You rolled your eyes and turned around to see the cause of the commotion, but nothing could be seen past the swarm of girls… except that they were moving closer.

*Oh my gosh, is this my cue to run? Don’t want to get run over today.* 

The ear-splitting screams drew closer and you were prepared to make a run for it when you felt your collar being tugged backwards, almost choking you. *What?! Am I getting ?! NO!*

“Hello beautiful, ready to save your prince in shining armour?” 

A husky voice made its way to your ear drums as you felt an arm wrapped around your shoulders. You looked up to see but the sun casted a strong shadow on the face, making the person unidentifiable except for his unusually purple hair. *Who… is he?*

But before you could process anything else, you were pulled out of the ring of girls and dragged across campus screaming “Where am I going?!”

 

“Who are… you? Wait… Lemme… catch my… breath…” Placing your hand over your chest, you felt it heave up and down, your heart pounding a thousand miles per hour. 

Standing up tall and swooping his hair back, the boy looked at you with a glint of playfulness in his eyes. “Seriously? You don’t know who I am? C’mon baby, take a guess.”

But you were already getting a bit dizzy from that sudden dash and you were feeling weak in the stomach. Before you knew it, the world was a spinning mess and the tuft of purple hair was the last thing you saw. 

 

********************

 

Your fuzzy sight cleared as you made out the shape of a fan spinning lightly above you. Shutting them tight again, you lifted yourself to sit up right in a foreign setting. *Where am I… Whoa, what happened…?*

You let your sight scan your surroundings for any indications of where you were but nothing rang a bell. *Well, this definitely isn’t the school infirmary…* 

There were family portraits hanging on the walls and the bed was one of the softest beds you’ve ever slept on. It wasn’t till your eyes fell on that tuft of purple hair till you realised where you were, and your eyes grew by the second. *I’M IN THIS GUY’S HOUSE?! WHO IS HE?! Oh my gosh, I’m going to get now, aren’t I?* Cowering, you tried to hide yourself under the sheets but they were pulled away from you. 

“NO! DON’T TOUCH ME! I KNOW KARATE, TAEKWONDO, SOMETHING-JUTSU AND HAPKIDO! AHHHHHH!” You flailed your limbs about and screamed at the top of your lungs, not caring how much of an idiot you looked. If you’re gonna go, might as well put up a fight, right?

“Quieten up, you’ll bother the neighbours. Shush, I’m not going to you. ~~~~, it’s me! L.Joe!” Cupping his hand over your mouth, he gestured for you to stay quiet with his other. 

Slowly, your brain began processing normally again and recognised the stranger. But your belated greetings were muffled by his hand and you pried them off. “I’m so glad it’s you and not some random. You had me so scared, what the hell!” Crossing your arms, you pouted and turned away.

Hearing something he liked, L.Joe smirked and leaned in. “So you were glad to see me, aye? The feeling’s mutual then,” he said as he hushed his voice and planted a soft kiss near your lips. 

Shocked, you immediately pulled back and tried to pull a straight face but your bright pink cheeks gave you away. 

“Well, aren’t you a just a cutie pie, blushing just for me. You hungry? I’ll fix you up with something.” Leaving a flabbergasted you sitting on his bed, L.Joe winked and walked out of the room. 

 

You were determined to stay put and stand your ground, acting like a lone protestor. However, your body wasn’t being as cooperative and your stomach growled loudly, eating away at your determination. “This is not going well…”

As if on cue, the scent of freshly made waffles and cranberry jam wafted into the room and was greeted by the roar of your stomach. “Shush! Stop being so embarrassing!” You scolded yourself. Even though no-one was watching, your face couldn’t help but turn red. *Great. My face looks like cranberry jam too.* 

“~~~~? Come down, food’s done!” 

“Okay…” You grumbled under your breath. Although you weren’t exactly happy with L.Joe right now, your body needed food and you were going to get it. Even Woohyun only comes second after food. 

 

Squinting your eyes at L.Joe and scrutinising his every move, you took a seat at the table and continued to stare at him.  

L.Joe, catching on, suddenly felt slightly uncomfortable and scratched his forehead uncomfortably. *Maybe I shouldn’t have done that. Too far this time?* Heaving a heavy sigh, L.Joe parted his lips to speak but you held out your hand to stop him. 

“Shh!” It was your turn to hush him as you continued your stare and start cutting your waffle. Not once did your eyes leave him, not even when you drizzled your waffle with cranberry jam and dip it in whipped cream. And without a word, L.Joe just returned the stare and let his guilt sink in. 

But your stare was finally broken when you had a taste of the waffles and it was obvious that they were to your liking. “Did you make this?!” You asked, already cutting more of the waffle into pieces.

“Mhm. I’m quite the cook, so my mum tells me.” L.Joe’s chuckle wasn’t something you hear everyday but when you do, it stops you in your tracks. His childish laughter made him appear innocent, untouchable by the evils of the world. It would ring in your ears and stay there for a while, making you want more. 

*Maybe… just maybe… L.Joe isn’t all that bad…* But you quickly snapped out of it when you realised that L.Joe was giving you a weird look. 

“Um… You got cranberry jam on your shirt…” 

Looking down, you gasped at the pink stain now on your dress. “NO! And I just bought this yesterday… damn it.” 

While you were whining, L.Joe shook his head and walked off only to be back moments later with one of his baggy T-shirts.

“My mum’s clothes will look weird on you so here, wear this. I’ll wash the dress for you so you can wear it out again.” L.Joe casually threw the shirt in your direction and hurried you into the nearest room for you to change.

You walked out awkwardly, trying to pull the shirt down to cover more of your legs. *Can this situation get any worse?! If Woohyun knew about this, he would flip…*

You quickly handed L.Joe the dress and turned him away from you. “Don’t look at me and just take care of the dress first, okay? Thanks!” 

Hearing another chuckle, L.Joe replied with a quiet “Yes ma’am” and walked away to the laundry room. 

It wasn’t long till your dress was fully cleaned and dried, thanks to L.Joe’s handiwork. *Who knew he would be so good at housework…* You inspected your dress and found no hint of the stain anywhere. 

“Okay, thank you so much. I’m just going to change now.” As you said your thank you, you quickly walked into  a room and close the door behind you.

*Damn, she looked so good in my shirt…* Thoughts started forming in L.Joe’s mind but before they could take shape, a small creek was heard.

Cocking his head towards the origin of the sound, he saw that a door was left slightly ajar. *Oh, it was only-* But something else caught his eyes; there was movement. He walked closer and closer and squinted to see better. And just as he was about the reach the door it opened, revealing a completely clothed you staring at L.Joe face-to-face. 

“Um… can I help you?” 

L.Joe clucked his tongue. *Damn it, so close.* 

Raising your eyebrows, you took nothing of it and walked right past him, laying L.Joe’s shirt on the couch and grabbing your bag. “Thanks for the food, it was really good. And for getting rid of the stain. I’ll see you at school, bye!” 

Keeping it as short as possible, you dashed out the door before he could say or do anything, saving yourself from awkward small talk. *Phew, escaped!* 

L.Joe walked out and watched you walk away from his balcony. *Well… that was an interesting morning.*

 

********************

 

Finally arriving home after a long lecture, you found Woohyun in the kitchen cooking again. “Oppa!” You called. 

“~~~~-ah, good timing! Here, come try my waffles!”

*…Wait, what? Waffles?!* Discomfort flashed before your eyes as the things that happened at L.Joe’s house ran through your mind. You gulped, debating internally whether or not to tell Woohyun.

“Babe, what are you doing just standing there? Aren’t you going to come have some?” Woohyun beckoned you towards him with a gentle smile. 

Sitting down at the dinner table, you stared at the almost identical set up of waffles and jam. But the only difference was the jam. It was strawberry jam. 

“Thanks oppa. I’ll cook tomorrow, okay?” You gave him your usual sweet smile and began to eat. As you put a bit of strawberry jam on your waffle and took a bite, you felt it wasn’t right. 

*This strawberry jam doesn’t taste good with waffles… Cranberry jam definitely tastes better.*

As you ate, unease crept upon you as your mind bent towards L.Joe. *Stop it, Lee ~~~~. You’re married now! Have some respect for you and your husband! Stop thinking about L.Joe… Stop it…*

 

-------------------------------------------------------

 

Cupids~ 

Ahaha, yes…. it’s been like… 4 months.. I just finished my finals, yearlies, trials (I’m in my HSC year *sigh*) and I suddenly had the urge to write again :) 

Felt bad making you all wait till November for another update so I did this one for you guys yesterday ^^ 

Thank you guys so much for sticking by me. 

Until next time, Cupids~ <3