At Ease

Married by Day, Troubled by Night

 

The next morning, you sighed as you saw Woohyun’s back sipping coffee while intensely staring at the finance section of the paper. You crossed your arms, your eyebrows in a knot and tapping your foot impatiently but Woohyun didn’t notice at all. Deflated, you just grabbed your bag and left the house, mumbling a “I’m off” that was barely audible. 

 

It was the sound of the closed door that brought Woohyun back into the real world. “Huh? Did ~~~~ leave? …” Woohyun cursed under his breath, but he was still worrying over his father’s company. “Seems like I’m going to have to pay my old man a visit.”

 

********************

 

It was a beautiful day, with the sun proudly beaming its ray on the Earth, the clouds out of sigh for miles and miles away. And yet, you were spending half of it in a lecture hall. *I need a break from this…* You sighed, tapping your pencil on your notebook making muffled sounds. You pouted and looked around for something else that caught your interest because right now, listening to a Retails Services lecture really wasn’t engaging enough. 

 

A knock was heard and all heads turned towards the door. “Um, hello,” a male voice said, sounding nervous and slightly shaky.

 

The professor creased his thick, ungroomed brows and gave the young man a hard stare. “What is it that you want, young man?”

 

“Um… May I borrow Miss Nam ~~~~, please? Her professor from her Beauty Therapy major needs to have a word with her.”

 

The Retail Services professor sighed and waved you away. “Miss Nam ~~~~, you’re excused. However, please remember to read pages 250-280 by our lecture tomorrow morning.”

 

You inwardly groaned as you packed your books up but silently thanked the man outside. *Thank you so much.* When you made your way to the door, your eyes widened as you saw that your “saviour” just then was in fact Lee Byunghun. “B-Byunghun? It was you?”

 

Looking up from his thick bangs, a shy smile played on his lips and you swore he even blushed a little, but you didn’t want to embarrass him any more. “Um, I walked by the window and saw that you weren’t really concentrating so I thought that I should get you out of class and get breath of fresh air in you. I’m sorry if I butted into something I shouldn’t have…”

 

But instead of getting angry, you threw your arms around Byunghun and smiled brightly. “I couldn’t thank you enough! You really are my saviour, you know that?” A genuine blush painted Byunghun’s cheeks a new colour as he ducked his head under your arm and walked away with you towards a nearby cafe. 

 

********************

 

Woohyun breathed the fresh air with as he stepped out of his car. He took a look at the building that stood proud in front of him and admired it for the first time. *I’ve never thought of it but… My dad must’ve worked so hard for this… To provide me with wealth, freedom and trying to give me twice as much love.* A warm feeling trickled into Woohyun’s heart and tickled his insides. He loved his father, and wouldn’t know what to do without him.

 

The metal doors of the elevator doors opened for Woohyun to stumble upon his father on the phone. Walking around in circles while on the phone was an old habit Woohyun inherited from his father. Woohyun gave a little chuckle, just as his father stopped his circling and hung up. 

 

“Great news, son! Remember how I told you that our last deal didn’t go so well? Well, there is another corporation that is willing to take up that deal. Doesn’t it sound great?!” Before Woohyun could utter the first syllable in his word, his father butted in again, because of sheer excitement. “And what’s even better? They’re taking up the deal at an even higher price than before! Our company is going to be saved!” Mr. Nam gave his son a bone-crushing hug, something he hasn’t felt in a long time from his father. 

 

But all seemed too good to be true and Woohyun sensed it. So pulling his father away from him, he asked, “Are you sure there isn’t some really tiny fine print that’s attached to this deal? I mean… It sounds too good to be true.”

“Well… there is just one teeny tiny condition they have regarding this deal…” Woohyun raised his brow, unsurprised. After all, there’s no such thing in the world as free lunch.

 

“But it’s a small condition! Really,” his father reassured, “They just want us to attend a ball and meet you. Everyone has their eyes on you as the next Nam Corporation and he just wants to see if you’re a capable enough to take over when I retired.” The tired bags under his father’s eyes were larger than usual, which tugged at Woohyun’s heartstrings.

 

“Well… if it just means showing up to a ball, then I guess there’s nothing wrong with that. By the way, dad, who’re are we meeting… exactly?” The mention of a ‘he’ intrigued Woohyun.

 

“Oh, the CEO of Dae Han Co., Mr. Jeon. We’ve have become close lately due to repeated business meetings. Apparently, his daughter knows you and is quite fond of you too. So make sure you play nice on that night, okay?” His father patted his on the shoulder with a bright smile and made his way back to his chair, typing away to check stocks. 

 

*Mr. Jeon and his daughter… Who’s his daughter?* Woohyun’s brain churned for any information of Dae Han Corp’s daughter but his data base was empty. *Well, I guess she’s not all that important then.*

 

“Well, all’s well that ends well, right?” With his heart at ease about Nam Corporation’s state, he turned to leave when something popped into his mind. Turning slowly around, Woohyun leered at his father. “Dad… you did tell them that I’m happily married, right?”

 

Mr. Nam gave a cluck of his tongue as he was found out. Sheepishly looking at his son, he said, “Well… They didn’t ask so I didn’t say… But still! Be nice on that day, okay? I don’t want to lose this deal, it’s essential for the company’s survival!” 

 

Woohyun just smiled and shook his head. “It’s alright, it’s not like you’re getting me to marry her. Plus, polygamy is illegal in South Korea. See you, dad,” Woohyun gave one of his infamous winks and pressed the ‘Down’ button for the elevator.

 

“The ball’s on Saturday night! Don’t forget!” Mr. Nam yelled back.

 

********************

 

The coffees steamed and pleasant chatter was heard in the background. You and Byunghun were casually talking about anything and everything. Sometimes, the topic would even stumble onto Woohyun, which you thought that Byunghun was being a bit too enthusiastic about it.

   

“I don’t know… Sometimes, I just think that maybe Woohyun isn’t on the same page as me, you know? Like, he’s just dazed and he’s got something else on his mind.” You let out a sigh as you cupped your two hands and took a sip. 

Byunghun was about to reply when a vibration jolted him back. *Aish… Who is it this time?* Byunghun let out a little gasp and quickly checked his phone while you weren’t looking, stirring your cappuccino.

 

Make sure ~~~~ doesn’t appear at the ball on Saturday night held for Dae Han Corp. It’ll be the first time Woohyun sees me in a long time and I want his undivided attention. A double bonus if you can keep her away. - Old Hag

 

Byunghun sneered at it and clucked his tongue. *Such a nag. Shouldn’t be too hard. Man, I wish I could be there to see it… Maybe I’ll just sneak in with my mum after steering ~~~~ away… She’ll be helping out that night anyway. Awesome,* Byunghun thought, as he devised a whole plan in his mind. 

 

-------------------

 

YES! I KNOW! You guys don’t even need to remind me…. It’s been ages... I’m really sorry, but every time I don’t update for a long time, there always seems to be a maintenance going on and people lose things. So maybe it’s a good thing that I didn’t update for so long :D

But hey, would anyone like a guess are who this girl is? ;) I can assure you it’s no-one from 4minute :L 

& a massive thank you to --iloveonions :D I love this poster ! ^^ <3