Lunch Date

Married by Day, Troubled by Night

 

Sounds of sizzling was heard from the bedroom accompanied by the scent of freshly made soup. Stirring you awake and stretching, you rubbed your eyes and turned over, turning the clock to face you. “What…? It’s only 8.40… It’s still so early…” Noticing the emptiness beside you on the bed, you patted the empty space. “What is Woohyun doing up so early…?”

 

Plodding down the stairs heavily, your hands were preoccupied with tying your hair while your head spun and you were barely making it down safely. *I regret drinking so much after getting home…* You groaned inwardly and shuffled towards the kitchen. “Oppa… what are you doing?” Your morning voice wasn’t the most pleasant thing to hear, it was croaky at best. 

 

But Woohyun didn’t care for any of that and just smiled, leaning over the kitchen top to land a soft kiss on your swollen cheek. “You smelt so heavily of alcohol last night, I just thought that I would make you a nice breakfast so you would get over your hangover a bit faster. Here, I made you some haejangguk (hangover soup).”

 

Serving you a bowl of steaming haejangguk, you sat and stared at it in amazement. *But… the soup base… it takes hours to simmer the ox bone to give it its flavour. He didn’t… did he?* 

 

Looking up from the hearty soup, you questioned Woohyun. “You… did you go and buy this from a shop nearby?”

 

“Hey, I’m hurt! I just told you I made this! Why won’t you believe me?” Pouting with his perfect lips, you saw the black circles under his eyes and immediately took your words back. 

 

*Wow, he actually stayed up all night and made it for me…* Feeling touched, you cupped Woohyun’s face with your hands and planted a tender kiss on his lips, lingering for a while. The kiss spoke feelings of gratitude and apology you wondered if Woohyun understood. “Thank you so much. I love you.” The feelings of hate and distrust from last night melted away and evaporated. Knowing that Woohyun cared so much for you that he would sacrifice sleep just to make you soup was enough for you to know that anything he was hiding, it was with reason and that doubt was just a silly thought that has come and gone. 

 

Smiling in return, Woohyun set down pajeon (Korean pancake) next to your soup and went back into the kitchen to get himself his share. Sitting in front of each other and having breakfast, the two of you would exchange shy glances and giggle when one would catch the other staring. Like a couple on their first date, breakfast was as sweet as can be. But the atmosphere was to come to a pause when a buzz was heard from the kitchen. 

 

“Oh, that would be my phone. Lemme just get that,” Woohyun said, scooping another bite of pajeon into his mouth before rushing off to the kitchen to read the message. Drawing his brows close, his stared at the string of numbers. *Unknown number, huh?* Opening the message, Woohyun read it expressionlessly, without giving away any hints of surprise or shock. 

 

Good morning, Woohyun-sshi. I’m sorry if this text woke you up but I really wanted to give you my thanks for last night. To express my thanks, I would like to invite you to lunch at ‘Wings’ today at 12. I’ll be waiting for your reply. From Wooram

 

“Who is it?” You called, slurping your soup loudly and chomping down the beef. 

 

“Not anyone important, just a friend,” Woohyun replied while texting back a reply. 

Okay, no problem. I’ll see you there - Woohyun

 

“Hmm, is it a girl?” Squinting one eye and leaning forward, you took the position of a classic detective ready to  interrogate a suspect.

 

“Yes, it is.” But before you could gasp and jump into questions, Woohyun continued, “But she’s just a business partner, nothing more. So don’t worry. Plus, she’s nowhere near as hot as you.” Sending you a greasy wink, that was enough to satisfy your curiosity and let you continue enjoying breakfast without a worry in mind.

 

But Woohyun wasn’t as fortunate. *Why does she want to meet me… Last night was fun but I feel bad towards ~~~~… I’ll pay a visit to dad and see what he says about this.*

 

 

********************

 

 

“It’s up to you now, son. We’re planning to seal the deal tonight so whether you meet Mr. Jeon’s daughter for lunch or not is really your decision to make. I mean, it wouldn’t hurt to be well acquainted with an important business partner’s family but I wouldn’t want to burden you with faking friendships.” Woohyun’s father gave his son a pat on the shoulder and a neutral smile before walking back to his seat to look over business reports and past annual income reports. 

 

Sighing, Woohyun stomped one foot like a child and threw his head back. *Well that didn’t help at all.* 

“Alright, thanks dad. I’ll see you later.” Woohyun was met with a simple ‘Okay’ as a reply and walked into the elevator.

 

Watching the level indicator decrease, thoughts of the lunch date ran across his mind and a sudden spark came to his mind.

*Wait…. Dad said that the contract was going to be signed tonight… If I cut off my ties with Wooram-sshi at lunch, what is she goes and complains to her dad and I screw it up for everyone? Aish… I guess I’ll just go meet her and make her feel… I don’t know… Just as long as she doesn’t run to her dad and complain…* Straightening his tie and taking wide strides, Woohyun stepped out of the elevator with confidence. *I got this.*

 

 

*******************

 

 

“Woohyun-ah, here!” 

 

Her voice tinkled as it reached Woohyun’s ears, drawing his head towards the left and spotting Wooram, who was waving at him. Her smile was infectious and spread immediately to Woohyun. “Wooram-sshi. Sorry to keep you waiting.”

 

Pulling out a chair, the waiter immediately brought out a cappuccino with cream sprinkled with chocolate powder. “Oh, how did you know I drink this?” Pleasantly surprised, Woohyun immediately took a sip, filling his insides with warmth from the coffee and from Wooram’s thoughtfulness.

 

But Wooram only giggled in answer, “I’m glad you like it. How have you been Woohyun-sshi?”

 

“I’m good. I mean, not much can happen in a morning, right?” Chuckling, Woohyun continued to take sips from his coffee. *But seriously, how did she know how I like my coffee? Must've been a good guess.*

 

“You’d be surprised. And about last night… I’m sorry for telling you all those embarrassing stories about myself… Even thinking about it now makes me cringe. So please, let me treat you to lunch today,” Wooram offered, blinking her bright eyes. 

 

But Woohyun held his hand out and refused. “No way. How can I possibly have a lady pay? Especially one as beautiful as yourself. No, Wooram-sshi. I’ll be the one fetching the bill today, no matter what you say.” Flashing one of his signature smiles, Wooram held her rehearsed smile and radiated an aura as sweet as can be.

 

“I guess I’ll just have to settle for that then. But I still feel bad about it… How about… I now owe you a favour. If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to call me any time Woohyun-sshi.”

 

As people passed, unaware of the forbidden relationship brewing beneath them, the lunch date continued without an interruption. Laughing, eating and exchanging thoughts, to strangers the two seemed like any normal couple out on a date. But what they didn’t know was the manipulative intentions behind the two smiling faces.

 

-----------------

 

HALLO CUPIDS, haha. 

Are you guys surprised? That I’m back so soon? LOLL. I’m glad I could roll out another update before my holiday ends ^^ It’s like a present for you guys who have waited for patiently for me <3

 

Anyways, I don’t mean to be annoying but if there are any Shawols out there (or just anyone in general ;D) who’s interested in reading a new fic, please check out my baby sister’s fic, ‘A Maid’s Heart’ :) 

I promise, she’ll update way more frequently than I do xD So yeah~ If you guys have time, do go and check it out :3

 

Hopefully, I’ll be able to update ONE MORE TIME before school starts on Wednesday ><