Secret 35

My Secret Warrior

 

 

 

Baekhyun left the hospital after arriving there for only 30 minutes. He took a taxi home and decided to leave earlier because he was feeling unwell; not physically but mentally. He couldn’t stop himself from wondering about Dr. Jung. He had been thinking about Dr. Jung ever since the first time he saw him. Just what was this feeling that lingered around his mind for nearly a day already?

On the other hand, he was thinking about all the coincidences and revelations that happened in a mere a day. How they found out about Daewon having an elder twin; their history together and also, Mr. Han’s unfinished words. What was that visible scar?

Even though his mind was filled with so much unfolding thoughts, his eyes caught someone who looked very familiar in his eyes as he watched the person behind the taxi’s window screen. He swore he knew the person well; too well than other people.

“Stop here!” Baekhyun said in a high tone to the taxi’s driver.

The driver pulled to an immediate stop at the roadside as he asked for the taxi fee from the lad as the latter gave an exact amount of money to the driver before stomping off the taxi.

Baekhyun took unhurried steps to the person; a woman to be correct as he tried to have a closer look on the woman. Just as he expected, it was really her; the woman that he had missed so much.

A word that he used to say in the back days escaped his mouth, “Mum.”

The woman looked shocked to hear the voice; a voice that she had been missing for a long time. Albeit the voice had changed pretty much but she could still recognize it. Which mother wouldn’t miss her own son that she had a hard time giving birth to after having so many difficulties in life?

“B-Baekhyun?” Boyoung’s voice trembled as she stared at the young man in front of her. The bag that she held dropped to the ground with a small thud sound.

“Mum, it’s really you!” Baekhyun excitedly said as he threw his arms on the woman and hugged her tightly.

Boyoung’s eyes starting to form wet tears and her hands were shaking hard when she hugged her son back, “Baekhyun, my son.”

“Mum, where has you been gone to all this time? I’ve searched for you but I always failed to find you. Why did you run from me, Mum?” he desolately asked his mother.

Boyoung pulled away from the longing hug as she stared questioniongly at her son, “I thought you didn’t want me anymore that was why I decided to move to Daegu after the death of your father—I mean Janghyun,” her face changed at the mention of her late husband, Byun Janghyun as her eyes showed how she actually missed him.

“Why did you have such thoughts, Mum? Why would I throw you away from my life when you’re the only that I can rely on? I know I’ve been acting as such an ungrateful son to you, but I care for you so much. And Janghyun… he’s dead?” Baekhyun asked with a surprise face.

“It’s because you didn’t even go home to visit me or anything so I thought you’re happy with your life as the son of Jung Daewon. But what do you mean by I’m the only one that you can rely on? I thought you’ve never cared for me, I’m sorry for having such assumptions, son. And yes, he’s dead at a night where he was drunk after losing in gambling and hit by some gambler. He was dead in such a way that he’d never want to and it’s still a regret to me,” Boyoung sighed as she reminisced how her husband met his death.

“To be honest, I’m not happy at all, Mum. And I’m still not feeling happy even though I’m a son of Jung Daewon. I’m not treated with love and care although I can get the money any time and just any amount I want. I’m an abandoned child, Mum. He doesn’t even care for me and he treats me coldly as if I’m not his son…!” Baekhyun yelled out loud.

“You’re his son, dear. Please don’t say such thing. H-he must have a reason why he treats you that way. Maybe he is someone who doesn’t know how to show his affections towards people?” the mother tried to assure the angry son.

“Then why don’t I get the same treatment like Jung Daehyun? And why is it always Jung Daehyun? Why does he care so much for Jung Daehyun when he doesn’t even blink an eye at me! Ever since the first day I entered the family, I’ve been trying to please him in any single stuff. I’ve tried so hard to gain his attention on me, I tried to prove him that I’m way better than Daehyun but why doesn’t he see it? Instead he simply chooses to ignore me and makes me feel totally unneeded in the family. You don’t know how deeply hurt I am, Mum,” he expressed his inner feelings in front of his mother about how he had been feeling over the whole situation. It was hurt when people ignored your presence around them even though you had been trying so hard to show yourself but still got ignored and unappreciated in the end.

Boyoung felt bad for letting her son to be admitted in such a hard situation that she had never imagined his life would turn into like. If it wasn’t for her, his son wouldn’t be living this way, “I’m sorry, son. I’m really sorry that you become unhappy because of me,” she apologized to the teen as she cupped his face.

Baekhyun’s hands moved themselves up to his face as he held his mother’s fragile hands, “It’s not your fault and it’ll never be your fault, Mum. This is my own mistake. I was so stupid and thought life would be easy for me in such an instant way but it turned out that it’s not. Your son is a useless man, are you ashamed to have me in your life?”

The woman vigorously shook her head; denying what her son said, “It wasn’t your fault at all in the first place, son. This all comes from me, I’m the reason why. Why should I feel ashamed of having you as my son when it’s you who supposed to feel embarrassed to have a mother like me who can’t give her only son the happiness that he wants for? Do you know how proud I was when I first heard your cry? It’s more than enough to have you in my life, I can’t ask the Lord for anything else but you,” she genuinely said as a tiny smile was visible at the corner of her lips.

Feeling so touched with his mother, another hug was given from the son to the mother, “Please acknowledge that my love for you is the greatest love that I have to be given and I decide to give it to you, Mum. You’re the most wonderful among everything in the world and I’m truly blessed to have you and please don’t blame yourself for anything,” he told her.

Boyoung could only nod her head as tears were falling down her cheeks again, ‘I’m sorry, son. I’m truly sorry, my dear. Time will reveal it all.’

 

/

 

Baekhyun was sitting together with his mother in a small stall as they waited for their foods to arrive at their numbered table. He smiled at the woman who was still wiping her last drops of tears and helped her wiping her tears.

A smile was given from the mother, “Thank you, sweetheart. I’m sure all girls will fall for your charms,” Boyoung chuckled.

Baekhyun laughed half-heartedly to hear his mother saying such thing, ‘But there’s a girl who won’t fall for me, Mum. Guess I’m really losing this battle.’

Seeing how her son was falling into seas of thoughts, Boyoung’s memory started to recall things that she didn’t intend to keep in mind forever.

“You’re drunk, darling,” the young lady in a y tight and thin black dress told the man next to her.

“No, I’m not. But you are,” the man denied as he kissed the girl’s cheek.

The lass laughed drunkenly; feeling delighted to get a kiss from the handsome bachelor, “Stop it.”

Yet, the guy continued to kiss her cheeks which made the girl giggle before asking her, “Do you have any customer tonight, Boyoung?”

Boyoung’s eyeballs rolled upwards as she was thinking for awhile before shaking her head, “I don’t think I have one. Why?”

“Then, spend the night with me, will you?” the man asked in a seductive voice as he pushed her to the wall.

Another giggle was heard from the girl as she nodded her head, “Let’s go.”

 

/

 

Two months later…

She patiently waited for him at where his car was parked. Just then, she saw a familiar tall figure was walking to the car.

“Jung Daehan,” she approached him.

The said guy turned around and a shock look appeared on his face, “What are you doing here, Boyoung?” he asked.

“I want to see you because I have something to talk about,” Boyoung firmly said. This wasn’t something to be kept, she really needed to tell him about him before anything happened.

“About what?” Daehan nonchalantly asked.

“I’m pregnant,” Boyoung straightforwardly told the man who just began his profession as a doctor.

“So?” he gulped as he looked at their surroundings.

“I’m pregnant with your child!” the furious woman shouted clearly.

Daehan quickly clasped his hand on since he didn’t expect Boyoung to scream like that, “Do you need to tell the whole world that you’re pregnant with my child?!” he hissed right on her ear.

Boyoung slapped Daehan’s hand away from , “I just want to make it clear for you that you’re the father of this child I’m carrying,” she claimed.

That received a cynical laughter from Daehan, “Are you telling me that I have to be responsible about the child? You know that totally doesn’t make sense, right? Saying that child you’re carrying is mine is the most nonsensical thing I’ve ever heard,” he snapped.

“What do you mean that it’s nonsensical?! You think I’m lying to you?” the woman tried to control her anger from letting out.

“That’s what you’re doing right now. You do know who are you, don’t you? In case if you don’t remember, you’re a e and you sleep with different men every night and how do you expect me to believe it’s my child? Besides it was the only first and last time I slept with you so it made no sense at all, Ahn Boyoung,” he tried to reason her. No matter what the woman said, he wouldn’t ever admit the child as his.

Boyoung felt totally humiliated to be called as a e by a man that she was having a child with, “As a mother, I can tell whose child I’m carrying! It really is your child and he’s going to be named as a Jung!” she defended.

“Now you’re talking as in a mother, not a e huh? I am amused, Ahn Boyoung. Do you think you’ll have a chance to name him as a Jung?” he smugly asked.

“What makes you think that I won’t? Let the world knows he’s a child of Jung Daehan! And the early people I’m going to tell about this child are your parents! I’ll let them know that the son that they have been so proud about actually slept with a e and got her pregnant and most importantly, it shows that he’s no better than his twin, Jung Daewon!” Boyoung angrily yelled at him. This was the only way that she could threaten him with.

Agitated with the sudden mention of his twin, he irritably pushed Boyoung on his car as the latter winced with the sudden push, “If you dare to tell a soul you’re carrying my baby, you’ll be suffering more than you already are. Do you know what I’m capable of doing? I was able to persuade my parents to kick my twin out of the house, how about you? Perhaps you’ll be losing your child or who knows, your own life too?” he whispered those threatening words and from her frightened look, he could tell that he had intimidated her enough.

She stared at him with a pair of eyes which obviously showed great hatred, “You’re so vicious, Jung Daehan. I wonder why people don’t know that you’re actually a devil in disguise! And do note that you can kill me but not my baby!” she said as she pushed him away from her.

“Thank you for saying that, I appreciate your opinion about me. And by the way, there’s something that you need to do for me or I’ll really kill you; together with your baby,” he smirked at the last sentence.

“W-What do you mean? You’re not killing this baby, Daehan. Just no!” Boyoung shook her head as she put her palms on top of it.

“Then you must do this for the sake of your baby.”

“W-what is it?”

“Tell Misook that you’re pregnant with Daewon’s child.”

/

Boyoung was sitting on a high stool at the bar as her drink remained untouched. Her mind was so miserable that she couldn’t think properly. Daehan’s threats repeated itself in her mind for hours. She couldn’t bear to lose this child that she was carrying. Although she actually wasn’t ready to be a mother in such a young age, she knew the baby was the most wonderful thing that she’d ever had in life.

Her stare fell on the drink that was put on the table. Her hands slowly moved to hold the glass and before she could put the glass on her lips, a hand beat her to it as the person sipped down the alcohol in a go.

“Do you know what you are doing? You’re endangering your child!” he scolded her.

Her eyes got watery as she looked at him with sad eyes, “Janghyun, what am I going to do? How do I raise the baby by my own? I’m not that strong,” her head fell together with her tears.

Janghyun felt bad to see his best friend was crying. It was surprising to see her in her weak state because he knew she was always a strong young woman who could endure everything in her life. He wondered how he could help her at the moment. There was only a way that he could think of.

“Marry me, Boyoung,” Janghyun said in a breath.

Boyoung’s head snapped upwards as she stared at Janghyun with an astonished face.

/

It was already the fifth month of their marriage which meant Boyoung was at her seventh month of pregnancy. After getting married, they had moved to Daegu in order to avoid Daehan. Her tummy had grown bigger and she was so happy when the doctor told her that it was going to be baby boy. But something was bothering her mind.

“What’s the pregnant lady doing?” her best friend turned husband smiled at her.

She glanced at him for a second, “Thinking.”

“About?”

“I wonder if I should tell him about his real father,” she looked down on her bump as she it; feeling her child inside.

“In my opinion, you should tell him, Boyoung. He has the right to know but you’ll have to wait for the right time,” he advised.

“But I’m afraid if Daehan will really do what he had told me. What if he tries to kill the kid even though he has been born and grown up?” Boyoung expressed her worry.

“You’ll always have a second option, Boyoung.”

“What option do you mean?”

“Jung Daewon.”

 

/

 

“Mum?” the son waved his hand for a few times in front of his mother.

Yet, Boyoung was still recollecting the old times and didn’t even notice Baekhyun had been calling for her for a few times.

“Mum!” Baekhyun finally shouted but not at the full volume as he snapped his fingers loudly right in front of his mother’s eyes.

Boyoung twitched her eyes and she had a surprise look on her face when she stared at Baekhyun, “What is it, son?”

“Are you okay? You’re spacing out, Mum,” Baekhyun noted the elder.

“Oh I did? I’m sorry, guess I’m thinking too much nowadays,” she said.

“What are you thinking about?” the son asked.

Boyoung turned to look at Baekhyun and before she could reply him, her tummy was suddenly in a great pain and uncomfortable as she clutched hard onto her stomach. Her vision started to darken as her head was spinning as if it collided with a hard wall. As her eyes were closed by themselves, she could hear her son was shouting madly at her.

“Mum!”