Chapter 23

Strength in Weakness, Truth in Lies

"Seohyun-ah!" Siwon cheered, hugging his younger sister tightly. "Japan called me! I'm flying on Tuesday!"
"Really, oppa?" Seohyun smiled with her eyes. She knew that this is one of her oppa's dreams—to fly overseas and excel there to further his career. "Oppa..." she frowned in the midst of her excitement.
"Wae?" he asked, clutching her shoulders.
"You'll come back soon, right?"
"Of course!" he smiled. "Of course, I will. I'll be back before you know it." He flashed an assuring smile. "You have to live with Hyoyeon-ah for a while, alright? I already asked her to stay here for a moment til I get back... I'll be really quick!"
"Ne..."
"You better take good care of yourself while I'm away, eung?" he removed his hands from her shoulders.
"Ne..." she smiled. "Oppa have you said about this to your friends? How about the café? is eonni talking to you now?"
Siwon sighed and for a moment he kept silent. "Ah? N-ne... I'll just have to hand over my responsibility in the café to those three..."
"Eonni is talking to you?" she repeated.
He only shook his head, turning it down. "I feel like it's been decades..."
"Oppa! You should! You don't want to leave without saying goodbye to her, do you?"
"Of course, not... But I'm afraid I might offend her in some way, now... I don't want to burden her..."
Seohyun patted Siwon's shoulder. "But you should, oppa..."
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

"Choi seonsaengnim!" Sungmin smiled, waving to Sooyoung who is talking to Kyuhyun that bright Saturday morning.
"Eung, ne?" she turned her head to him, figuring out who is he calling out—her or the other Choi sitting in the corner with a Sunday paper on his hands covering his face. "Is it me, Sungmin-ssi?"
"Ah?" he scratched his head. "I shouldn't have used 'Choi', sorry... I just didn't noticed the other one whose face is covered with a newspaper..." he pointed out to Siwon who is then trying to calm himself as his grip on the paper become tighter.
"Sungmin-ssi!" Siwon stood up, forcing a bright smile like he couldn't care less about Sooyoung and Kyuhyun talking even if it's just business. "You're actually here! C'mon! We have something to talk about!" he quickly dragged Sungmin away from the place, with Sooyoung's eyes glued on them.
"Ya! Ya!" Sungmin yelled, removing Siwon's hands on his sleeves. "What was that for?"
"What about their business?" Siwon tried, pointing and glaring on the two through the glass. "What's up with that?"
Sungmin chuckled in disbelief. Is that what they're going to talk about? "What's up with you, Siwon-ssi? If you're curious, you can always ask them! Or Her..."
"I can't." he smiled. "That's why I'm asking you..."
"I don't know alright? Should I find them out for you?"
Siwon looked up, cautiously caressing his chin. "By the way..."
"Is this what we're going to talk about? Him and her?" Sungmin interrupted.
"No." he stated flatly. "I'm going to Japan..."
"What? What are you talking about?!"
"I've got a good resume." he smirked. "I'm leaving for Japan on Tuesday!"
"...and leave us?! Are you even kidding me?"
Siwon glared at him. Does he look like he's kidding?
"Alright... But what about the business? What about your sister? And..." she pointed to Sooyoung. "What about her?"
The mascular man sighed. "I'll go back soon. I'll be here before you know it."
Sungmin shook his head. "They'll be together before you know it."
"That's why I'm saying this to you, Sungmin-ssi... You better keep an eye on them, alright?"
"...and report everything to you?" he chuckled. "Man! You're something!"
Siwon just smiled shyly, turning his head to look at Sooyoung and Kyuhyun who just finished their conversation and is now preparing to leave. When he saw them coming out of the door, he tried to approach Sooyoung by calling her faintly.
"Sooyoung-ah..."
Sungmin, having concern for his friend, shouted, "Sooyoung-ssi!"
She immediately stopped and turned her head to look at him. "Eo? Ne? Sungmin-ssi?"
Sungmin pointed Siwon with his finger, signaling that he has something to say to her.
"Ne?" Siwon looked at Sungmin before shifting his eyes to Sooyoung who keeps on glancing on her wristwatch. "Ah.. Sooyoung-ah... Can we have some talk?"
"I'm sorry, but I really have to go."  she said before turning away to gesture Kyuhyun a let's-go. Then they both headed to his car and drive away. The tall man could only look with intense jealousy. Why are they always together nowadays?! Is there something going on that I don't even know?!
Sungmin laughed looking at Siwon who's very obvious. "She's always busy when it comes to you, eung?"
Siwon shot him a death glare, before slapping the paper his holding on Sungmin's tummy then walked away.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Kyuhyun-ssi..." Sooyoung glanced at him, who's sitting beside her, driving. She had decided to settle down with him the day after her and Siwon's argument. She knew that her feeling towards the tall man is something she could never explain anymore, and to forget him, she thought of using Kyuhyun as a pain reliever. A fill-in. A second choice. A rebound. She's wrong about that. Really wrong. But she feels like she can't do anything but to have someone to get rid of her thoughts about Siwon.
"Ne?"
"Do you think we..." she paused, swallowing her saliva. "We could... could we?"
He chuckled. "Why are you stuttering? We could what?"
"Could we..." she scratched her nape. "Err... nevermind."
Sooyoung was thinking of the right words on how to say, 'could we start all over again?' to get rid of her thoughts. She feel really confused about what she feels towards the man, and if, by any chance, it's LOVE, she figured out she'd better stop. It's not that she doesn't want to love him or in anyway near that reason, but there's just something inside her heart that tells her to stop—his girlfriend being the biggest barrier. Yes, she knew about Fany. And yes, she's afraid of loving him because she don't want to ruin a relationship. She could still remember the day, they talked about her.

"I miss my girl."
Sooyoung only looked at him, wondering who's the girl she's talking about. "Your girl?"
"Ne..." he turned to look away with saddening eyes. "My girl... Hwang Tiffany, that girl who left for America along with my heart."
She could feel her heart skipped a beat. There's something within those words of him that made her feel sick. "Ah... Eo, geurae?"
"You must've know her..." he tried to search for an answer in the confused girl's face. "Casting a Lonely Beam?"
"Eo? Ah... ne. I do. No offense, but I don't like that novel, honestly..."
"Non taken." he smiled. "She used to write lies... Those things are not even what that girl feels. She's opposite the main character."
She looked at him in his eyes. "Ah... arasseo."
"Communication is more blurry as every day passes." he frowned. "I wonder what she's doing now."
"She's fine." she tried to smile and felt the urge to give him a friendly reassuring hug. Closing her eyes, she thought to herself, 'Ne... I shouldn't.'

Kyuhyun caught her hands and pressed it, "It's alright, say it."
She looked at him, searching for some affection in his eyes. "Aniyo..." She flashed a Tororo smile. "I was saying, could we stop over some restaurant to eat before you drop me at Seodaemun?"
He smiled. "Of course... I don't want you to go hungry."
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Oppa! Call us, alright? You better take care yourself. Don't work yourself too much, arasseo?" Hyoyeon reminded him.
This is it. He'll fly for Japan any time this day. He's not happy nor he is sad. "Ne... arasseo."
"Oppa... don't be sad.." Seohyun pouted. "You'll do the interview and it's up to you whether to continue or not."
"Aja!" Yoona, whom he treats as his little sister too, cheered. "Hwaiting oppa! This is your dream, right? Go for it! Don't mind us!"
Siwon forced a smile. He was missing someone. He could hear Yoong's words but not feel it. He felt stupid for feeling that way. Gosh! They're your family, Siwon-ah! Why are feeling that way?! He felt like kicking and yelling at himself.
"Thank you." He finally spoke. "Thank you my dearest girls." He leaned over for a group hug. "I'll miss you. Take care of yourself and eat a lot!"
They chuckled, chorusing "We will, oppa!"
"Alright..." He smiled, with his eyes shifting from side to side as if trying to find someone. "I guess I'll leave now."
"Bye-bye oppa! Be quick!" They waved their hands cheerfully as he walked away.
Moments later, he saw himself, sitting alone and holding his phone faithfully with his eyes closed.
"Flight 261 from Seoul to Tokyo, Japan, please prepare..."
He could hear his flight number fading out of thin air til the thing he could only hear were the people's random chats about goodbyes. He stood up and walked a few steps forward. Pausing, he checked to see his phone again.
"Sooyoung-ah... Please call me. Call me, my Soo. Send me some message, tell me not to leave. Stop me from this... Run after me, chase me... Before I get on the plane, Sooyoung-ah... I'll stay for you."