Chapter 18

Strength in Weakness, Truth in Lies

Seconds turned to minutes, minutes turned to hours, hours turned to days and days turned to months. Yes. It's been five months already. Five months since they started putting up their little coffee house near her office, five months since she cursed her ex-lover, five months since the day his lover had left him and finally, five months since they have met.
Time had been so fast since they put their business up and she swear— time had been pretty playful with her. She's busier than ever! Apart from being a business manager who handles loads of works, here she was, started, yet again another business. She can't even remember why she agreed on doing this. Or can she? Yes! It was because of her ex-lover and her desire to show him how he's lost it. And she's been quite successful, though, she's not even satisfied. Much to her dreams of holding him once again, she feels like she just can't bear it. So, she ended up on pretending she doesn't even care a bit for him and—well, she's almost always joined with Siwon and feels like she's taking him for granted.

Here he is, standing by his window. He can't believe how fast time was! It's been five months since Fany left, five months of hardships, five months of missing and five months of waiting. Although, he gotta admit it, there were days he never even thought of her. There were many days. As time goes by, their communication grew hazy. Fany never even call him nor sent him an email. He's disapponted but God is good for giving him Sooyoung. Yes. The presence of Sooyoung means the world to him and he feels like he can't even imagine a day without her. And yes, he hates himself for that. He feels like yelling at himself for treating her like Fany. He knows it's wrong but he can't help it. The need to do so, is there. He'd been missing Fany for like decades now! It's sad. He knew he had been taking her for granted and sometimes feels like he is out for some rebound—that being Sooyoung.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

"Annyeong haseyo!" Eun Jae, one of the staffs greeted Sooyoung, who had been busy fishing for a pen in her bag.
Sooyoung didn't greet back, instead she sat down and ordered, "Espresso Macchiato, please." Before the staff can open , she interrupted, "Yes, it's on the go."
Eun Jae smiled. "Got it! One Espresso Macchiato for Ms. Choi, comin' up!"
Sooyoung, never really minding her, started to write random stuffs as soon as she found a pen in her bag. "Profit... eung, right, the cost of coffees... the marketing shares and stocks...No, no, no... Not these things..." She through the letters, indicating an erasure. "I better go check the inventory!"
"Playing busy on an early morning breeze?" Siwon popped out of nowhere which made her jump from her seat.
"You never fail to kill me, Mr. Choi." She smiled sarcastically. "Now, would you mind—moving alil bit? You're causing a distraction to this very busy lady." She pointed to herself.
"Oh? Does my handsomeness distract you? I'm sorry, but God is just so good to me."
She raised an eyebrow and faked a laugh. "Y'know what? I guess you better consult a psychiatrist!"
"Eh?" he sat beside her.
She derped, trying to heave a sigh. Patting the young guy's shoulder, she continued, "You know, Mr. Choi... This doesn't mean to offend you or what, but— YOU'RE CRAZY!"
He chuckled. "C'mon! I was only joking!"
"Whatever." she replied, rolling her eyes.
Eun Jae enters the scene as she handed Sooyoung her coffee. "Enjoy, Ms. Choi!"
"Wow!" Siwon exclaimed. "Espresso Macchiato, uh?"
"Want some?" she teased.
He shook his head. "Feasting over free coffees, Ms. Choi?"
Sooyoung's jaw dropped. "I'm not!" she defended.
"Don't get me wrong, but lately you've been ordering numerous coffees here in our café and—"
She raised her hands, signaling him to stop. "I laid penny for those. And this?" She raised the coffee cup. "I will pay for this, Mr."
"You better."
"Forgot that this is OUR business? Meaning, I have shares here and I won't let this business come to a close. Gee! You actually think?" she stated, having little coughs in between those words.
Siwon looked surprised. Here comes the bossy side of this young girl! Of course, I do! "Yes, ma'am."
Shaking her head disapprovingly, Sooyoung got up from her seat and took her bag, walking away from him. Siwon yelled, "Ya! You forgot to pay for that!"
Sooyoung stopped and closed her eyes, whispering to herself, "Seriously, this guy... I'm not even going to walk away and run from debts! No—actually, this isn't even a debt!"
Sooyoung walked towards the tall guy and gave him a deathly glare. Smiling, he playfully said, "What?"
"I'm going to pay for this." She replied, narrowing her eyes and fishing her wallet from her bag. Omo! Where is it? When she realized she's fishing for nothing, she quickly laid her bag on a table and began searching for it. Nothing. Her wallet is missing! Siwon crossed his arms and smiled, observing the young lady. "What is it, Sooyoung-ssi?"
She tried to smile. "You know what? I'm going to pay for this! Yes... I will."
"But?" he moved his face towards her and looked in her eyes.
She avoided it and continued, "But not now... I mean, not today."
"Because?"
"Because—I don't feel like paying today. Or... I just, aissi! Alright, I just lost my freakin' wallet!" She rolled her eyes.
"HAHAHA!" Siwon made an evil laugh.
Sooyoung looked at him, annoyed. She turned away and walked rather having an unsteady straight gaze, when she suddenly remembered that she lost her car keys along with her purse. She sighed. "This is bad." She turned to face Siwon who is having some coffee now, slowly walked and sat beside him. She cleared to get his attention. Having second thoughts, she uttered, "Siwon-ah..."
Siwon looked around, trying to find the person who just called him when, suddenly, his eyes caught Sooyoung. "Is that you, who called me, just now?"
She nodded. "Siwon-ah...."
"Moodswings?" he grinned at her, who looked at him with pitiful eyes. "Alright, what do you need?"
"I lost my key." she pouted.
"Oh... Then?"
"Would you mind... err... giving me a lift?" she replied, hesitating.
He half giggled. "Choi Sooyoung... tsk! tsk!"
"Please... Or I'm gonna be late."
He looked at her impatiently. "You always says you're going to be late."
"Please?" She ignored him.
He took a glance at his wristwatch and then turned his head to Sooyoung who is clearly looking like a child asking for some Peperos. "Aissi... This cute little thing! Why couldn't I say no to you?"
Sooyoung cheered happily. "Thank you Siwon-ah! You're the best!"
"Aren't you going to hug me?" he asked, standing up.
She frowned. "Why would I do that?"
"Because I'm the best." he joked to which she ignored and continued, "Now let's get going people!"
Sooyoung walked ahead of him but when she felt no presence behind her she turned around to only find Siwon looking at her with confused eyes at a distance. "Why aren't you moving?"
"Choi Sooyoung..." he crossed his arms and started taking light footsteps towards her. "Are you kidding me? Your office is just a few blocks away from here."
She rolled her eyes. "Yes! I know! That's why I need a lift! I'm not even going to my office..."
"Eh?"
"I'm going to Suwon to meet my client." She smiled, shaking her head because of some ache.
"To Gyeonggi-do?! What for?"
"You sound like it's a million mile away ride when it's just almost an hour. Yes, I'm heading to Gyeonggi-do TO meet my client..."
He gave her a dry smile. "I have a life too you know..."
"I know... But," Sooyoung is at lost of words. Here she is again... taking him for granted. "Can't you leave for school even just this once?"
Half giggling he remembered, "I remember having this conversation months ago... Let me think... Yes, you lost your key that night and luckily found me having coffee here, to drop you at Seongnam to meet someone... But then I was too worried about you, I ended up waiting and driving you home."
She kept derping at every sentence he said and pouted. "And I never even got to thank you..."
He pinched her cheeks. "I know." Then putting his hands back to his pocket.
"Will you give me a ride now?"
"Let me think..." he looked at her who is giving him a mild glare. "Alright, let's go, Ms."
Her eyes cheered up and she immediately went on to facing Eun Jae. "Ms. Gu, we're taking our time out, first..."
Eun Jae smiled and looked at the clock that's been hanged on the wall. "7:34am... Time out— Ms. and Mr. Choi..."
"I'm just going to give this girl a ride to Suwon..." Siwon smiled at Eun Jae, who is cleaning the table at the moment. "We'll be back later."
As they headed to Siwon's car, Sooyoung kept avoiding his glances which made her uncomfortable. Starting the engine, he looked at her and asked, "My Soo... what's wrong?"
Yes, My Soo.... he had been calling her that for months now and she doesn't even care. She couldn't care less about his affection towards her. There are times it would be uncomfortable—she hates it. Lie. She loves it and is confused about him doing those things. She feels like she have to rely on him and really badly wants to trust him fully but that just won't happen. At least on Sooyoung's thoughts.
The young brunette shook her head. "Let's go there fast."
He her hair on his fingers and continued, "You sure you're okay?" Driving, he laid his hands on her forehead which feels like steaming hot. "Aissi! This girl... You're sick!"
"I am?"
Driving faster and looking at the road while peeping small glances at the young woman, he said, "We need you to get to rest."
"Why?"
"Didn't you heard me? You're sick!" he clutched her hands and tried to put it in her forehead to see what he's talking about. "See?"
"Yes... I am." she replied, clearing . "And no, I'm not."
"You're not what? You ain't gonna take some rest?" he asked, sounding like a concerned dad.
"You're too much! You're not even my dad... Stop scolding me, Mr..."
He smiled wryly. "And stop sulking over it, Ms... I'm worried about you, you know..."
"This is just a fever, Won-won. This is not even close to serious, so there's no need to be worried." she facepalmed herself and laid her head on the tinted window of his car. Suddenly, it started raining and little droplets came dripping over the window which set the mood of the atmosphere as the conversation died down with Siwon glancing at her every once in a while with worried eyes.
"You sure you're okay?" he asked her again for the second time. She nodded and gave him a weak smile. "Do I look like I'm not?"
"Yes... That's why I'm asking you." he said but she ignored him. "You and your sudden moodswings... Frankly, Ms. Choi, you should just you know—soften things up a little bit. You're taking life too seriously."
"Aren't we supposed to? Take life by the horns?"
Shaking his head, he continued, "You, your point of views and your delusional reasonings..."
"What?"
He stopped the car as the stoplight turned red. "Would you like to sit there at the back, so you can at least rest? Or would you like me to get you some cold pack?" He looked around and found a convenience store at the end of the road to their left. "I'll just drop by to that store and buy you some, uh?"
Sooyoung shook her head and turned away from him, crossing her arms as she closed her eyes.
"Aissi... This girl...Don't be so hardheaded! I need to get you some cold packs, alright? This will only take a few minutes."
When the stoplight signaled them to go, he quickly drove over the nearest store he found on that place. Parking his car in front of the said store, Sooyoung gave him the weirdest look. "What?" he smiled. A smile so sweet, you would be drown of love. He patted the young woman's head. "I'll be right back."
The tall guy moved out of his car and immediately went inside the store to buy cold packs for it to lessen Sooyoung's heat. Sooyoung, on the other hand, felt like she's in a slow motion as she observed the man from the inside of his car. Somewhere deep inside things are really confusing her.
Siwon returned with the cold packs and a cup of hot tea. He entered through Sooyoung's door to check her out. Putting his hands on her forehead, he gasped, "Here. Drink this..."
She grabbed the cup and had some. "Tastes good."
"That should lessen your fever. And this..." he put the cold packs on her head. "Aigoo.. this girl gets sick more often than anyone I know... You don't even care about it."
Siwon continued on scolding her while she just look at him uttering nothing. Siwon-ah... why do I trust you? Why do I feel so secured when I'm with you? Why do I want to rely on you?
He gently poked her head and smiled. "You need to take care of yourself." He then closed the door and returned at the driver's seat. Putting on his seatbelts, he said "Just a few minutes more and we're at Suwon. You're not running late, are you?"
"I am... so, you better drive fast."