Chapter 21

Strength in Weakness, Truth in Lies

"I want the qualities to be the standard we expect." He demanded.
Mr. Namkung had been discussing about the plan they both are supposed to agree regarding the business they'll be sharing. Sooyoung had been keeping an eye on the woman whom Mr. Namkung is with—her aunt, which later on she figured out that she's with him now. 
That explains why I saw what I saw earlier. she thought.
Siwon, on the other hand, is just sitting in the lobby waiting for her while pretending to read a magazine but is really just watching over her attentively. Sooyoung wouldn't really talk to him after their 'argument'. After a long and light discussion about their business, both parties agreed on one thing: Mr. Namkung will prolong the deadline if Sooyoung will let him see two reviews about the homes' designs.
He offered his hand for a shake. "I'm impressed with you, Ms. Choi. We should be discussing further details soon."
Sooyoung took his hand. "Ne... Thanks for your time, Mr. Namkung!"
They both bowed their heads before leaving the place. As Mr. Namkung is already walking away, Sooyoung noticed her aunt who is not even moving an inch. The middle-aged woman uttered, "You're good."
She immediately stood up and looked at her aunt scornfully. "Good?" she chuckled, looking away. "Shouldn't it be excellent? This little girl you disowned and maltreated years ago is now a professional business woman." She flashed a sickening grin. "How about you? In what things do you excel? IN being a sister? A mother? Or... a husband-stealer?"
Her aunt's face turned red before lifting an eyebrow. "At least I didn't kill my mother." She stated, smiling then walked away from her.
Siwon saw Sooyoung's face turned into a vengeful ghost, so he stood up and tried to console her. She had already ran outside the hotel with him following her. As she was about to run again, Siwon had caught her in his arms. "Sooyoung-ah...don't."
"Let go!" she yelled before pushing him. "What are you doing?!"
"Alright..." he nodded. "Let your feelings come out for now."
She shot him a despised look. "AAAAAHHHH!" she screamed. "I HATE YOU! I DON'T NEED YOU! I DON'T NEED ANYONE'S HELP!"
"Sooyoung-ssi..." he tried to hold her hands but she cut it right through at once before turning away. "STOP! STOOOP THIS, SIWON!"
"I understand you, SYoungie..."
"No! No one understands me!" she turned to face him. "Can't you stop? Please just stop! Let's end it here."
Siwon could feel the tears filling his eyes. "Don't be like that...Don't say that."
"Siwon-ssi, I killed my mother." she directly said, quickly, "I killed my mother."
"No, you didn't. Don't blame yourself, Sooyoung-ah!"
She chuckled lightly. "See? You don't understand me, you don't know me. I'm a murderer. I kiled my mom. That night... that one cold night, I was hesitating on whether to take the hose from or not, but I did it anyway.." she sniffed, as tears continued falling down her rosy cheeks. "...for the fear of what our lives will be. If my eomma lives, she'll be miserable... if the operation failed, we'll be needing more money..." She paused, looking at his eyes. "Wake up, Siwon-ssi... I'm not the girl you're supposed to be helping. You don't even know what really happened to my past..."
Siwon seemed confused and it took him a few times before saying, "Sooyoung-ah...it's alright." That was all he could say, for now.
"It's not! It's never alright! Listen to yourself! You're a fool if you say it's alright!" She yelled.
Siwon facepalmed himself, searching for the right words he could say to make her feel better. He patted her shoulders instead, as a sign of reassurance that he'll always be there for her.
Sooyoung held his hands, slowly removing it from his shoulders "Siwon-ah! You scare me the most, do you know that?! I'm afraid I might..."
"I'm sorry..." he interrupted.
She shook her head firmly as she sobbed and sniffed. "Can't you understand?! YOUR EXISTENCE MAKES ME SUFFER MORE! HOW I WISH YOU WERE JUST GONE! I WISH I HADN'T MET YOU!" she yelled, before turning back and running away.
Siwon just looked at the fading image of the girl as his vision became blurry because of his tears that finally made its way down his cheeks. "SYoungie... I'm sorry."
He walked around the place for a moment, without knowing where he is heading, as Sooyoung's words kept echoing on his mind. The words were like poison stabbed in his heart, he was just too hurt.
Minutes later, he does't seem to know, but he find himself calling Hyoyeon. "Hyoyeon-ah..." he muttered.
"Eung? Waeyo, oppa? Is there something wrong?"
"Could you... err... please check out on Sooyoung, if... she's safely home?" he asked.
"Ah? Alright... I will be passing by her place anyway, so..."
"And please—" Siwon paused as he looked at his phone screen saying: 'battery empty'. He threw a punch in mid-air, totally stressed out. He thought Hyo didn't get his message so he decided to go by her place himself.

Soon he found himself standing in front of her door, hesitating whether he'll call out to check if she was there or not.As he was about to knock on her door, a voice came from behind, so he turned to see Hyoyeon. "Oppa? Why are you here? I thought you said I'll check her out."
He smiled. "I thought you didn't get my message cause my phone battery went empty..."
Hyoyeon walked towards and observed him. "Your eyes were red and tired... what's wrong?"
"Nothing..."
For a second, Hyoyeon looked at Sooyoung's door before shifting her eyes to her cousin. "Did you have some fight?"
"No... it was just some misunderstanding..."
She patted Siwon's shoulder. "Tell me about it."
Siwon flashed a weak smile. "Should I stop being around her? She told me not to interfere with her life again and that... that this is the end."
"What happened?"
"She said she killed her mother..."
"What?!"
Siwon looked at his cousin with pleading eyes. "Hyoyeon-ah... what should I do? All these things.. were my fault."
"Oppa..."
"Hyo, it just hurts a lot! Seeing how miserable she is and how I can't do anything to make her feel alright." he said with a vague hint of love.
"Oppa..."
"I want to hug her." he muttered. "I want her to feel secured... I want her to know that I'm always here for her... I don't think I can leave her side, Hyo."
"Oppa!" she yelled, audible to the whole building. "Stop that! What are you saying?! What exactly are you thinking?! Have you gone mad? Don't you remember what I told you months ago?!"
He looked through her. "No, I didn't."
"What are you doing, then?! I told you not to treat her like Fany, right?! She's not and she never was her!" Hyoyeon facepalmed herself with disappointment written all over her face.
"I'm not! I AM helping her." he denied.
"No, you're not. You're slowly falling for her..." she defended then continued in a somewhat serious and deferential manner. "Oppa... Don't engage yourself too much with her. It's not that I don't like her being with you, I just don't want Soo to be hurt again. Never."
"Hyoyeon-ah.... as much as you don't want to see her be hurt, i would never do that." he assured her.
"Listen to yourself, Siwon oppa! What if you fall for her? And what if she does too? What will you do when Fany comes home?! What will you explain? Who will you choose?" Hyoyeon said gingerly, directly thinking about the future. Siwon seemed speechless so she continued, "Oppa... I'm sorry but you're not helping her. Can't you see, we'll be owing her big time... I'm still paying for my debts."
"What are you talking about?"
"Oppa..." she looked at him with pitiful eyes that seemed to be asking for assurance. "I'm the reason behind Kyuhyun and Sooyoung's sudden breakup."
"What?"
"Don't you remember the day my mom called Seo announcing that I will soon get married to a professor?" she asked. "I was that girl. I was the 'friend' who crashed them. I feel like a wrecker for ruining their relationship because of that stucked up arranged marriage!"
She sniffed, defending, "But I didn't know! I didn't know oppa! I have no idea about what's between them! He never mentioned it and she never did! I didn't know! I didn't know!" A tear fell from her gloomy eyes.
Siwon, looking at her, sighed. The picture was becoming more blurry now that the truths were starting to be unveiled one by one. He gave her a brotherly hug, patting her head. "Don't blame yourself, Hyo... It's not your fault. You said you didn't know... It's alright." he tried.
"Oppa... now that you know why I don't want to see her hurt again... Please understand... Save your heart for Fany... Save it and wait for her to come back."
Siwon, having second thoughts, said "I understand." Thought deep inside, he's really not sure about what he's feeling for Sooyoung. Is it just sympathy? Or is it already more than that?

I don't know Hyo... I don't think I can promise you. he thought, closing his eyes.