Chapter 15

Strength in Weakness, Truth in Lies

The night was pouring rain and the roar of the wind were heavy. It's been hours since Siwon got to his bed but the sound of the rain just kept on waking him up. He will turn to the right side, then to the left, sleep straight, scratch his head, cover it with a pillow or hide inside his blanket; still he couldn't have a good and sound sleep.
It was already 3:00am when he decided to get up and went to the kitchen to have some tea. While he was sitting on one edge of the dining, the image of his parents flashed on his mind.

FLASHBACK:

A boy was left at the corner, shivering out of coldness. He just sit there, rubbing his hands together as he blew warm breath into it after another. It was a bitter cold  and lonely Christmas night. He got up and walked slowly towards the Christmas tree, hoping that the Christmas lights will make his spirit high. He pouted and sat in front if it, waiting for his parents.
"Appa, what is it that is talking you so long?" He muttered as he started untying the ribbon on one of the gifts under the tree. He haven't noticed that he slept, holding the gift against his chest. He woke up but still, no sign of his parents. He then reached for the phone to try to call them but still no answer. He went upstairs out of his disappointment, walking straight into her little sister's room. He tried to wake her up, "Seohyun-ah! Seohyun-ah!"
She lazily opened her eyes and rose from bed, stretching her arms. "Eung! Wae?"
"Do you know where mom and dad went?"
She stared at him then shook her head. "Oppa... they're still not home?"
"Yes... It's already 2am. They said they will be here before Christmas eve."
Seohyun could feel her eyes b with tears
. It was just so sad not to have your parents beside you to celebrate Christmas. She pouted and began complaining to his brother, "Oppa! Why were they like that? Eomma and appa, didn't keep their promise! We'll have Christmas without them?"
Siwon patted his little sister's back and assured her, "Maybe they're on their way." He smiled and tried to cheer her up. "C'mon now, my dongsaeng! Let's eat our home-made tiramisu cake!"
She wiped her tears away. She always thought that her mom's tiramisu is the best in the world. She smiled warmly to his brother and followed him. They went in their kitchen; Siwon prepared the plates and took the cake out of the fridge as Seohyun quietly and excitedly sat beside him. They exchanged glances and shouted, "Merry Christmas!"
They chuckled and played as they finished their food. Seohyun gasped, "Eomma's tiramisu is the best!" Siwon smiled at the sight of his cute little sister and responded, "Of course!"

There was a moment of silence when they heard the doorbell rang. The siblings rushed their way to see who it was. "Eomma! Appa!" Seohyun shouted in excitement before they could open the door; only to find a silhouette of someone they thought they didn't know.
"Siwon-ah! Sooyoung-ah!" It was their aunt. She was holding a paperbag, freezing outside. She immediately walked inside the house and closed the door. The tired woman made her way to the kitchen to drink some water as the children followed her, startled. "Aunt, is there something wrong?" the curious Siwon asked.
Their aunt just tapped the boy's head and hurriedly carried little Seohyun up to her bed with Siwon following them. The middle-aged woman tucked Seohyun into her bed. "Aunt?"
She caressed the little girl's face and kissed her forehead. "Little Seo... You need to sleep now."
"Aunt... aren't we going to celebrate Christmas? Where is our parents?" Seohyun looked at her.
Her aunt just smiled. "We will. You just sleep now... When you wake up later, we will have some party!"
Seohyun cheered, nodding. "Yes, auntie..."
"Sleep now, sweetheart. You have to rest." Her aunt continued caressing Seo's face as the little girl closed her eyes. She turned off the lamp beside Seohyun's bed.
Siwon just looked at her aunt and her little sister who is a little confused about what is happening. "Aunt?" he called.
Her aunt turned her head to Siwon. "Siwon-ah..." she stood up and gently grabbed Siwon out of Seohyun's room and closed the door. She kneeled in front of Siwon and held his arms tightly. "Siwon-ah... Hurry! Grab on your coat! We have to go somewhere!"
"Eh? How about Seo?"
"That's why I let her sleep... We won't be long, I promise! We'll be here before she wakes up. Now, hurry!"
Siwon quickly dressed up and grabbed his coat. He heard her aunt talking to someone on the phone with a shaky voice but he ignored it. "Aunt...what's happening?"

"Appa!" Siwon cried at the sight of his own father who is covered with a white blanket. "Appa!" He tried to take the blanket out but his aunt just won't let him. The young man continued on doing so, until he was tired. Until he can only mutter the words, "Appa...Appa..."
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Siwon shook his head, trying to stop himself from remembering his past with another sip of coffee. He laid his elbow on the table with his head rested on it like a lazy bum. He then stried to stretch his head, rotating it. "Geurae... Sooyoung is the one I'm looking for. We shared the same past. I know what she's going through." The tired man stood up, covering his face with his palm, stretching his arms. "Sooyoung-ah!" he screamed, jumping as to have some exercise.
The young man headed back to his room and reached for his phone, lying straight on his bed with his clenched fist on his forehead. He just kept looking on his pictures together with Tiffany. "Fany-ah... you better not leave me." He kissed his phone screen. "I'm missing you badly!"
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

It's an early Sunday morning and Sooyoung was busy editing their market plan wearing her reading glasses. "Alright... There you go!" she said with one last click on her laptop. She stretched her arms and neck, standing up from her seat. "Never had a good night sleep! Aissi!" Her phone rang suddenly and she annoyingly answered it. "Eung! Yeoboseyo?!"
"Kyaa... aissi! This girl. What has gotten into you?"
"Ya! Siwon-ah! Don't you dare disturb me right now!"
"Why?"
"Can't I get a good night sleep, even just this once?"
He chuckled, shaking his head. "Choi Sooyoung... It's already dawn."
"I know! So I'll be sleeping! Don't call me!" She was about to put the phone down as Siwon interrupted, "Baboya!"
She sighed, rolling her eyes. "WHY?!"
"I'll pick you up later." He smiled. "Aren't you going to go to church?"
"Ya... It's past 3 in the morning! Churches open at 6am..." Sooyoung sarcastically said, lying on her bed lazily.
"Are you going to—"
"Yes! Of course!"
"Let's go together?"
Sooyoung put her palm on her head. "What?! Can't you go by yourself?! Seriously..."
"Ya! Ya! Choi Siwon-ah!" Before she could even complain, Siwon had put the phone down. "Aissi... is he really this dependent?!" She laid back and put her phone on the bedside table. She tried hard to sleep but the sound of the rain just won't let her. After an hour of a troublesome and suspended sleep, she got up.
She sat on a chair near the picture window and looked at the view outside. The wet street after the rain just make it more gloomy, now that there are less people outside. The road looks slippery. Cars were few. Busy people walking around either talking to someone on the phone or carrying their suitcase, reviewing papers. The day was just beginning...
She smiled and played Yiruma's music.The blending was really good. She loves to do this. Yiruma's music on rainy days is just the perfect idea to have some sentimental feeling. She picked out a book to read and stayed in that position for quite a few minutes.She was already loving the scenario when someone pressed the bell's button outside. She nearly jumped out of her seat and never realized that the book she's holding fell off her hands.
"Good morning!" greeted Siwon with a smile on his face.
"What are you doing here?"
"Can't you please let me come in, first?" he derped.
She took a few steps backwards, looking at him who is moving towards her. She rolled her eyes and closed the door. "Why so sudden? It's just 5am..."
"Earlier the better." He smiled, with his hands on his pocket. "C'mon, Ms. Choi! I'll wait for you outside..."
"Eh? Then why did you even got up here, when you could call me that you're here? I could just go down an—"
Siwon covered and chuckled. "Just hurry up."
She slapped his hands away. "I didn't even agree of you picking me up..."
Siwon closed his eyes, muttering, "You like Yiruma's music? They're relaxing, right?"
"Eung..." 
"I didn't know you love instrumental music..."
"Yes, I also love listening to ballads...especially on rainy days." She smiled, tying her hair into a bun and making her way to the bathroom to brush her teeth.
Someone knocked on the door all of a sudden. Siwon just looked on it, turning his head to the bathroom, he shouted, "Sooyoung-ssi!"
"Eung?"
"Are you expecting someone?"
She thought for a moment. Who would visit her at this time of day? Hyoyeon? Sica? Yuri? Kyuhyun? ....she just feels so clueless and is hesitating whether to open the door or not. "Ah—Just..."
Before she could even utter another word, Siwon nodded and took it as 'Open the door, babo!' So, he stood up and open the door.
"This is Choi Sooyoung's apartment, right?"