002

The Reunion

 

 

“It wasn’t that bad, right?” Taeyong smiled as they stepped out of the house, Nanhee glanced at him.

“Your halmae doesn’t like me, huh?” She nudged him before looping her arm around his.

“Why do you say that? She likes you.”

“Ani, she didn’t really talk during dinner.” Nanhee shrugged.

“The women in our family…they’re not really the type to talk. You should meet my sister.” Taeyong chuckled.

“I’m serious. She doesn’t like me.”

“Or she’s probably not sure of you yet, she just met you, Nani.” He said playfully, she shook her head at his nickname for her.

“She’ll warm up to you soon,” He said as they reached his waiting BMW i8.

“Right, I haven’t met your sister. I should prepare myself.” Nanhee murmured, Taeyong laughed.

“She’s not that bad.”

“As your halmae?”

“Cut it out. Like I said, she’ll warm up to you soon.” Taeyong winked at her before opening the door.

“Soon…like ten years?”

“We’re probably married by then.” He mused before giving her a quick peck on the cheek and going around to the driver’s side.

“Cheeky bastard.” Nanhee shook her head with a smile before getting inside the vehicle.

 

 

Minah set the pen down just as she heard her son, Jonghwan hop in the room.

“Ready for some snacks?” She usually spoke Korean to them at home.

“What are we having, eomma?” He asked as he lifted himself on the chair.

Jonghwan is the eldest, being three minutes older than his twin.

“Sandwiches and some cookies.”

Sounds good!” Her youngest, Minjung walked in the room, carrying her iPad.

Did your father call?” She asked as she set out the plates for them, she saw the two maids come out of their quarters to help, Minah just shook her head at them.

“Yes, appa says hi.”

Minah just nodded and served some orange juice for them.

“Eomma, don’t you miss Korea? Taeyong samchon thinks you do.” Minjung chatted, Jonghwan started eating.

“I don’t. I like living here with you two.”

“Eomma, that’s different, we get to go home once in a while when appa sends the jet for us.”

Minah leaned on the counter, their father never let them fly commercial and he would always asked the kids if they wanted to stay for a couple of weeks just to bond with them.

“Home?” She echoed.

“Yes, home.” Minjung even translated for her, Jonghwan was already on his second cookie.

“To me, it’s not longer home. Korea…is no longer home for me, darling.” She said with a cool smile.

“But it’s nice if we could just fly to Seoul and have fun.” Minjung pouted, Minah smiled and kissed her cheek.

“You always have fun with your father when you visit. Eomma’s fine with staying here, LA is home now.” She said before going to the living room.

Oppa, stop eating! That’s my share!” She heard her youngest complain, Minah smiled to herself and leaned against the wall, her eyes went to the outdoor pool and she exhaled.

Home.” She whispered to herself before crossing her arms.

 

 

Taeyong set his fork down and stared at his grandmother in confusion.

“What do you mean, halmeoni?” He spoke, he saw his mother fidget on her seat uncomfortably.

“I do not approve her. I was just being polite last night and treated her like how I would a guest, but that woman,” The elder snorted.

“I did not bring her to dinner so that I could ask for your approval.” Taeyong quipped.

“Taeyong-ah,” His mother said gently.

“Stop seeing her. She doesn’t suit you.” The elder stated, Taeyong tossed the napkin on the table.

“How could you bring a woman like that to this house?”

“Halmae, she~”

“I don’t care. I don’t care if she’s kind or that you already love that woman. Get rid of her, or else I’ll do it for you.” She snapped, Taeyong stood up and shook his head.

“Sit down.” She ordered.

Taeyong just walked out of the dining hall, moments later the two ladies heard a loud purr of a car’s engine and it sped off.

Lee Ahee leaned down on her seat in defeat.

“Fix this. That woman cannot be.” The Lee matriarch stated before going back to her meal.

“But eommonim~”

“I said get rid of her. Talk to your son.”

 

 

Minah was wearing an oversized Balenciaga hoodie as she boarded the plane with her two children, the twins looked cranky and sleepy as they were led to their seats.

“Is this what our classmates say…..commercial flights?” She heard Minjung whisper to her brother, they were inside the business class area.

How do they survive this?” She said impatiently, Minah just sighed and helped them to their seats and wrapped their Hermes blankets around them.

Where are we going, mommy?” Jonghwan yawned.

“Seoul. Something bad happened.” She said softly.

“What?” Minjung asked, the stewardess placed some water and juice inside their cubicles.

Eomma will tell you once we land, for now, just go get some sleep, okay?”

They both nodded.

Never unstrap your seatbelts, alright?” She reminded them again before going back to her seat.

Minah took her seat and shook off her ponytail; she leaned back and looked at the windows.

She opened her phone again and her brows furrowed.

“Eomma, what happened to you?”

She browsed through her contacts briefly; she paused when she found the name she was looking for her.

Jongin

 

 

“Aniya, there’s no need to tell him. It’s just for a few days.” She murmured before switching the device off and closing her eyes.

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++