005

The Reunion

Nanhee stepped inside her department, her officemate and good friend, Jimin walked to her.

“Well, how was it?” She asked the girl as they walked towards their cubicles.

“You met the director’s sister, right? I heard from rumors~”

“The rumors were right. She’s a complete goddess.” Nanhee sighed as she sat down.

“Ice princess?”

“Not really, she was really nice. She even invited me over for dinner.”

“She likes you then!” Jimin grinned.

“But I realized something,” Nanhee murmured.

“Taeyong, he’s probably surrounded by women like his sister. Glamorous, smart, I mean, how did he end up~”

“Don’t go there, Nanhee.” Jimin warned her.

“Just think about it, he’s LeeSan’s next president, and he’s dating me.”

“Yeah, I saw how much he had to go through to get your attention.” She said dryly, Nanhee eyed her friend warily.

“You kept on ignoring him because of your bias against chaebol boys, you hypocrite.” She chuckled.

“I was just being careful.” She muttered.

“But you fell for him anyways, well, who wouldn’t? With that face, he’s a total prince.”

“A total prince,” Nanhee repeated, her brows met as she remembered the way the Lee matriarch looked at her during the dinner.

She just sighed before turning on her computer screen.

 

 

Kai smiled as he watched the twins argue over the Monopoly board, they had just turned six a few months ago and he had flown over to LA to celebrate with them.

In a way, Minjung was so similar to Minah, she was usually quiet around new people and yet when she’s with old faces, she turns into a chatterbox.

“Appa,” Jonghwan gave up the board and walked towards him.

“Hmm?”

“Whose ring is that?” He spoke, Kai blinked.

“I saw it. You’ve been hiding it in your pocket.”

“Ah, it’s for an event later. Do you want to order ice cream? I can have secretary Min bring them over.” He asked and bopped his nose playfully.

“I want strawberry, daddy!” Minjung raised her hand, Kai smiled and nodded before picking up his phone.

“Eomma only eats fruit flavored ice cream, appa.” Jonghwan said before walking away from him.

Kai paused; he turned towards the glass windows.

“Lee Minah,” He murmured.

 

 

Minah set the bag of potatoes on the cart, her exhaled and chewed on her lip. She looked around her as if trying to remind herself that she was back in Seoul.

“What happened earlier, Lee Minah?” Sehun’s bored voice made her roll her eyes, her friend was on the line.

“I met my brother’s girlfriend, duh.” She said through her Bluetooth earpiece.

“I meant with Kim Jongin.”

She paused.

“I understand if you’re awkward with him, but in front of the kids? Minah, no.”

“I don’t know how to act around him, okay? I haven’t seen him…in a while, I mean, I do, but just briefly when he visits LA. I just leave the kids with him, I just..”

“Just act like how you normally would. It’s just Kai, Minah. Despite everything, he’s still your friend.”

Minah bit her lip.

“I know it’s hard, Mimi. But you said you wanted things to be like they were before, so, be friends with him.”

“You do know that Kai complicates a lot of things for me, right?” She mumbled.

“It’s the same for him too, so, be fair and try talking to him again, okay?”

She sighed before ending the call.

“Do you really think I’d let you grocery shop alone?”

She looked up and found her brother walking towards her.

“Did you drop her off at work?”

“I did.” Taeyong nodded and pushed the cart instead.

“Tell me what happened.” She nudged him, Taeyong loosened his tie and glanced at her.

“I brought her over for dinner at the mansion.”

Minah nodded and picked out the vegetables, Taeyong jutted his lips towards the carrots.

“I thought things were going well, noona, eomma was actually enjoying herself. She and Nanhee talked a lot, but the next day,”

Minah placed some carrots on the cart.

“Next day?” Minah asked.

“She told me to stop seeing her and that Nanhee didn’t suit me.”

Minah’s forehead creased.

“Do you want to know what I’ve been thinking?” She spoke softly, Taeyong nodded and gestured for her to walk.

“I knew this would happen.” She spoke, Taeyong looked at her.

“Halmae’s right. Nanhee isn’t..exactly in our social circle, and you are the only male heir, so I understand her hostility towards her. She’s not in our level, a commoner and~”

“Noona, you’re not taking~” Taeyong didn’t know what to say.

“You were expecting me to say that, huh?” She shrugged and buried her hands in her pockets, Taeyong exhaled.

“I was just thinking in halmae’s way, I mean, it’s true. But it doesn’t matter.”

“This,” Minah pointed towards his heart.

“That’s the only thing that matters now, so, I hope Nanhee remains strong too. Halmae wont be easy to defeat, my baby brother.” She smiled at him.

“If you’re so wise about this, why didn’t you remain strong before?” Taeyong asked, Minah paused.

“Taeyong, I~”

“Noona, you don’t know, do you?” Taeyong stated.

“About what?” Minah looked at him, the younger Lee just stared at his sister.

“I—It’s nothing. What else do you want to eat? Pork?” He asked before walking ahead of her.

“Noona will stay a little bit longer. I will help you with halmae. I like her you know. Nanhee.” She said as she looped her arm around his, Taeyong smiled and didn’t reply.

Noona, Kai hyung’s getting married soon.

 

 

“She took a cab?” Minah asked as they entered Taeyong’s house.

“Yeah, she’s a little intimidated by you.” He mused as he set the shopping bags on the kitchen counter.

“I like her. She’s nice, she gets along with the kids too. Amazing.” She chuckled.

“What did you say?”

They both froze, Taeyong looked up.

“H—halmae,” Minah spoke.

“You like that girl? You let your sister meet that commoner?!”

Minah stepped in between her sight of Taeyong.

“Halmae, it isn’t like that, Nanhee is not that type of girl.” She reasoned calmly.

“That type of girl? So you know what I’m thinking, very good, Minah.” She nodded, Minah winced.

“Halmae, what I meant was that~”

“She’s probably just with you because of the money, Taeyong. Just listen to me, and stop seeing her!”

Minah looked at her brother, Taeyong’s jaw clenched and unclenched.

“I already told you, halmae. I never asked for your approval.”

“Do you think I’d let that girl in our family? Never!” She yelled.

“Halmae, don’t do this, Taeyong~”

“Stop taking his side! You and I know that girl isn’t suited for him. Do you think I don’t know? She works at the company.”

Minah paused, she glanced at her brother.

“See, Minah? She’s probably just using your younger brother, so talk some sense into him and tell her to stay away.” The elder pointed towards behind them, Minah blinked in confusion.

“Now you know what I think of you, stay away from my grandson.” The Lee matriarch spat before storming out of the house.

“N—Nanhee,” Taeyong spoke, Minah’s eyes widened.

 

 

Nanhee was standing in the living room, teary-eyed and shaken.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++