006

The Reunion

Minah was pacing back and forth in front of the gates; Taeyong and Nanhee were both inside. She didn’t know what to do; Nanhee had heard everything halmae had said.

She ran her hand through her hair and puffed her cheeks.

“My a little bit longer may become really longer.” She mumbled, and then she jumped when a car suddenly halted before her.

“Minah!” Kai slid down from the driver’s seat, she swallowed.

“Eomma, why are you outside?” Jonghwan asked as he slid down from the vehicle, Jongin lifted Minjung in his arms before walking to her.

“Something…big happened,” She bit her lip.

“Did Taeyong samchon cook? We’re hungry.” Minjung frowned.

“Uh, Taeyong,”

Kai looked at her questioningly.

Minah galcned at him, her brows met briefly.

“I know it’s hard, Mimi. But you said you wanted things to be like they were before, so, be friends with him.”

“It’s the same for him too, so, be fair and try talking to him again, okay?”

“About earlier, I’m sorry, Jongin. I was a little rude,” She started, Kai blinked at her.

“You said you wanted to talk,” She said with a smile.

“Oh, right, I have things…How about dinner?” He asked.

“Yeah. Sounds great.”

“Yeay! We’re eating!” Minjung cheered, Kai helped her back to her seat, Jonghwan beamed at his mom before climbing into the car.

“So, what’s wrong?” Kai asked as he opened the door for her.

Minah pushed the door back.

“Do you know?” She said meaningfully while glancing at the house, Kai nodded.

“Halmae was inside the house, waiting for us. She started…saying these things about Nanhee and Taeyong,”

“She’s against Nanhee.” Kai said.

“And Nanhee heard it all, she was already inside the house.” She shook her head.

“I don’t know what to do, I want to help Taeyong, but..Nanhee heard it all. And we both know halmae can be~” She exhaled and shook her head. Kai’s eyes went to her bare fingers, his brows met briefly, and then he took her hand in his.

Kai’s thoughts went to the ring inside his pocket.

He felt Minah tense under his hold but she just looked at him, Kai smiled at her and gave her hand a slight squeeze.

“Breathe, Minah.” He said softly.

“I just…I know I have to stay in Seoul longer to fix this, but being home doesn’t exactly sit well with me right now.” She sighed again.

“Then, if you decide to stay longer, tell me. I’ll arrange the pent house again.”

“Kai, you don’t have to~”

“I transferred it to your name after you left. It’s yours.” He said simply before opening the car’s door again.

Minah just exhaled before sliding in the vehicle.

Baby steps.” She murmured.

 

 

“Nanhee, I~”

Nanhee stepped back from him, Taeyong halted.

“I—I have to go.” She said before turning away from him, Taeyong panicked and ran after her.

“Nanhee, please,” He spoke as he reached her hand, Nanhee didn’t face him.

“I’m sorry, Nani. I wanted~”

“How long were you going to keep this from me?” She asked, he looked away.

“She hates me.”

“Nanhee, she doesn’t~”

“You don’t have to lie to me, Taeyong. I heard it all, I can understand Korean perfectly.” She shrugged his hand off her and faced him.

“Nanhee, what my grandmother said, it doesn’t matter to me, you matter more.”

She started to shake her head.

“Nanhee, please, listen~”

“I can’t do this right now, Taeyong. I have to go.” She said before walking towards the doors and leaving the property.

Taeyong let out a shaky breath before turning away.

 

 

“They’re having a field day.” Kai mused as he looked at the windows, they were dining at a kiddie restaurant, and the twins were at the playground with a bodyguard watching them.

“It’s been a while, how are you?” Kai faced her, Minah paused.

“You know, I’ve been avoiding you for almost six years now, Jongin.” She said, Kai looked away.

“I just…I thought it would be awkward and all, I mean, I was the one who left and..hurt you.”

“Minah, don’t.”

“But, seeing the kids with you, I realized how lacking I have been. I mean, those two have never seen us together in one room, and did you see while we were eating earlier? Jonghwan was so chatty and Minjungie didn’t even quarrel with her twin.”

“We both needed space.” Kai said.

“That’s why I’m trying..ani, I will try being friends again.” She extended one palm to him, Kai paused.

“We were friends, Kai. At some point..we were.” She repeated, Kai could only smile back.

“Sehun gave you an earful, huh?” He teased before taking her hand and shaking it.

“Just the half of it, he’ll probably continue tomorrow.” She chuckled, Kai paused again, there it was.

Her smile.

“So, what did you want to talk about, Kim Kai?” She met his gaze before picking up her glass of juice.

“Ah..It’s nothing, it can wait. Let’s join them.” Kai urged before standing up from his seat and walking to the playground.

Minah let out a shaky breath and puffed her cheeks before following him.

 

 

Taeyong leaned back on his seat and pushed the folder away from him.

“Director,”

He looked up from his desk, his secretary walked in the room with his sister in tow.

“Hi,” Minah smiled at him, he shook his head at her. The secretary discreetly left the room.

“Halmae…is being too much, noona.”

“I know. I’m sorry about last night.”

“I just..I don’t understand, noona. I mean, Nanhee isn’t like that. You’ve met her.”

Minah sat down.

“Maybe, laying low for a bit will be good. I mean, halmae’s realy mad~”

“Laying low? Nanhee didn’t do anything wrong. Why do we have to do that?”

“Taeyong-ah,” Minah met his gaze.

“You’re just saying that so you can leave right away.” Taeyong stood up, she sighed.

“Taeyong, you know I don’t mean that. I’m just saying, halmae’s heart….isn’t as strong as before~”

“I’ve sacrificed too much, noona. When you left, I was tossed in this place, to take care of LeeSan before I could even received my diploma from school.”

She looked away.

“Why can’t they just let me have one thing? Why can’t,” Taeyong trailed off, he picked up his coat.

“Taeyong, let’s talk about this. I’ll try to~”

 

 

“Don’t, noona. How can you help me when you’re facing issues yourself?” He stated before leaving the room.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++