001

The Reunion

Calabasas, CA

 

 

A young lady, clad in a pair of Calvin Klein denim jeans and a floral Dolce and Gabbana top stopped before the snacks shelf and looked at the list on her hand.

“Cereal and milk.” She murmured, before she could push her shopping cart forward, her phone started to ring.

She looked at the iPhone’s screen and her nose scrunched.

Hello, mother.” She said wanly as she walked.

“Where are you? Do you know how stressed I am?” Her mother started complaining.

“I’m outside the house, doing some grocery shopping, what’s stressing you out?”

There was a short pause.

“You do your own groceries?” Her mother sounded scandalized.

“Of course, I do.”

“You know how to? I didn’t teach you that!”

“Eomma, you never do grocery shopping.” She rolled her eyes.

“What are you doing with your life,” The elder muttered darkly, she grinned.

“Eomma, what’s bothering you? You only call me to rant.” She spoke as she looked at selection of milk before her.

“So, I scheduled this dinner at home, your grandmother insisted on cooking up one of her old recipes.”

“Hmm, sounds great.” She nodded as she placed two cartons of milk on her cart; she headed for the cereal aisle.

“And your brother said he’d be bringing his girlfriend! His girlfriend!”

She sighed.

“Eomma, he’s not a kid anymore, why are~”

“It’s a girlfriend we never heard about. And he’s bringing her to the mansion, that means he’s serious!” Her mother panicked.

“And..what is so bad about that?” She chided as she stared at the box of Lucky Charms.

“We don’t know this girl. What if your halmae reacts badly? What if this girl is like on of those villains in the drama? She’s just out to date your brother for his money~”

“Eomma, stop watching dramas, okay? And, give them a chance. If your son wants to bring her home and introduce her to our crazy family, why not, right?”

“You always give in to him.” She mumbled.

“Because I’m the best noona there is. I’ll call you later, eomma. I have to pick up the twins from school.”

“Okay, be careful. Visit Seoul.”

“Yes and no.” She chuckled and ended the call before her mother could nag her again; she put on her sunglasses and checked the time on her Piaget wristwatch before heading towards the counter.

 

 

Lee Minah leaned back against her black Range Rover as she waited outside her children’s private academy; she looked to her left and noticed the black Suburban.

She puffed her cheeks; it was she and the kids’ security detail, courtesy of their father. It was something they had agreed upon and he claims that it helped him sleep better at night.

Her phone started to ring, she looked at the screen before picking up.

“Taeyong-ah,”

“Noona, have you been well?”

“I should be asking you that, I heard about the dinner.”

Her younger brother chuckled from the other end.

“I haven’t met her.” She said.

“Because you never come home.”

“I’m busy to come home, how’s work? Has dad been pressuring you too much?”

“Hmm, not really. I mean, sometimes he mentions that it would be better if you were to help us, but all in all, work’s fine. LeeSan is doing well.”

“Our inheritance is doing well.” She mused.

There was a short pause, Minah exhaled.

“What’s eating you, Tiyongie?” She asked softly.

“I’m worried, noona.”

“About?” She looked up and saw the twins exiting the gates, she glanced at the two bodyguards, and they both nodded and walked towards them.

“About Nanhee,”

“Nanhee? What about her?” Her brother and her always communicated despite their busy lives, and sometimes she had to squeeze out details from him.

“I mean, we both know how halmae can be, right?”

Minah started to blink.

“Well, yeah, but don’t worry too much about it. But, Taeyong-ah,”

“What?”

“What does her family do again? Nanhee?”

“Ah, her father works as a manager at one Lotte’s department stores and her mother sells life insurances.”

“Right, I almost forgot. Anyway, the kids just got out of school. I’ll call you later. And good luck.” She smiled.

“Yeah, noona. I’ll have someone send kimchi and those cookies from Insadong that you love so much.”

“I know, I love you too.” She chuckled before ending the call.

Mommy!

She looked up and opened the car’s door.

How was your day?” She smiled before letting her eldest son kiss her cheek, then came his twin.

It was fine, but then oppa had to steal all my snacks.” Her youngest, pointed out before touching the pink ribbon on her hair briefly, Minah chuckled before helping them to their seats.

She then closed the doors.

We’ll be tailing you to the house then, ma’am.” The guard said, she nodded before looking at her phone again.

“A manager of a mall and someone who sells insurance,” She repeated.

“He needs help.” She murmured while thinking of her grandmother before getting inside the car.

 

 

Seoul, Korea

 

 

“Are you sure about this?” She asked as they walked in the restaurant.

“Guys!”

They looked up as his friend, Yuta waved at them from their table.

“Of course, eomma said she wanted to meet you.” Taeyong smiled as he pulled the chair for her.

“Is it your first time meeting the family?” Yuta grinned at the girl.

“Don’t.” Taeyong warned him before picking up the menu, the girl smiled hesitantly.

“Yes, but I’ve met his nephew and niece.”

“It’s always fun when those two visit.” Taeyong mused.

“What about noona? Is she not even going to visit and check on you?”

The girl glanced at Taeyong.

“I don’t think she has plans to.” He replied.

“So, what’s she like? Mrs. Lee and Taeyong’s grandmother.” The girl asked, Yuta chuckled.

“You have nothing to worry about Auntie Ahee,” Yuta started as the waiter came to get their order.

“But, I feel like you need noona for this.” Yuta stated, Taeyong chuckled.

“Your sister? Why?” She asked, a small frown appearing on her face.

“Noona has a way with the elders, especially with my grandmother. But don’t worry,” Taeyong took her hand in his and kissed the back of her palm.

 

 

Lee Ahee watched from the windows of her room as her son’s black Maserati entered the estate, she leaned against the window frame and saw a young lady, dressed in a teal colored dress slide down from the car.

She nodded to herself before heading out of her room; she could hear the Lee matriarch barking orders from the living room.

“Halmeoni!” Taeyong said brightly as he entered the house, he walked to his grandmother and gave her a hug.

“Good, you are here early. How are you doing?” She asked and gestured for him to sit, Taeyong looked at the girl behind him and stretched his hand to her.

Mrs. Lee saw her mother-in-law’s brows go up when her eyes landed on the young lady. 

“And who is this young lady, Taeyong?” She spoke, her tone neutral.

And neutral wasn’t a good thing.

“Oh, halmae, this is my girlfriend, Nanhee.” Taeyong said with a smile, Nanhee then bowed politely. Ahee saw her mother-in-law's eyes scan the girl, her eyes went to the girl's Casio watch and faux pearl earrings.

“It’s nice to meet you, ma’am.” She spoke, the elder glanced at Ahee.

"Same here, miss Kang." She replied evenly and gave her a smile that didn't reach her eyes.

“Eomma,” Taeyong walked to her and kissed her cheek, Nanhee looked at her and smiled.

“This is~”

“Let’s chat at the gardens, dinner’s ready!” The elder ordered, Taeyong blinked.

“And, Ahee?” She spoke while walking away from them.

“Yes, eommonim?” She patted his son’s cheek before following the elder.

The Lee matriarch glanced behind them, Taeyong was showing his girlfriend one of the paintings hanging on the wall.

“Now tell me, my daughter-in-law,”

 

 

“Why is your son, my grandson, dating a commoner?”

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++