THE FRAGMENT OF LOST MEMORIES

IF THAT IS OUR FATES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

SONG Qian lost her words when GrandMa Ling passed her an old picture which it was a picture of a her when she was kid with a boy stood beside her. She was holding a stalk of rose, looking at the front while that boy kissed her cheek. Then she took the album beside GrandaMa Ling, turned every page and there were a lot of pictures Mrs.Vera with her family but why any single piece of memory about Mrs.Vera and that boy never exist in her brain?

     “Grandma, why I never see these pictures before? Why I don't remember about that woman and who is this boy?” she looked at GrandaMa Ling and begging for her explanation. She tried to recall anything that could give her some hint but she failed, it only made her head ached.

     “That kid is Nichkhun, Vera's son and the man whom you met just now,” Song Qian surprised at her words, couldn't believe that cute kid was him and they had met when they were kids. GrandMa Ling felt that she should tell her everything since she had met with Nichkhun and Mrs.Vera again.

     “Why I can't remember anything about them?” Song Qian said in furious as she started pressed her temple with both hands, head felt more heavy and hurt when she forced the brain to recall those missing memories.

     “Qian, that's enough. Don't force yourself, it is not your fault you can't remember about them,” Song Qian looked again at those pictures and GrandMa Ling didn't answer her question yet.

     “Did you hide these pictures from me because of my condition?” she looked at her grandmother, guessing that she must had the reason did so. After they all involved in the accident which took her parent's life, she faced temporary amnesia and short term memory, that was what GrandaMa Ling told her.

     “After that accident, you wanted your memory back so badly and forced yourself to remember by looking at album picture. When you couldn't do so, you pressured yourself until faint and after you woke up, you forgot what had happened,” Song Qian listened to her explanation and she still remember about that, searching for the missing memories. She could remember easily about GrandMa Ling, about her parents and her friends by looking at the pictures.

     “You could remember everyone but not anything about Horvejkul family. Because I don't want you to force yourself anymore on that time, I hid every picture about them,” after she recovered from injury, doctor confirmed that she lost some of her memories and it were all about Horvejkul family. She didn't remember that Mrs.Vera used to visit her, she didn't remember she had met Nichkhun and she didn't remember anything about them.

     “So, why they are coming now? What did she mean by I'm going to be that guy's wife?”

     “Your mother had promised Vera that she would marry you with her son and now she come here because of that promise. Vera proposed you for her son,” Song Qian felt her world suddenly became dark after heard that, couldn't believe that her late mother had chosen her future husband.

     “How did you answer her? Did you accept her proposal?” she asked GrandMa Ling in anxious tone, worried if she already accept the proposal without asking her permission. GrandMa Ling didn't know where to start, gave thought whether she should expressed what was inside her mind or just kept it them.

     “Yes, I've accepted it,” GrandMa Ling deceived her. She did this for her grand daughter's sake, feeling that she should have better life than living here, forgetting her dream because wanted to accompany her in this old house. GrandMa Ling knew that Song Qian would lost the place to rely on after she died, that was why she thought that Song Qian should marry with Nichkhun.

     “Grandma, why did you accept it without telling me first!” she pulled her hand from GrandMa Ling's gripped and stood up, angry when she did the decision on her behalf.

     “Qian, listen to me. I accept it for your own good, you should have better life in city, not in this village. You're still young, still have long journey to go and I don't want you to forget your dream because of me,” GrandMa Ling explained in weak tone, hoping she would understand her intention for did that.

     “Grandma, are you selling me to her? Do you think that I will live happily with that guy? Do you think I will have a good life if I have rich husband? I don't know him and how do you expect me to accept a stranger in my life and as my husband?” she cried out before ran leaving the room.

     “Qian, wait!” GrandMa Ling wanted to chase her but she forget that she already old, didn't have much energy left to get her grand daughter.

     “I did that for your own good. Believe me and sorry because deceiving you,” she whispered and watched Song Qian's figure lost from her sight.

 

“MOM, are you out of mind? How do you expect me to marry that fusty woman? I won't do that!” Nichkhun tried to control his volume as they were both in the car now and the low temperature of air-conditioner couldn't ease his anger at all. This was the craziest thing his mother wanted him to do and she didn't have right to interfere in his personal life.

     “It's up to you. I've give you the choices, marry her or I will donate all the properties to charity fund or orphanages,” Mrs.Vera hated to used that dirty trick but she had no choice. Rather than watched his son hang out with a lot of women for fun, she was forced to take that step to save his life from went overboard.

     “Mom, you can't do that! I don't know her, morever, I've Eun Jung!” he yelled in frustration, hated when Mrs.Vera threatened him using that weapon.

     “You had met her when you were kids and you know her! You just don't remember anything about this village because that stupid drugs had cleanly washed your brain. About your girlfriend, I know you'll leave her after you fed up with her. I know you well, my son,” Mrs. Vera looked at Nichkhun's face that became darker when she talked again about his old life. 13 years ago she sent Nichkhun to live in United State with her sister and studied there but it turned bad. She wouldn't know since when he took ecstasy pills and other drugs if her sister didn't found those stupid things in his room. Luckily, his addiction towards those stupid drugs could be overcome after sent him to rehabiliation center.

     “I've told you not to talk about that matter again,” his voice became slack, threw his sight to outside the window. He was still young at that time, still immature and wanted to try many new things. He chose wrong people to be his friends and they dragged him to that dark world and only God knew how suffered he was during the rehabiliation period.

     “I just remind you for the lesson. Anyway, it's up to you to make the decision and I want the answer before we return to Seoul,” Mrs.Vera stepped out of the car and saw Song Qian came out from the house, rushing wore her shoes and ran leaving that place. Nichkhun saw she ran from inside the car, assuming that she must have received the same news as him, about the marriage that had been planned since they were kids.

    “Qian, where are you going?” Song Qian ignored Mrs.Vera and when she ran passed the car, Nichkhun tried to remember anything about her. Not only about her, he also couldn't remember anything about this place. Was it true that he used to come here when he was child or Mrs.Vera deceived him so he would fall in her trap? But somehow he couldn't deny that the longer he was here, the more he felt familiar with this place.

 

THE stream of warm river water that soaked her feet and green forest scenery couldn't cheer up her mood, still felt angry toward GrandMa Ling because of what happened just now. Didn't she love her? Why she wanted to send her badly to the city? Wasn't she happy with her by her side? She sat on the big rock and kicked one of her feet upward, making the water splashed and scared the fishes that happily swam around that area. After the water became calm, Nichkhun's face appeared on the water  surface, making Victoria surprised when he stuck out his tongue at her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter