HARDEST MOMENT IN OUR LIVES

IF THAT IS OUR FATES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

SONG Qian was standing outside the balcony room, smiled happily as she was talking with GrandMa Ling over the phone. Her nights for past two days were boring because Nichkhun wasn't here, went to Jeju Island for four days to attend meeting there. She couldn't wait to meet her as Nichkhun had promised they all would go to Yuchi-ri village after he return to Seoul and mentioning about him, she couldn't deny how she missed him badly liked a people who was crazy in love.

     “Qian, are you still there?” her delusion went away, embarrassed noticed she was thinking about Nichkhun just now.

     “Yes, GrandMa. I'm listening to you. By the way, I bought some clothes for you with my first salary. Oh Gosh, I can't wait to see you wear it,” her voice sounded really excited, made GrandMa Ling cracked a relief smile noticed she was enjoying her new life there.

     “Qian, are you happy?”

     “Of course GrandMa, I learnt lot of things here and Mr.Hong said I do have talent to work as a secretary,” she replied happily, moved from the balcony into the room.

     “That's not what I mean,” Song Qian frowned at her words, wondered what else she refered about?

     “Are you happy with your husband?” GrandMa Ling's question surprising her and how she supposed to answer it? Her sight caught Nichkhun's picture on the table, took the frame picture and brought it closed to her face. Was she happy lived with this guy? GrandMa Ling still waited for her response, hoping the answer from her didn't make she felt regretted for giving her to Mrs.Vera.

     “Erm, I'm happy with him,” she said with a blissful smile as that answer was came from deep inside her heart, making GrandMa Ling smiled in relief and happiness. Now, she could close her eyes with ease thought her decision was correct since the beginning.

     “That's relief. I hope both of you can live happily ever after. Give birth to pretty and handsome grandchildren for me, just like you and Nichkhun,” Song Qian's face turned red, embarrassed when GrandMa Ling said those words. Children with Nichkhun? That such kind of imagination never existed in her brain until GrandMa Ling mentioned about it.

     “Er, anyway GrandMa, the clothes I bought for you really pretty,” Song Qian immediately changed the topic before GrandMa Ling discussed further about that matter and thank God Nichkhun wasn't here because he absolutely would laugh if he looked how red her face at that moment. After ended the call, GrandMa Ling threw her sight at their family picture on the nightstand near her.

     “Do you hear that, Xia, Jae Soon? She is happy with her new life now,” she said in blissful tone as eyes focused at two of them, proving that she had taken the right decision. Suddenly, she felt suffocated inside her chest, rubbed it to ease the uncomfortable feeling as she cought severely. Lately, she didn't feel well but she hid it from Song Qian, pretended to be healthy every time Amber came to visit her.

     “Looks I have no much time left. I maybe follow you guys soon,” she said in weak tone, laid down her old body on the thin mattress with frame picture on her chest. She held it tightly, smiled thought the happiness that she had experienced throughout the life time as her eyes gradually close, praying for God to always gave bless to her precious granddaughter before they completely closed forever.

 

AFTER she ended up the call with GrandMa Ling, there was another incoming call which made her suddenly flustered when she looked the ID caller on the phone screen. She cleared , took deep breath first before she answered the call.

     “Hello, Nichkhun,” she tried to control the tone as this was the first time he called after office hour. Since this morning, he kept called her every two hours, sometimes every half an hour and asked the same question repeatly.

     “Erm, Qian. Is there any problem in office?” that question again. Didn't he have any other question to ask?

     “No, everything is fine. Is there anything else do you want to ask?” Song Qian tried to hide the disappointment and on the other side, Nichkhun was walking back and forth in his hotel room, bitting nails as his brain was craking to find more questions to ask. Actually he also didn't know what had happened to him, called her many times and asked the same question but those were just the excuses to hear her voice. His man pride stopped him from expressed what was exactly inside him.

     “Nichkhun, are you still there?”

     “Oh, yes..yes. What about Mom? Is she doing well?” he clenched his teeth after asked a stupid question, mad at himself because that was not exactly he wanted to say.

     “Yes, she's fine. Erm, if you want to know more about her, just call her. Anything else you want to say?” all her excitement just now went away in just a blink of eyes.

     'Khun, what are you doing?! Ask about her! Why are you so stupid?!' a voice from nowhere whispered angrily in his ear, incited him to follow his command.

     “Erm, nothing. I think that's all,” Oh, God, what did I say just now? That was not he meant at all and he cursed himself for that.

     “If that's so, I hang up the phone first. Goodbye,” she totally frust and when she was about to end it, Nichkhun stopped her.

     “Wait, Qian! Wait,” he shouted in panic, causing her to put the phone on her ear again.

     “Yes, anything else?”

     “Err..how about you? How are you doing?” finally he asked it, face and ears already turned red because he had no idea why he extremely embarrass to ask her such kind of questions. Meanwhile, Song Qian speechless when he asked her the questions she waited the most, confused whether she was in a dream or in reality.

     “Me? Haha, I'm fine. How about you?” she answered awkwardly, could feel her cheeks hot.

     “Erm, I also fine,” then, there was a silence between them as he ran out the idea to ask her more questions. Song Qian also didn't know what to talk about as this was the first time their subject of conversation wasn't about work.

     “Qian..” he broke the silence by calling her name tenderly, caused her suddenly blushed after noticed the changes in his voice tone.

     “Yes..yes, what is it?”

     “Sleep well and have a sweet dream tonight,” he said almost in whisper and Song Qian bit her lip in shyness listened to it.

     “You too. Good night, Nichkhun,”

     “Night,” after she hung up the phone, he threw himself on the king size bed, giggled in embarrassment as he covered his red face with pillow. Finally, he could sleep well tonight after restrained himself for more than a day from asking her those questions.

 

THE weekend she experienced today was totally different from previous weeks, had no idea why she felt extremely uneasy as soon she opened the eyes from sleep. Mrs.Vera who just entered the dining room, frowned watched Song Qian looked at outside without blinked her eyes and her face, she looked upset. Why? What had happened? She startled when Mrs.Vera patted her shoulder from behind, lip forced to curve a smile at her mother-in-law.

     “Qian, what's wrong? Do you have a problem?” Mrs.Vera sat beside her, worried if she might have fight with Nichkhun but she shook her head, smiling weakly before she forced to eat a spoon of fried rice in front her.

     “Come on, Qian, you can deceive anyone else but not me. Your expression when you lied is similar with your mother,” she could detect it because just now, Song Qian didn't dare to look into her eyes at all. Should she told Mrs.Vera what she felt inside her?

     “I'm sorry, Mom. I just...I don't know how to describe it but I feel uneasy since I woke up from sleep, like something bad is going to happen,” she finally expressed her anxiety, squeezed Mrs.Vera's hand firmly as their eyes met. This morning, she called GrandMa Ling but she didn't pick up the phone, assumed she was going out to somewhere and every time she tried to ignore it, that bad feeling became stronger.

     “Maybe it is just your feeling. Just ignore it and everything is fine,” Mrs.Vera tried to ease her feeling by saying those words but suddenly the sound of broken glass from living room surprising them.

     “What happen?” asked Mrs.Vera as soon she arrived in living room and saw the maid collected the broken glass on the floor.

     “I'm sorry,Madam. I want to clean the dust here and unaware this frame picture fall on the floor. I'm sorry, Madam,” Song Qian covered with hand when the broken frame picture contain the picture of her family. Was this a bad sign? Mrs.Vera looked at her pale face, tried to convince her it just an accident, everything was fine but it didn't work. She knew something bad was going to happen and she immediately took out the phone, dialling Amber's phone number.

     “Hello, Amber. Where are you? Can you please take a look at Grandma for me? She doesn't pick up my calls,” she said in anxious tone.

     “Qian, what happen? Why you sounded so worry? I'm about to go there to send breakfast,” Amber answered calmly.

     “Okay, call me back when you reached there. Thank you,” Mrs.Vera worried when her body started trembling, approached her who was walking back and forth in front her.

     “Qian, relax. Why you suddenly act this way?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter