deny

The Byun Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It's a fine Friday morning, but seems like their Literature teacher has a way to ruin it.

"Okay, class. I had split you up into groups," Mr. Goo said and the class listened intently. "You'll have to make a book report," and the class groaned at that point, "of any story you have read."

Well, it won't be too hard, Seulbi thought.

"Your grouping is based on your seat,"

Seulbi regretted what she thought as she looks at Baekhyun looking at their instructor. And then their teacher added, "Plus the other line behind you so you'll be all four."

And she looks behind, only to see Minseok and the guy behind Baekhyun with those lifted corners of his lips. She had racked up her brain but can't remember his name; it's Jongsomething.

"You can discuss what you're going to do after class," and Seulbi turned to the front again, "The due's at Monday—"

"What?!" The class roared at the impulse and Mr. Goo seems taken aback. "It's on Monday because your exams are just around the corner,"

Seulbi felt really unmotivated. It's gotta be her, Baekhyun, Minseok, and Jongsomething. Great.

* * * * *

"What do you want?"

Seulbi's not used to this; she's used to Luhan unwillingly asking her what he should buy, not Minseok asking her what she wants for lunch.

The cafeteria's packed, so they have to leave one person at the table to reserve it. Luhan's absent, so she's left with Minseok. He waits with expectant eyes as she fidgets on her chair. She's extremely conscious right now, with Minseok looking at her like that. God, hope her cheek's not crimson. "Uhh," she started and was about to say her order when someone put his tray on their table, sitting beside Seulbi as if they've known each other too well. She and Minseok exchanged looks for, it wasn't really evident, but it was awkward, well at least, for them.

"So," the visitor started and leaned his head on his hand, "how should we start the project?"

How could she answer him when she doesn't even know his name? Seulbi let out a forced chuckle, "Can we eat first?"

That made him blink at her and chuckle, too. "Of course, of course," and turned to his meal, after giving someone from the table few meters away from them a mocking glance.

Seulbi told Minseok that she wants baked mac, while Baekhyun stabbed his baked mac while looking at Jongdae at the table away from their's.

It was more awkward when Minseok left to buy food. Seulbi doesn't know if she should break the ice for all she knows is that the one beside her is one of Baekhyun's friends.

"Oh Seulbi, right?"

She turned to him, just to see him gazing at her. Geez, she's not used to these things! "Uh, yeah."

He let out a grin, "So, are you really close to Baekhyun?"

What? How could she answer him? If even herself, she doesn't know the answer?

"He's my neighbor,"

"Really?" Jongsomething said as if it was really surprising. Well, she get that a lot. "How about Luhan?"

Seulbi perked her brows up, "What's with him?"

"Bet you're dating,"

What?! Seulbi almost choke with air on what he said. Before she could deny, someone put a tray on their table. She's about to be happy because she thought it's Minseok, ironic to what the guy beside her's reaction is when someone new came.

"Oh, Baekhyun!" Jongsomething said enthusiastically, "Good thing you're here," and he turned to Seulbi again. She averted her eyes away from Baekhyun's the moment they had an eye contact. Baekhyun sat beside Minseok's chair, which is opposite of Jongsomething, and started digging in, not even sparing a word nor smiling.

"So? You two are dating?"

Baekhyun's about to put some mac in his mouth when he heard Jongdae's question. And who is he pertaining to? He glanced up and saw Seulbi look at him, asking for help, looking uncomfortable.

"Jongdae,"

Seulbi was thankful Baekhyun took Jongdae's attention. "What?" Jongdae asked, looking amused.

And as if on cue, Minseok put his tray on the table, just to be surprised they have a newcomer.

Seulbi wants the gods and goddesses of introverts to just make time faster and end lunch earlier because it seems like the cafeteria was filled with so much awkwardness. She cleared and disregarded Jongdae's previous question, "Let's eat first then let's talk about the project," before getting her food from Minseok and muttering thanks.

Thank God she didn't stutter.

* * * * *
"Do you know where Jongdae's house is?"

Seulbi looked up and saw Minseok holding some photo papers to put into the printer. "No," In fact, I just knew his name earlier, "I'm not close to him,"

They were the only people at the club because some already went home and Minseok asked Seulbi to accompany him. At first, she was flustered at that but being a good girl she is, she obliged. But to be honest, she's not that nervous right now.

Minseok paused on what he's doing and frowned at her. "You didn't attend the party held at his house last year for the whole batch?"

Seulbi just smiled, though it's kind of forced, and just gazed at her fingers on the table. "I'm not used to that kind of things..."

He just nodded and changed the topic, not liking the consequence of his question. "So... have you already mastered some shooting techniques?"

"No

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter