broken

The Byun Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She should have been immune to his quirky words that, maybe, he had already used to countless girls (that's why he's unmistakenly popular)—but Seulbi can't stop her face from painting itself crimson.

"Now you only need four."

Seulbi knows that it's just one of his teasings, yet she can't help but feel butterflies inside her stomach.

Maybe it was one of the reasons why she has a crush on him right now... and while clutching her shirt over her chest that night after their buddy time, she hopes it'll not worsen—she prays it won't worsen. Patting her chest as if it's her heart she's petting, Seulbi sighed while staring at the ceiling of her room.

What if she'll fall?

Would he also catch her like her bed she's laying on as of the moment?

She gulped hard with the possibilities involving hormones like this. She just hope... she won't get hurt like what she's seeing in their very own household. 

Remembering all the years of being with her, Seulbi softly snorted as a picture of the dearest woman to her appeared in her mind; but that slowly faded as she reevaluate her life... 

Her mom is the greatest pretender of all.

* * * * *

Seulbi scratched her head as she look at the camera on the table. It's already Wednesday, and for goodness sake, their activity is due at Friday but she still haven't gotten five pics and would definitely say 'beautiful'. And whenever she thinks about it, she was reminded of what Baekhyun did days ago. But of course, she would not include his shot.

That's when a wiggling tail at the window caught her attention.

* * * * *

Baekhyun groaned as he take his way to the side of a building. He's cursing his right foot because now he needs to get the ball. Damn, why did he have to kick it that hard anyway?

Maybe he's just too distracted while thinking about someone.

Walking to the isolated corner of the school, it somehow reminded him of the old creepy tales of the said place. The gloomy state of the weather doesn't help at all. Ignoring the building anxiety at his stomach, Baekhyun continued walking to the said place.

And all the color were drained from his face when he heard a soft giggle. Yeah, he once heard the tale of lurking ghosts at the school but it's still daytime for 's sake. The giggles didn't stop as he continued towards the source of the sound. Gripping a metal bar he just found somewhere he passed by, Baekhyun gulped hard before turning to the corner.

"Aaahh!"
"Aaahhh!"

Seulbi screamed her best when somebody suddenly popped out from the corner with a metal bar. She even accidentally sat on the ground, losing her balanced squat. The cat that she's currently taking pictures of ran at the sudden intrusion.

Baekhyun lost his voice as everything dawned to him. His embarrassing hands that are holding the bar, whipped backwards and ready for some action, is the least of his concern right now. They both stayed still, as if contemplating who should speak first.

And that's when Baekhyun averted his eyes somewhere lower and swear, Seulbi saw how Baekhyun became beet red for the first time. She could have been proud that she saw that and even thought about taking a picture of it, if Baekhyun just didn't quickly laid his eyes somewhere else, muttering words like Uhh, your skirt, and I can see.

This time, Baekhyun wasn't the only person who's crimson red as Seulbi hastily stood up and smoothened her soiled skirt, wishing for the ground just to eat her then and there. 

She's ready to speak—to ask him what he's doing there—when she remembered why she had ease smoothening her skirt with two hands and standing up with two hands when in fact she was holding a camera. Seulbi scanned the ground immediately and her heart nearly sank when she saw the camera.

The camera that she just borrowed from the club, the camera she promised she'll take good care of, the camera she had treasured and wished it was her's instead—is now on the ground, with an obvious crack on the screen.

"...Oh my... God..."

Even just giving it a quick glimpse would ensure that it's damaged.

She slowly knelt down to pick it up but she lost the strength to stand up again. She examined the lenses and even those where broken. The camera wasn't even a low class one and of course she knows that it costs so much.

She can't even buy her own and now she needs to buy a replacement? Seulbi feels her eyelids hot.

"Seulbi..."

Of course, Baekhyun understood what just happened. 

He could've went to her.

He could've told her he's sorry and he didn't mean it.

He could've wiped those tears that are threatening to escape her eyes.

But even before he could all do that, she passed over him, clutching the broken camera on her chest with those glassy eyes.

* * * * *

The room was dead silent, as if Minseok was the only one eating on the long dining table. The limited clanking of spoons and forks just gave his mind a permission to reminisce what happened that day. From his phone full of missed calls from her, to the moment wherein Baekhyun was looking at him seriously with those eyes.

Eyes that remind him of betrayal, treachery, and disloyalty.

"Thanks for the meal." He stood up and wiped his mouth with his table napkin, his appetite suddenly gone because of some unplesant memories.

He didn't even wait for the man he's dining with's reply before exiting out of the dining hall.

Minseok heaved a deep sigh as he stops at the initial step of the stairs to his room.

He never expected Seulbi to come to the club room with a guilty expression, holding one of the domestic cameras of the room—just a broken one. To be honest, he could've taken care of it because, of course, she's his friend.

Somewhat a special friend.

But Baekhyun's guilty face surprised him more; with the fact that he talked to him, even if no one's around. Actually, surprise was an understatement.

"I will replace it."

Minseok wanted to say no, but he can't.

Now that they're talking about Seulbi's welfare... he wants to throw all his grudge aside and gave him one condition.

And even if he won't admit it, he's relieved that Baekhyun approached him.

* * * * *

Luhan can't take it anymore. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter