confused

The Byun Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

nsrljuim11 liked your photo.

As always, it made her smile once again. She now became used to seeing the username in her notifications. But still, he or she still haven't accepted her follow request. Maybe the user haven't seen her old request. Shrugging the thought off her head, she set the table for dinner as Mrs. Oh scoop some from food the caserole one Sunday evening.

Seulbi smiled in delight, seeing her mom put the bowl of her favorite on the table: Korean beef. She sniffed the aroma before before bringing her chopsticks in action. Dang, her mom's really good at cooking.

Her happy moments with her beef was cut short when Mrs. Oh shot her a question. 

"Seulbi, how's Baekhyun?"

Swear, she almost choke when her mother said that. Amused by her daughter's reaction, she watched her as Seulbi avoid her gaze. She can't help but see her younger self in Seulbi. 

"He's fine," Seulbi looked up for a second and just found her mom smiling, now fueling her embarassment. 

Yesterday was when she helped Baekhyun clean his place. She wanted to bury her whole existence in the ground when she realized she fell asleep on Baekhyun's couch, seeing a sheet draped over her when she woke up. Plus, a post-it was patched on her forehead.

maybe by the time u're awake, im already asleep upstairs, im also tired yknow. i cant wake u up, u sleep like a rock hahaha u look stupid when u sleep. :p

anyway, thanks for helping me. i might finish at midnight if u didnt lend me a hand lol  i'll treat u next time, ok! :) say hi to ur mom for me.  

She never bothered checking him upstairs after that. Instead, she hurriedly went home, after leaving a note below her his previous one, sticking it on his fridge.

i already went home. i didnt wake u up anymore. bet u look more stupid while asleep!!! 

and... you're welcome.

Her mom just asked her about Baekhyun, so why is she like this? "I think he went out, I saw him get out of his flat earlier," Seulbi added, making sure she sounds casual.

Mrs. Oh hummed in response, "Maybe to see some girl." 

Well, that one successfully made her furrow her brows. 

Her mom wanted to laugh on how Seulbi glared at the beef. Mrs. Oh didn't even bother hiding her malicious smile. "Come to think of it, Baekhyun is a very good boy," Mrs. Oh even rested her face on her palm, "I'm wondering why he has no girlfriend..."

Being her daughter, the fruit is just like the tree. "Come to think of it, mom," Seulbi showed her a smile that beat Mrs. Oh's, "I'm also a good girl; why don't I have a boyfriend?"

Mrs. Oh frowned on her statement, "Yah, do you want me to take those beef?"

Seulbi pouted, "I'm just asking..."

"Then don't ask," Mrs. Oh rolled her eyes and Seulbi used this opportunity to also roll her's.

They continued eating then until Seulbi felt like asking her mom one of the questions bugging her ever since. "Mom," Seulbi set her chopsticks on her bowl for she's already done. Mrs. Oh raised an eyebrow on her daughter's serious tone. "I just noticed this..." 

"Noticed what?"

"Why are you so fond of Baekhyun?"

Mrs. Oh also did what Seulbi had done, setting her chopsticks on her bowl. "Baekhyun..." and she clasped her hands on the table, "...that boy reminds me of someone."

That piqued Seulbi's interest. "Who?"

A soft smile crossed her mom's face. "An old friend, I met her when I was your age. Baekhyun smiles the way she does, as well as his eyes." And Seulbi grew confused when the smile only lasted for merely a minute. "Why? What happened to her?"

"I don't know..." Mrs. Oh almost whispered. "We lost contact when I went back here and ma—"

She stopped whatever she's gotta say. Seulbi didn't push through, completely getting the thought. Her mom cleared het throat, avoiding her stare, and stood up. "Clean the kitchen, okay? I'll just continue doing my report," and Mrs. Oh was now back in front of her laptop.

Seulbi was deep in thought while stacking the dishes towards the sink. 

Of course, she noticed it. Nowadays, her mom seems to be always dazed, and she wanna know what's bothering her. Seulbi's not naive; the possibility that it might has something to do with him crossed her mind. 

And, to be honest, she feels neutral about it.

* * * * *

Is it just her... or Baekhyun is really avoiding her? 

Since the morning, Baekhyun didn't even looked her way nor talked to her. He's just blank, and Seulbi thought he's just not in the mood. But when they were on their Math class earlier, Jongdae was the one who told her the answer as Baekhyun just looked outside with those earphones on. 

Seulbi's used to him ignoring her at school but this time, it really irritated her. As far as she can remember, she hadn't done something that could lead to him ignoring her. Plus, she even helped him clean his house so what's his problem? At least if he actually have one, he should have not drag her to his moody state.

Seulbi's been thinking all of that while waiting in the line at the cafeteria. For unknown reasons, both Luhan and Minseok are absent, leaving her alone to eat. It's not like she haven't done this before because she had lost count about that one; it's just she became used eating with Luhan and Minseok these past weeks. 

"Oh, you're alone?"

Jongdae sure surprised her as she scan the food. He just popped beside her out of nowhere. "Hey," she crack a smile briefly and faced the cafeteria staff again, "I want this, and this." She pointed at the macaroni salad and curry with rice.

"Make those two, miss." Jongdae intervened and Seulbi narrowed her eyes on him. He just butted in the line and Jongdae just gave her an innocent smile. "What? I just wanna eat."

"Cheater," Seulbi muttered as she get her tray but he stopped her. Instead of receiving Seulbi's questioning glance, Jongdae called on the sta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter