irrelevant

The Byun Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Everything is deja vu; same table, same people, just a different meal.

"Here comes my specialty~" Mrs. Oh is all smiles as she laid the plate of omelet on the round table. But it seems like she's the only person who has her smile genuine among the people that surrounds the table.

Seulbi mentally groaned because of her mom, Baekhyun has his fake-enthusiasm on going, and Minseok awkwardly smiled. Good thing Mrs. Oh just disregarded all of these as she sat opposite of her daughter. She clearly remembers how she caught the brewing drama so early in the morning; her daughter looks like she's in dilemma, the boy at the gates looks confused, and Baekhyun looks some lost boy. Sighs, it's not like she's complaining because she just got home from work but here she is, serving breakfast to two cute boys of her daughter. To be honest, Seulbi's better be thankful that they're both refreshing to look at—according to Mrs. Oh—because her stress was suddenly gone, seeing her daughter pursued by good-looking guys. She snorted while distributing rice on their bowls, wondering why her daughter is so lucky.

Seulbi, on the other hand, feels that everything is surreal even if this scene had already happened before. Plus, she's somewhat intrigued why her mom just let the situation pass like it's one of the common things in the world; specially Baekhyun sleeping at their home last night. To be honest, she was quite nervous when her mom suddenly appeared beside Minseok at the gates. But now... she doesn't know if she should be thankful that her mom is at it again. Seulbi's praying her mom will not embarrass her—

"So, who among you is going on a date with my Seulbi?"

—of course, she will.

This time, Seulbi didn't hide her groan anymore. "Mom, Minseok and I will just snap some picture outside, okay?" She said and the said adjacent guy nodded to Mrs. Oh, supporting Seulbi.

"Just the two of you? How about Baekhyunnie?"

At that moment, Seulbi wanted to slam her head on the table. Her mom sure has that unexplainable fake-ignorance. She cringed so hard at the endearment and she can't even look at Baekhyun who just chuckled.

"Ah, it's just for the photography club, Mrs. Oh—"

And Seulbi can't believe what her mom said just to cut Baekhyun. Actually, the three teens can't believe; they just had different approach to kill the awkwardness.

"Told you Baekhyunnie just to call me mom!"

Of course, Baekhyun just chuckled but deep inside, he wants to eat quickly and run out of the Oh's house. Seulbi totally gave her mom a MOM PLEASE SPARE ME JUST THIS DAY PLEASE DONT look. Minseok, on the other hand, just kept his gaze down, quite intrigued with how close Baekhyun is to Mrs. Oh.

"You too, Minseokkie."

It was Minseok's turn to chuckle awkwardly, but his voice faded as he saw the look at Mrs. Oh's eyes.

"You know, I really want to also experience having a son." Mrs. Oh said while longingly looking at her bowl of rice. Seulbi was loss of words because her mom sure looks lonely as of the moment.

"Don't worry, mom, I'm gonna eat all of these!"

Seulbi blinked at Baekhyun as he started digging unto his rice. Did he just—

"Same here, m-mom."

This time, it was Minseok who said it and took his chopsticks to start eating, avoiding anyone's stare.

Seulbi doesn't know on how she'll react on the both boys. But she sure saw her mom hide a victorious smile.

Seulbi internally groaned for the nth time. Of course, she knows her mom.

The atmosphere while they're eating is not that suffocating as what the three expected. Mrs. Oh stopped being embarrassing; Seulbi silently praised the Lord when that happened, and Baekhyun released a satisfied sigh.

"So, how will you enter your house?" Mrs. Oh asked Baekhyun while the said guy is taking all the used dishes on the table. They had just finished eating and he had the decency to help, of course. "Ah, I was thinking about going through Seulbi's window—"

"Seulbi's window?" She raised a brow, "Is that safe? That's at the second floor."

Baekhyun chuckled, "Don't worry, mom, I had already—"

And Baekhyun immediately realized how stupid he is. Of course he can't tell her that he once sneaked to her daughter's room! He quickly averted his gaze on the bowls, avoiding Mrs. Oh's. "—haha, I'll just take these to the sink."

He was about to leave, he's actually itching to, but Mrs. Oh called him. "Baekhyun."

He tried his best to meet her gaze without breaking the dishes because of nervousness.

"Aren't you're a little slow?"

Baekhyun thought she's gotta scold him because he definitely felt that she had read between his lines earlier. What Mrs. Oh said just confused him. Then he saw her show how she shifted her gaze from him to the sink.

There stood Seulbi with Minseok who's trying to help, both hands soapy while immersed on their own world.

Oh. Seems like he should be the one reading between Mrs. Oh's lines.

* * * * *

Please don't tell me to move.

Seulbi still can't get that one sentence out of her head.

How could she anyway? When Baekhyun said those while clinging unto her last night, as if seeking for some warmth?

She can't help but blush as she reminisce what happened last night. 
It took minutes before one of them realized that what they were doing was awkwardly comforting and decided to pull off. Baekhyun blinked as what just happened sunk into him.

He just pulled Seulbi for an embrace.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter