call

The Byun Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She didn't expect Jongdae to be this welcoming. To be honest, she pictured him as one of those cocky athletes out there that winks at every girl they could set their eyes on. Seulbi admits it's had bad labeling him as a stereotype. Turns out, he's a shy guy that scratches the nape of hos neck because of insecurity of his hospitality.

"Do you want more cookies or juice, perhaps?"

She look up to Jongdae then glanced at her right. There are still loads of cookies on the plate and he had placed cartons of yoghurt drink besides it. "Uh," Seulbi put her pen down and gave Jongdae, who's in front of her, an awkward smile, "can you please relax for a bit?"

Jongdae was taken aback, he doesn't know that him being tensed is that obvious. He chuckled and scratched his nape again and Seulbi mentally laughed on him. She never expect him to be this shy. "It's just that..." his hands are back on the laptop,"...this is the first time a girl visited our house."

O...kay. Seulbi's sure her cheeks redden because of that and she's thankful there's a laptop screen between them. She just docked down a little bit to hide her face, focusing back on her pad and pen. "...Is that so?"

"Yeah, you should consider yourself lucky," he added a light chuckle after.

She just snorted at the statement, surprising Jongdae and he laughed after that. Seulbi's embarrassed, realized she had just acted close with him and docked down again. Just when will Minseok and Baekhyun appear to save her—

Oh.

She remembered that Baekhyun's out somewhere important, saying he'll just contribute later on. Minseok, on the other hand, still haven't arrived. 

"Eh?"

Seulbi saw Jongdae furrow his brows after seeing his phone. "Hyung will not also make it?" Jongdae look at her, as if asking for confirmation if it's true, but she's also clueless. "Who?" She asked for clarification.

"Minseok-hyung," Oh. He said while shuffling over his phone. Maybe Minseok just texted him. Seulbi was wondering why everyone seems busy. Jongdae clicked his tongue in annoyance. "How dare they ditch us?" 

Seulbi just went back to her paper, engrossed herself with it when Jongdae disturbed her with one of those teasing questions again. 

"Are you sure you're just neighbors?" 

This time, Seulbi didn't even bother hiding her rolling eyes. "How many times do I have to tell you?" It was as if Jongdae was born to question them every now and then. 

"Then, what is this?"

She lazily eyed Jongdae's phone, which he almost shoved on her face, just to find herself rounding her eyes as large as oranges and getting beet red.

192 likes 56 comments
ohseulbi food trip part 2!! ✨😉

"W-what...?" She unconciously dropped her pen and hastily took his phone. Well, Jongdae didn't expect that reaction. "You posted it last night..."

"I didn't post anything!" She bursted, tapping on his screen furiously on how come she has that picture on her account. She clicked the profile...and it's really her's. Just how—

"Are you stupid?!" Seulbi shrieked while Baekhyun just laughed, watching her panic because he just handed her the food and she almost tripped. "Let me help you," he took her phone on her hand so she'll have better access to secure the food. "Geez," she hand the phone nonetheless, muching some pancake to lessen her load and then looking back at Baekhyun, just to find him grinning on her phone while typing something. 

"Yah!" She snatched it back and put it in her pocket, but Baekhyun's grin didn't leave his face; she noticed that even though she doesn't intend to.

—that's how. Why does Baekhyun always rummage on her phone? She's thinking about putting a passcode on her phone while tapping all the way to Instagram. Great. Baekhyun really turned the app's notifications' alert off on her phone for her not to find it out. 

"What the..." She almost cussed when she saw her notifications. The post was bombarded, with unknown usernames who liked and commented on her post. 

"Whoa." She almost jump on her spot when she heard Jongdae behind her. She didn't even notice him move. "That's what you get hanging around with Baekhyun," he commented, also eyeing her screen.

But one comment caught her eyes. 

nsrljum11 don't listen what other people say, just enjoy and let them be.

She's about to smile, when Jongdae snickered. "Tch, that smells like trouble." He pointed at the screen, and saw something she's sure intended to be sarcastic.

soojungxoxo ☺

* * * * *

"They really didn't come and help us at the end," Jongdae scoffed while his hands are on the steering wheel. Seulbi, who's beside him, inwardly agreed and felt disappointed on both of their missing members.

Seulbi watched as the droplets on the car window give her an aesthetic feel. They had finished the project themselves before 5 at the afternoon and when she decided to go home, they were greeted by pouring rain at his doorstep. Jongdae insisted on accompanying her home, since she didn't know the way back and she also didn't bring her umbrella—which lead her to where she's sitting right now. 

At first, she was hesitant; but as the ride goes along, he seems to be comfortable and fun to be with. He had thrown a joke every now and then, making the ride unnoticeably short, making her surprised when she saw their house. Jongdae's definitely his friend—he's just as talkable as him. Seulbi paused on unbuckling her seatbelt; she's thinking about Baekhyun again, and she shrugged it off. 

She needs to shrug it off.

"Thank you for sending me home, and I'm sorry for being such a hassle for you," she smiled at Jongdae and the latter just snorted. "If you're really thankful, would you please give Baekhyun a call?"

She halted before going out and faced him. Good thing the rain stopped. "Why?"

Jongdae can see concern on her face, but it's not the time to . "Just...because."

The sad smile on Jongdae's face didn't convice her at all at it's just because. Yes, he was smiling, but his eyes faltered. All she did was wonder she watch him drive out of their neighborhood. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter