closer

The Byun Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulbi doesn't know why, but she feels so guilty. Clutching the coat sleeves surrounding her waist, twisted in front, she inhales sharply, "Baekhyun—"

But he cut her off. "See you, Seulbi," and he waved, proceeding to his doorway. His smile is unconvincing and his gaze is nowhere near her eyes.

Seulbi frowned.

She didn't even notice they're already in front of Oh's residence. Thick pulse of regret ran through her; like why hasn't she opened earlier while on the road, why she had pushed him off like that, why she hasn't she explained further—

...why does she need to explain anyway? 

Seulbi knows she doesn't need to explain but she feels like it;

To Minseok because he saw them in that position.

To Baekhyun, because she had pushed him even if he's just helping her from embarrassment.

After the club, she's already walking down the hall, heading to the exit, when Baekhyun called her. She turned back to his way just for him to do the act. Seulbi admits; she's too surprised to speak when he suddenly pushed her to the wall and took his coat off, then got closer to her so he can wrap it around her waist and said, You've got a stain on your skirt—that's why she's so pissed all throughout the day, because it's the time of the month.

And that's when Minseok popped out of the blue. Of course, her first instinct is to push Baekhyun off, not because Minseok was her crush and he might think of something between her and Baekhyun, but because it's common courtesy. The moment she saw Baekhyun's face, she almost face-palmed herself. He might be offended, because she just pushed him like that. So, she quickly took the dropped coat and wrapped it around her waist before dragging Baekhyun out of the scene; that was after giving Minseok a quick, awkward smile. Once they're out of the building, Baekhyun took her hand off his wrist, now completely silent. The journey home then became awkward.

She wants to still talk to him but he's now inside his apartment.

Seulbi's so confused, she kicked their gate to release her frustration. Ugh, how she wants to pull all her hair out.

* * * * *

Holding the neatly folded coat on her palm, Seulbi reached for the doorbell.

She got herself ready for this. Instead of beeping him a text or call, she waited for the next morning to arrive because she doesn't want to talk on the phone; good thing there's no classes the next day. 

She carefully washed Baekhyun's coat, used fabric conditioner, and even ironed it thoroughly—so that he'll have no comments about it.

She grew impatient and was about to ring the doorbell again when the door opened, revealing a Baekhyun wearing a sleeve-less shirt and a mask—wait, a mask? "Oh, you're just in time!" She has no time to react anymore when he tossed his perfectly folded coat aside and pulled her inside, handing her a mask and a broom. Seulbi gave him a confused look, "What am I gotta do with these?"

"Go ahead and tell them to clean the house themselves," he sarcastically answered and left her with those on her hands. Seulbi rolled her eyes but still wore the mask. Swear, if she doesn't has this dire need to talk to him, she'll not accept those.

Might as well help the lone household.

* * * * *

She wants to regret accepting the mask and helping Baekhyun clean his house. It was very messy. Clothes everywhere, overflowing garbage, dusty cobwebs, and, oh my god she wants to puke, algae infested toilet. It was like he was already renting it for a year without even touching the broom.

"What happened here, seriously?!" She yelled from the toilet, cringing at the molds. 

"I was busy being a good student, y'know!" He yelled back from the kitchen, scrubbing his sink who has the same molds. 

Seulbi didn't yell back, instead, she sprinkled the bleach all over the bathroom. She pulled her gloves securely, and started the scrubbing against fungi.

Seulbi feels like she's now soaking with sweat. So she pulled her sleeves up and tied her bangs, with the whole hair into a bun. Dang, household chores.

After the bathroom, she almost ran over Baekhyun to scream on his face because of every piece of clothing she put on the basket. His clothes are everywhere. Thank goodness he still has some decency not to leave any underwear behind or else, she could have already given up and left him unnotified. 

The moment she placed the last piece in the basket, relief washed over her spine like the best achievement she had. Seulbi quickly put the clothes in the laundry and hurried back to the living room, slumping herself maybe for a minute. Ahh, her back needs this. 

She wasn't informed that Baekhyun's small couch could be this comfortable...

This feels good...

Exhaustion filled her limbs...

The next thing she knew, her eyes are fluttering slowly, lids closing down unconsciously, leading her to somewhere surreal without further notice.

* * * * *

Minseok stared blankly on his cup while running his fingers on its warm sides. The ceramic somehow helps him think thoroughly. Until a small ting from the cafe's entrance stopped his trance of thoughts. 

Minseok stood up and smiled at her. 

Sooyoun was surprised when he pulled the seat opposite of him for her. "T-Thank you..." For a moment, she forgot why they're here.

It wasn't like he hasn't done this before; but because he still did it even though he had seen her last night. Maybe in a wrong position, like liplocking with another man.

He was on his way to her and was still somehow occupied with the scene at the hallway, when another scene surprised him. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter