down

The Byun Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Before anything else, she deleted the post that made her a hot item among her schoolmates. Acting as if nothing, Seulbi looked only at the teacher the whole first period; ignoring the blatantly ugly stares from different directions and the strongest stare that has been making a hole on her left.

She knows it was just a flash of doubt, but Seulbi's hurt that he showed that for even a millisecond. After all this time? Seulbi her lowerlip again to stop unnecessary emotions.

That's until second period rolled and a student came, asking Seulbi if she could go to the principal's office.

She walked out of the room, oblivious of the worried expression from the person beside her.

* * * * *

Soojung's scandal spreaded like wildfire, to say that the whole school now looks at Seulbi like that. 

And now that she's sitting on one of the chairs in front of the principal's table, she could also feel that stare. 

Mr. Park cleared his throat and clasped his hands in front of him. "So, Ms  Oh, I suppose you know why I called for you here."

Seulbi ignored the formalities and tried her best to look at him in the eyes. "It wasn't me, sir."

Mr. Park leaned on his swivel chair, now acting more intimidating. "You know you could be expelled with what you did." He totally ignored what she just said.

Seulbi could already feel her voice quivering. "B-But sir, I would never do that—"

"Do you have a proof?"

Seulbi opened but realizing that she has none, she just closed it again. She thought of saying how she searched for her phone yesterday, and Luhan was her witness, and that someone must have posted it using her phone, plus the alarm she doesn't remember saving—but all of those seem vague. Instead, she pursed her lips in a line, fingers hardening on the hem of her skirt.

"What you did was a serious offense, to say that a faculty was involved. You're lucky I didn't call for your parents here."

Seulbi heaved a deep inhale. It's true though; the guy Soojung was kissing once became their teacher but just for a mean time. The guy was a fresh graduate, Choi Seunghyun. 

Seulbi furrowed her brows as she realize something. Mr. Choi was a faculty; he was gone and is now working somewhere she doesn't know. If their former teacher was there, it means the picture was ages ago—basically a year ago.

"Ms. Oh, are you listening?"

Seulbi was snapped out of her thoughts as Mr. Choi call her out. The principal frowned at her but still proceeded. "I reviewed your records and to say that I'm disappointed is an understatement. Your in your final year of high school," Mr. Park gave her a hard look, "and you decide to taint your records now?"

This time, Seulbi replicated the look. "It came from you; why would I do such thing to say that I have a clean record that I need for my college application? I will never do such thing."

Mr. Park seems unfazed by the boldness and leaned on his chair. "We'll see about that," he said and she was ready to protest but he had beat her to it. 

"Since I can't expell you, just say good bye to your club."

* * * * *

Baekhyun ran out of the classroom the moment the bell rang. God knows how he's itching to go after Seulbi the moment she was called to report to the principal's office and now it's lunch time, he now has time to search for her.

Seeing her post after their morning soccer practice, his mind was clouded with questions. He knows Seulbi will never post that photo, more less bother with the fact that Soojung was kissing one of their teachers before. But who would do that? Even if he hates Soojung's guts, he knows the girl for a long time and she won't lie that low just to embarrass Seulbi. Sooyoun won't also drag her sister if ever she also hates Seulbi.

Baekhyun was thinking of possible people who will benefit with that; hitting two birds with one stone—birds named Seulbi and Soojung. As he rack his brain of possible candidates, he keeps on searching for her.

And of course, he saw her at that lone bench away from the judgmental crowd of the school.

But Baekhyun slowed down his pace, his relieved smile fading.

Seulbi isn't alone.

* * * * *

Soojung clenched her fists as she walks to the cafeteria that's full of people. Of course, Seulbi wasn't there, knowing the girl must have been sulking somewhere else.

But she needs to see another girl now—someone close and someone who's sitting on their table, her table.

"Hey."

The three girls giggling dropped the annoying sounds when she said that, she really had the idea that they're giggling about her for a second.

Or ever since this morning when she saw the post 'Seulbi' did, she had that idea.

"Soojung!" Jinri wailed and went to her, embracing her as if her life depended on her. "I was so worried about you!" Soojung's face remained stoic but the moment Jinri pulled off her and held her face as the worried friend she is, she sported her best smile. "I was okay, don't worry."

"But that Seulbi girl did the unforgivable!" Jinri continued, the whole cafeteria hearing all the syllables she said for its loudness. Unknown to her, tables away from them, Sehun was gripping his chopsticks tight while Luhan looks like he just got the answer to the puzzle the moment he heard Jinri's screeching voice.

That's it.

Yesterday, he noticed that the said girl was passing on their classroom more than neccessary. It wasn't like she had  never done this before; but she did it with her peers and it was basically when Soojung was visiting Baekhyun, which was so last school year. The last time she saw him was at the afternoon break... which was before Seulbi's phone disappeared.

Luhan was about to stand and confront Jinri, but the loud gasp of the cafeteria made him halt.

There, beside the clique's table, Jinri was wide eyed staring while sitting on the floor on a unpoised manner... in front of a girl who just pushed her down.

All the attention were on them.

Soojung was still smiling, as if she didn't push her 'best friend' to the floor. "Jinri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter