ready

The Byun Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hearing the front door open, Seulbi quickly finished dabbing on her cheek. She made sure her face looks normal before heading downstairs to welcome her mom, yet she's the one surprised when she saw her already standing outside her door.

Mrs. Oh gave her a meek smile, something Seulbi's not fond of. Her mom doesn't usually smile that way.

"Seulbi-ah,"

The first word itself already made her conscious if her mom will notice the discoloration on her cheek but her next words made Seulbi drop her nervous smile.

"Your father wants to see you."

Seulbi opened , gaping.

"He wants to meet you now."

This time, she didn't care if her mom will disapprove about her furrowed brows. "Wait mom, isn't it too sudden?"

Mrs. Oh took a deep breath before taking her right hand. "We talked about this before, right?"

Sure, her mom notified her about her father's intention along the arrival of Sehun, who has her camera from him.

But still, she's not ready.

"Mom, I don't know; I'm not ready yet—"

"When will you be ready?" This time, Mrs. Oh's not smiling anymore. "It has been years since you last saw him."

That surprised her... to say that those came from her.

After that, Seulbi lowered her gaze and didn't say anything but listen as her mom instructed her where she'll meet him and for her to wear something presentable.

Seulbi kept shut, fighting the urge to throw her mom's question back to her.

When will I be ready, huh?

How about you?

*

Wandering her eyes around the place, Seulbi felt small. She felt conscious wearing her peach dress and those sandals after seeing people entering the place with those stilettos and tux. Feeling out of place, she just nervously played with her nails in the middle of the fancy restaurant while sitting on the table reserved for Mr. Oh.

She checks her wrist-watch every five minutes, just to realize that only a minute passed. Seeing the waiter go to and fro pass her table made her realize how nervous she is.

How was he?
Did he age that much?
What is he doing right now?
...Did he already change?

Growing anxious as the time tick, Seulbi wanted to stand up and leave.

"Seulbi?"

But her initial plan to ditch the man was left behind as she hears an unfamiliar yet something that made her head be filled with nostalgia.

Still refusing to turn around, the man took the initiative to go to the chair opposite of her.

She doesn't know if she'll smile after seeing those eyes again—eyes that resemble her yet symbolizes pain for her.

Still, she stood up and gave him a bow, all for formality and respect.

"Thank you for coming," he spoke and she just gave him a brief smile before he motion her to sit again.

Seulbi expected the dinner to be awkward... but this is exceptionally awkward; it's so awkward, she just want to get out of there immediately.

Thank goodness a waiter came and somewhat eased the tension as he asked them what their order is, with Mr. Oh asking her what she wants but she just answered a shy 'anything'. The moment the waiter left their table, they're back to square one.

"So... how are you?" Mr. Oh tried lifting the atmosphere with the most used conversation starters. Seulbi fidgeted a bit, answering while avoiding his stare. "...I'm fine."

Oh Seungyoon felt the discomfort, of course, but he won't force his daughter whom he missed for twelve years—which is his entire fault anyway. He knows it's quite rude to stare but it's his safest choice; he can't just go and hug her even if he's dying to. Watching his daughter reminds him of old times.

Seulbi lifted her gaze up, unconscious of her confused expression, upon hearing him chuckle. Mr. Oh cleared his throat upon seeing her question him with that look. "The last time I saw you, you were just trying to master the multiplication table," he gave her a warm smile, "now look at you; all grown up."

She felt foreign upon seeing that smile, ready to smile back, but a memory stops her from doing so.

"Dad, dad! Where are you going?"
"Just somewhere. I'll be back."

But he never did.

It still haunts her, and Mr. Oh sensed the uncertainty. Clearing his throat once again, he decided to avert the topic since he failed gaining a response from her. "Have you seen my gift for you?"

The camera. "Yes."

"Did you like it?"

Hearing the anticipation from his voice, she tried giving him a smile, even though it's timid, once again. "...Yes, thank you."

Seulbi can't help but feel warm as she saw how her father's eyes crinkled in delight after hearing her answer. "Thank goodness..."

But his next words made her smile freeze.

"That was supposed to be your 18th birthday gift, since your mom told me before that you love taking pictures—"

"You've been in contact with her... all along?"

Mr. Oh was at lost of words, but answered nevertheless. "...Yes."

Her eighteenth birthday was months ago and the fact that her mom didn't tell her about her dad contacting her made her feel stupid. She thought she hates him.

"Why did you just show up now?"

Her voice was dripping with so much emotions yet disappointment was the lead, Mr. Oh gulped before extending his hand to touch Seulbi's on the table. "Seulbi-ah—"

But he failed with her pulling her hand back. Oh Seungyoon can't hide the sadness as Seulbi also reflect those in her now glossy eyes.

"Twelve year

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter