carpe diem

The Byun Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dedicated to all the readers who felt sorry for Baekhyun from the last chapter.

Minseok knows Baekhyun likes Sooyoun when they just got into high school.

As freshmen, they were both adjusting in the new environment and one of their seniors was kind enough to guide them. Even if he's not close to Baekhyun, he saw how he adored the older woman—since he also did.

And that night on his second year high school, after the school festival, Jung Sooyoun confessed to him. He can't believe if it's even real—but when Sooyoun kissed him under the fireworks, Minseok thinks it's one of the best feelings in the world.

He played dumb about Baekhyun's hurt face when the news spread throughout the school. And to be honest, he doesn't know if he should be relieved that he didn't put up a fight.

He never spoke about it with Baekhyun.

But even if Baekhyun did flash that pain across his face for a second, he still noticed how friendly he is to his girlfriend. That really made him doubt if his assumptions about Baekhyun's feelings were right. Minseok doesn't even know if Sooyoun really didn't notice Baekhyun's feelings before. Still, nothing changed between her and Baekhyun.

When Sooyoun's younger sister took interest on Baekhyun, Minseok awaited if he'll reciprocate Soojung's feelings. Deep inside, he wanted Baekhyun to be happy.

To be honest, he can't understand Baekhyun; he's sure the younger was already over Sooyoun—if it was even that deep—so why can't he like Soojung back?

And then he found the answer on their last year of high school.

Seeing how Baekhyun look at this certain girl reminded him of their freshman days, but this time it's stronger. He realized why he can't get the answer is because he's too focused on Soojung and Baekhyun, missing the stolen glances thrown to the girl from the other section; the same girl who had been throwing quick glances on him before while he's busy adoring a college girl.

All the same girl he kissed amidst the loud crowd and even against her will.

But what can he do? He's still longing for that toxic relationship with the alumna, and Seulbi was like a breath of fresh air.

Minseok knows Baekhyun likes Seulbi.

Yet he can't help but also see what Baekhyun had seen on Seulbi.

Minseok knows it wasn't that deep; but he also knows Baekhyun will not just show a hurt expression if ever he'll know about his infatuation on Seulbi—because he's sure Baekhyun's feelings is not that shallow.

* * * * *

Luhan wiped the huge smile on his face as he stop on his tracks.

Hearing the loud cheers from afar, he already knew their team won. So to congratulate the team, he was about to go to the field but what he welcomed is a Seulbi who's wiping her face.

"Seulbi?" He called her on the sea of people exiting the field. Given that it's crowded and it's noisy, she didn't notice him; so he immediately ran to her and held her shoulders before she can go farther.

Surprised, Seulbi looked at him with her wide, moist eyes. Luhan took note of those tear-streaks on her cheeks. He gave her a worried look and he pulled her aside, away from the crowd. Soon as they're already safe from the bumps of random people, Luhan peeked at her bowing head. "Hey," he hushed her with a gentle voice, "What happened?"

When she finally looked at him, she was sporting a small smile. "It's nothing, Luhan. I'm just happy our team w-won."

Fake.

Luhan didn't even hide how that response annoyed him. Not taking a toll of her terrible lie, he put some authority on his voice instead of that gentle voice he used earlier. "Tell me, who did this to you?"

She dropped her gaze and smile as a tear escaped her right eye. "It's just nothing, don't mind me."

He wanted to scoff.

How could she say it's just nothing if she's obviously hurting? Luhan inhaled deeply, as if calming himself. "Okay, if you don't want to tell it to me, it's fine." Seulbi felt guilty in what he said but he was still not letting go.

"At least let me stay with you until you're okay."

With that, Seulbi gave him a small smile, grateful of Luhan's kindness. After that, he pulled her for a hug, not minding the looks of other people who are passing by. He let Seulbi shake inside his hold, sobbing silently. His brows furrowed as he make soothing circles on her back, thinking of possible reasons and people who made her like this.

Little did he know, a guilty Minseok stopped on his tracks when he saw the scene.

His best-friend might not easily forgive him this time.

* * * * *

Jongdae nudged Baekhyun who doesn't even look pleased even if he's the reason they won.

They're in their locker room and it was filled with cheers and praises to Baekhyun, yet the latter doesn't even look like he cares. Baekhyun gave Jongdae a lifeless look and proceeded to his locker. Jongdae was about to say to say something but decided against it. He's a loud and talkative guy, but Jongdae knows when to stop.

Up until now, he's wondering why Seulbi still hasn't congratulated them, or him, personally.

* * * * *

Seulbi feels petty for crying over a kiss.

For others, they might think it's ridiculous; but Seulbi's begs to differ.

It's her first kiss—plus the fact that Minseok forced himself to her, she felt harrassed. She had never seen him as someone who'll violate her, and that broke her heart.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter