mom

The Byun Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Can you walk faster?"

Seulbi frowned as he scowled at her. He's at least 5 feet ahead of her, with right hand holding his bag over his shoulder and the other one in his pocket. How come someone who gives off such sour attitude look so freaking handsome. "Hey neighbor, we'll be late."

Seulbi gave him a like I wanted to walk with you face.

Just how did she end up having him walk with her to school?

Oh, a big thanks to Mrs. Oh.

"So, who among you is my daughter's boyfriend?"

"Mom!"

Did her mother just say that to Baekhyun and Minseok? Seulbi wants the ground to swallow her whole. First, her mom forced both of the boys to join their dinner then she'll blatantly ask them; whom she's not close to or even friends with to begin with?

Baekhyun gave an awkward chuckle and scratched the back of his neck. "Uhh, we're just helping her earlier..."

Seulbi looked at him, kinda amazed. Who would have thought that he could be awkward? (She also realized that time that she could have sounded so stupid if she voiced the idea out.) But she snapped back to reality when he gave her a quick look, asking for help.

"Mom, they still have something to do—"

"Oh? Is that so?" Mrs. Oh cut her off. Minseok politely nodded because he really still have to do something. "How bad... I have cooked some home-made ramyun for four..." Baekhyun's ears perked up.

Seulbi wanted to cringe on her mother's tone. She knows her mother so much. She knows her mother's antics, like making others feel bad because they rejected her offer.

"I'm sorry Mrs..." Minseok glanced at Seulbi and she mouthed him an 'Oh'... "Mrs. Oh, I really need to go..." And as if on cue something rang. Minseok quickly fished out his phone and Seulbi was not so sure but she saw him gulp on his sight of the caller ID. She faced her mom. "Mom..."

"Mrs. Oh," Baekhyun intervened. "Can I have his share too if I stay?"

That made the said lady amused and laugh. Seulbi can't believe on what she just heard. He's supposed to not stay and cut all of their ties except just being neighbors! "Of course, of course!" And Baekhyun beamed, like how a polite and obedient boy should do. Her mom turned to the other boy. "Are you really sure you can't stay?" Minseok just nodded with what it seems like a half-hearted smile. "That's bad," and Mrs. Oh glanced at Baekhyun, "This other guy might be bloated later." And Baekhyun laughed, as if he's already close to her mom. "Okay dear, please accompany our guest and I'll just go get the bowls."

Seulbi can't look at Minseok in the eye as they both stood up. She's still embarrassed.

"Wait!" A call from the kitchen halted their actions. Mrs. Oh popped her head at the side of the doorway. "What's your name boy?"

"Kim Minseok, ma'am—"

Mrs. Oh chuckled. "Don't ma'am me! Call me mom instead!"

That was the worst pun Seulbi heard in her entire life.

Minseok just chuckled awkwardly and Seulbi was left mentally face-palming herself so hard. Can her mom please embarrass her more? Please?!

"Minseok-ah," her mom called with over-familiarity but with a different tone now. "Take care on your way home, okay?"

Seulbi was sure that time that she saw Minseok's gaze soften and gave her mom a genuine smile. "I will, Mrs. Oh."

"Mom, we'll be going," Seulbi immediately yelled to prevent her mom from saying awkwar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter