edit

The Byun Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Once upon a time, there was a newly-wedded couple in the city. Even if it was mostly just a truce between the elites, they found a way to grow fond on each other. They were happy.

But the man was at his happiest when the woman broke the news to him.

I'm pregnant.

And he corrected her;

No, we're pregnant.

The woman swelled with tears, while the man embraced her with joy. He took extra care of her, but work demanded more of his attention.

The man became busy, but he's thinking it's for the baby. The woman was worried but she has to it up; she married a businessman afterall.

Then came the time when he needs to visit the southern island to comply with the company demands. The man bid goodbye to the woman, and she completely understood the situation.

Even so, she didn't show him her moistened eyes as his car pull out of the gate, on his way to the airport.

The man set his foot and admired the beauty of the south.

The white sand, clear water, and blue sky almost took his breath away.

But what affected him more is the beauty sitting on the sand. The moment the beauty held her face up, he felt it. 

That moment, he knew what love at first sight is.

Without a ring on his left hand, he approached her. If just her figure made him hitch his breath, her rectangular smile made him hitch his heartbeat.

While working on the island, the man knew how naive, innocent, and pure the beauty is. And to his satisfaction, he noticed how she smiles more often when he's beside her.

The beauty was overwhelmed, it's the first time to meet a guy as perfect as he is. She was very happy.

But she was the happiest when he reciprocated what she said to him.

I love you.

But he beat her to it;

I love you more.

That night should have been just a mere picnic dinner on the beach, but it turned out hot and steamy, with the stars as witnesses on how men loves each other.

He took away her purity while his ring glistened on the sand.

The man was on his own happy world; his work was fine and the beauty stayed by his side.

Until a call reminded him of his city life. He hastily put his ring back, running messily to his car to the airport, catching his breath as he book an urgent flight to the north.

He needs to see if his baby is okay after knowing that the woman had an accident. 

He needs to see his family.

Heartbreak was new to the beauty's senses when the news broke to her ears; he left without even saying goodbye.

Worse is without even hearing her own news, clutching her tummy and the test on her other hand in despair.

Positive, says the white thing on her hand. 

The worst? Going to the north just to witness a loving family of the perfect man she knew, knowing that foolish game of deceipt all along.

*

Seulbi lays her pen and paper on her study table by the window. She needs to study for they're almost there; they're already halfway of the final term.

The final term before they graduate. 

Sighing as she thinks how fast time is, her gaze landed on the curtains in front of her. The innocent sheet of cloth hangs there, as if mocking her.

Could you? Could you pull me aside?

Could you pull me aside and check if Baekhyun is there?

Her right hand clutches on her pen while the left is struggling.

Could she? Should she?

Her hand is itching to shove it aside—really—but she remembers the cold shoulders these past days.

It has been a week ever since he ignored her calls thirty times. 

The topic was never brought up. How could she? If every time she tries to talk to him, Baekhyun looks distant and uninterested. 

Seulbi bites her lower lip hard.

She doesn't know what happened; just the day before those missed calls, she confessed to him that caught him offguard. She remembers how happy—nervous—she felt when he cupped his face and brought his lips unto hers.

The next night after that, it was like nothing happened.

It was like those I like yous were just thrown down the drain—well, for her at least.

Baekhyun also doesn't walk with them to school anymore. To and fro, he's missing. He's sometimes late to arrive at school, and she's aching to talk to him and ask him what is up.

Where are you at the morning?
Why are you late at school?
Where are you going after classes?

But Baekhyun would just give her a small smile and shrug it off. 

The earphones and lone stares at the windows are back. Lunches with Luhan are back. The anxiety to talk to him at school is back.

Seulbi's too confused what happened, she didn't even notice that tears are already rolling down her cheeks by just reminiscing how she can't climb the wall Baekhyun suddenly built around him. 

*

"Are you okay?" 

Her thoughts were interrupted by Luhan, worry etched on his eyes. She instantly broke a smile and made herself look cheerful. "Of course, why wouldn't I be?"

They may became close just this year, but he already knows her like an open book. Luhan snorted in empty amusement, "You know that you're such a terrible liar."

Seulbi wanted to smile at that. 

Meanwhile, questions were running inside Luhzd$an's head. Only a fool won't notice the silence between his seatmates. Sure, it was not a new story having both in  'lovers' quarrel'—he quotes—but it was different this time.

It was as if Baekhyun doesn't care anymore; as if he wasn't glaring at him every time he interacts with Seulbi.

It was like there's suddenly either a rift or a wall on the aisle between them.

He continues to stare at Seulbi as she work on her assignment while in the library. If it was a normal day, she would've already yelled at him for being creepy. But now? She just looks noncholant with those shallow eyes.

Luhan knows he's gotta do something.

*

To be honest, he wanted to go home.

He doesn't wan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter