too

The Byun Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun almost took a step back if he just doesn't know the door's just behind him. He knows he's trapped there, in the place he didn't want to meddle with for he doesn't want to be accused of being a digger.

Announcing that he's an official heir? Is his father out of his mind?

"I don't think that's a great idea."

Mr. Kim frowned on his statement. "How come you could say that? This is for your own sake."

"Have you..." he trailed off as he contemplate on what term to use. Too lazy to think, he used it anyway, "Have you asked hyung about this?"

"No," his father answered without remorse, "I don't think I need his say about this."

Baekhyun can't believe it but he felt irritated for Minseok's part. Was his father even thinking?

Baekhyun doesn't want to rub it on his own wound but it seems like the one who made him wounded just forgot about that flaw he made.

"But I am not a Kim," Baekhyun stated as he stares straight to his father's eyes. The older wasn't moved, as if he's preparing a great counter attack for the younger.

"Then I'm going to officially make you one."

* * * * *

Sehun feels that something is odd since yesterday.

He's now eating at the cafeteria with Luhan and Minseok. To be honest, he has no choice but to tag along. He has no problem with Luhan but it's Minseok that gives him the creeps... like how can he have such cute cheeks even if he gives such manly aura? But on the other side, Luhan looks so pretty. Forget what he said about Luhan not giving him the creeps. Sehun felt chills run through his spine.

"So... where is Seulbi?" Luhan cut his thoughts off by asking that.

Sehun felt irritated once again. How can Seulbi trust that guy? "I don't know. She's talking with the douche who almost hurt her last time."

"What?" Minseok furrowed his brows at Sehun.

"Give a specific name because there are possible candidates," Luhan said carelessly, and Minseok didn't fail to catch the side-eyeing and sarcasm. Sehun furrowed his brows because he's not that naive, but he continued, eyeing Luhan. "That Kai guy, was it? I don't know, whatever he's called."

There, Sehun realized they both have no clue on the commotion that happened outside the classroom earlier that morning.

Luhan just nodded, realizing maybe Kai just wants to apologize. It's not obvious for someone like Kai to do so but he knows the guy; it might not seem like it but he has a soft heart behind the cold demeanor. But Minseok was curious why would Kai would have a talk with Seulbi, and was taken aback by his thoughts.

He shouldn't be curious. Also, he should apologize soon.

Sehun, on the other hand, was still thinking what's missing on that day.
Because of his curiosity getting the best out of him, he's rubbing his forehead with his fingers out of frustration.

"You're like Soojung."

Sehun had his ears perked up on what Luhan just said. "What?"

"You also like rubbing your forehead when you look frustrated," Luhan explained, studying the other guy's reaction, "Just like Soojung."

Sehun just gave a bland Ahh but deep inside, he just had the answer on his question earlier.

He haven't seen Soojung since yesterday; that's why it seems odd.

Luhan watches Sehun's forehead grow more creased than before.

* * * * *

When she received his text earlier, she knew something is wrong.

hey, is my eating buddy available?

She was on her way home beside the nagging Sehun when her phone beeped. Sehun's nosy questions about what she talked about with Kai faded into the background as she read the message. Mentally slapping herself for forgetting to reply on his earlier morning texts, she quickly composes a message.

But until now, he still haven't beeped her once.

Seulbi pokes her rice with her chopsticks. If only Sehun didn't snort, she would continue it until midnight.

"Don't be mad at the rice just because Baekhyun was absent earlier."

Seulbi's eyes grew like oranges and her cheeks went red as apples, "W-What are you saying?!" She immediately shove her cup away from her, glaring at Sehun, as Mrs. Oh snickered while shaking her head. Her mother didn't let her get out of the hook easily by adding fuel to the fire. "Sighs, kids these days. They won't even tell their parents they already have boyfriends," she teased and laughed, leaving Seulbi gaping.

Seulbi was about to retort something back when her phone beeped, which was on the living room.

Seulbi was faster than the lightning to stand and rush to her phone, leaving her mother and cousin on the table. Mrs. Oh's smile dropped, ironically slower than her daughter's movement, now sitting on her chair again, a frown on her face. It seems like Seulbi's anticipation dropped quickly.

As if she just failed to read her "boyfriend's" new text message.

Seems like someone needs a word from her—someone like their neighbor.

* * * * *

Seulbi quickly locked her door as she enter her room, before dialing a certain number. She went to her study table along the window, watching the opposite pane as she press the device on her ear.

It's already on the sixth ring yet he still haven't picked it up, making her anxious. When her phone beeped earlier, she thought it was him. Her hopes crushed after seeing it was just from the network provider.

She's ready to give up when her call got through. Seulbi's throat went dry for a second, anxious of the uncertain, but she still pulled herself together.

"Baekhyun?"

What she heard back is his steady breathing. She waited, but he's still mute. Him being speechless just made her more worried. "Hey, Baekhyun, are you okay?"

She watches the dark opposite window, searching for signs of him. Maybe a second or two, he chuckled. She could have laughed all along, but it wasn't his usual chuckle.

It was humorless, empty—just like his eyes when she saw him part his curtains to the side. The light from the moon as well as from her bedroom illuminated his face, but it wasn't enough for her to decipher what's going on. The call was dropped as he opened the glass and Seulbi could only do the same, watching him cross the gap in between, allowing him to enter her room just like that.

He's wearing all formal—suit and tie—yet she didn't have time to question him about his outfit, as she remained staring into his eyes, his small smile fading as he realize there's no point of pretending.

Awkwardness filled the air, Seulbi figuring out how she could help him about she doesn't even know. In the end, she resorted to asking him about his day.

But even before she could blurt the words out, he stepped closer and enveloped her in an embrace.

It was slow and gentle, no rush felt as he wrap his arms around her.
Seulbi was clueless but why does she feel hurt? It was like he's sharing the pain he's feeling right now.

Burying his face on her shoulders, Seulbi didn't even protest. She's not feeling all giddy, but her chest feels heavy.

She just didn't question him when his fist crumpled a part of her blouse. Instead, she reciprocated the gesture, carressing his back.

"It's okay to let it out," she whispered into the deafening silence, which was broken by a sob.

It acted as an stimulus to crack a dam's wall.

"H-He wants me to change my surname to his," he started, and Seulbi felt her shoulder wet.

She doesn't know the whole story, but she can somewhat pick up with the thought. She didn't say anything as she urge him to go on.

"He said it as if it's easy as one t-two three... as if he didn't take the most important person from me..."

Seulbi badly wants to punch who made him a crying mess; but for now, all she can do is hug him tighter.

"I-I don't know what to do, S-Seulbi..."

When his voice cracked once again as he uttered her name, all muffled by her shoulder, she swore to all the gods she'll protect him.

The Baekhyun tonight wasn't the Baekhyun she was used to. Tonight, she saw how vulnerable he is, how he craves for affection, how he craves for comfort, how he craves for love—as if he's alone. He's far from the playful, carefree Baekhyun—the one she likes.

"Don't worry, you'll figure it out soon," she whispered as she runs her hand on his back, as if a child needs his mother's comfort, "We'll figure it out soon."

Crying makes everything better. Maybe they stayed in that position for several minutes more, yet it didn't tire her a bit.

Baekhyun took a while before pulling off her, a little embarrassed by pulling the scene off like that. But still, gratitude outgrew shyness. Chuckling a little to lift the mood up, he remained on his spot. "Thank you for hearing me out. And sorry for disturbing—"

"Shh," she cut him off by putting her finger on his lips,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter