follow

The Byun Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun lost his voice for, maybe a minute, just gaping at her as if she grew two heads, and Seulbi started to become worried. She's about to wave her right hand on his face to check if he's still with her—but he stopped her immediately by holding her right wrist, all gentle but securely.

"So... you do acknowledge my feelings for you?" He said, staring at her with hopeful eyes.

Her face felt warm as she nodded, slowly but surely.

She watches him repress a smile and avert his gaze somewhere, still not letting go of her wrist but he had their hands down. Seulbi can't help but smile on how cute Baekhyun is at the moment, but she wiped it off when she looked at her again, now sporting a grin.

That's all what he needs to hear, before pulling her out of the gates towards their neighborhood. Seulbi was surprised, but she didn't complain. She doesn't hate how he wrap his fingers on her wrist anyway.

She didn't confirm anything, but it's all what Baekhyun needs for now.

That moment, they established a mutual unspoken agreement; and that's what all they both need for now.

* * * * *

The usually composed man was now furrowing his brows on the sight of his best friend; who's sending glares on his way.

Luhan tilted his head to the side, waiting for the answer. Kyungsoo was gone minutes ago, for Minseok doesn't want to discuss such things with other people around. Kyungsoo didn't seem to mind though. In fact, he looks like he doesn't give a on what he had just taken yesterday—he even had the guts to submit it to Luhan.

"It's just a kiss," Minseok stated, now glaring at the door because he can't send that to Luhan. Luhan wasn't pleased on the answer. "Well, it wasn't just a kiss for Seulbi," Luhan retorted back and gave the picture on his laptop a glance. Minseok held her face with those closed eyes, and Seulbi looks clearly surprised as her lips were in contact with Minseok's. Luhan closed the window and shut the laptop, condemning the sight.

"You know," Luhan started once again since Minseok's not saying a word, "there are girls who treasure such things and obviously," he shot Minseok a glare once again even if he knows the older wasn't looking at him, "Seulbi is one of those."

With that, Minseok's furrowed brows faltered a bit, as well as his glare on the innocent door.

He knows that, he clearly knows that.

He knows that Seulbi is the kind to put importance on such things, blush easily in simple contacts, round her eyes on adequate interactions and greetings, and grow stuttering and shy on small acts from others. He had been with her for not so long yet he had noticed her crimson cheeks countless of times. And he wants to admit, he likes seeing it more often.

"—Minseok?"

Minseok was pulled out of his own bubble as Luhan called out for his name. The younger frowned seeing how he spaced out and blatantly gave him an annoyed look. "I was asking you but it seems like you're just physically here."

Minseok just sighed, non-verbally asking him to continue.

"Do you like her?"

It was just a second, but Luhan was sure Minseok froze as he said the question once again. With a serious look, he returned his gaze to Luhan.

"What if I do?"

Luhan heaved a deep exhale through his nose, as if he was tired—as if he wasn't surprised at all.

He was expecting it anyway.

Minseok and Luhan exchanged unamused looks.

Only by those looks, Minseok knows he can't; that he shouldn't have said those. To be honest, he wasn't really sure if he does. That moment he kissed her was like an emotional push after seeing Sooyoun. But now, he just wants to rile Luhan up.

"You know your brother also likes her."

This time, his eyes showed annoyance. Yes, he clearly knows that; only a fool won't see how much he likes Seulbi. "So what?"

It was Luhan's turn to furrow his brows. "Seriously? Of all people, you should be the one who understood it the most—"

"It's not like Baekhyun's her boyfriend," Minseok cut him off.

Scoffing, Luhan gave his friend an incredelous look. "And you also know Seulbi likes him."

Minseok made sure he doesn't look affected by the old news. It's not that he didn't notice it; he just turned a blind eye on the obvious reasons why.

Luhan ran his fingers on his hair, "You know you should let Baekhyun have her—"

Luhan can't finish what he was saying for Minseok slammed his hand hard on the table.

"Why are you all siding on him?"

Surprised, Luhan barely sees Minseok snap.

"I am your best friend here, Luhan." He stated firmly.

He was so tired of everything going on how Baekhyun wants it; staying at a lone apartment, having more than enough allowance, being not neglected, Minseok even accepted the hate from him for something he didn't intend to do—and now, he's getting the girl?

Minseok clenched his fist. Sometimes, he wants to remind his father who the only legitimate son is.

Luhan sighed, "I am not siding on him."

The older remained silent as he sports that fist.

"And Minseok, you clearly know Baekhyun doesn't have anyone on his side besides Seulbi."

Minseok mentally disagrees. Why does Luhan deliver it like he's robbing Baekhyun? When in the first place he's the result of a crime worse than robbery?

When in the first place, Baekhyun was the one who robbed him off a family?

* * * * *

It wasn't like she wasn't used to her mom being late on coming home—what Seulbi wasn't used to is welcoming her home from a day's work, with her father in tow.

Mrs. Oh cleared as Seulbi stands on the gates, clearly questioning her mom on what's going on. Mr. Oh sheepishly gave his daughter a smile yet she didn't seem to mind as she just looks at her mom. Seeing that, Mrs. Oh gave him a sorry look.

"Your father invited me for dinner," Mrs. Oh said. Seulbi just nodded, still refusing to look at him. When she was about to head back to the house, a call stopped her.

"Seulbi-ah..."

It was than tender tone she has been longing since she was a child. Seulbi didn't spin back to him, but she stopped on her tracks, waiting for something he wants to say.

Mrs. Oh gave him an encouraging look. With that, he cleared his throat and said, "Do you want to join us next time?"

Seulbi bit her lower lip as she stops the wave of emotions. "I-I'll think about it," and she continued walking inside their house.

Mrs. Oh gave him a sorry smile, "Give her more time."

Mr. Oh smiled back and nodded, before giving her a good night's embrace.

That sentence was better than a flat no anyway.

Sehun watches from his window as his uncle pull out of the neighborhood. Sighing, he hopes h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter