again

The Byun Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulbi made it sure that she's at least two-feet behind his neighbor as they walk to school. This set-up has been going on for already a week and so far, nothing unlikely happened.

It was a bright, sunny day but the air is still chilly because it's still early. Seulbi is thankful Baekhyun never ranted again about her short legs because maybe he already realized that there's no point of saying how slow she is if she really's that slow. Plus the fact that he never broke the silence between them again because of failing once when he tried, she's glad that she can finally avoid him and the maliscious stares of the passers-by; she knows some of them are their schoolmates and she just wanted a peaceful, solace life.

Come to think of it; why is Byun Baekhyun such a big deal at their school? She stares at his back as she think of answers. Because he's a soccer player? Because he's good-looking? Just that?

Seulbi realized she doesn't really know their neighbor. She just came up with two reasons—

Oh.

Maybe because of his bare flexed arms on his doorway from weeks ago, the other side of her brain told the another that made her halt on her action, holding her phone in front of her. 

...Did she just take a photo of him walking ahead of her? 

So what? She thought, making herself sound rational that it's just normal to take pictures outside, arguing with herself. She tapped on the options and tapped Delete.

She just stared at her phone.

Confirm. Cancel.

Just two choices and she can't help but stop her thumb, midway from confirming the action.

She tapped the right one.

Or rather, she tapped the right thing to do.

Seulbi pressed back and gazed at the photo. She just came up with three reasons why he's loved by almost everybody at school. She barely knows a thing about him. Baekhyun looks mysterious here; quietly representing her perspective of him.

Far and reserved.

Seulbi locked her phone and slipped it to her pocket, expecting a boy to be a meter away from her, just to find out that he's already gone inside the school grounds.

* * * * *

The chaotic class was tamed by a slam on the table. Even the most reckless punks scurried to their seats quickly as they had a sight of their first period teacher. 

Ms. Kim adjusted her glasses as she scanned the room with raised left brow while holding a paper. When will that brow even relax? Seulbi thought and she's sure she's not the only one wondering how that brow can keep up with itself. Her amazement of Ms. Kim's brow was stopped when she locked her eyes on Seulbi, finishing the course of scanning the room on her.

Seulbi blinked and gazed downward immediately. She'll admit, she's really scared of Ms. Kim, adding the fact that she's their Math instructor and class adviser at the same time. 

"Ms. Oh Seulbi."

Seulbi slowly helf her head up just to be greeted again by her terrifying stare. "Y-Yes?" She tried hiding her anxiety as she gulped hard.

"Collect all your things and proceed to the next room."

The student just furrowed her brows, not really getting what she meant by that. 

Ms. Kim raised her brow higher as her command was only responded by a dazed Seulbi. "Are you gonna stay just like that?"

It was like Seulbi was taken back to reality. "W-What? I mean, what do you mean, Ms.?" 

Swear, she saw her teacher fought back rolling her eyes on her. Great. "You're transferred to the class A."

It was so quiet, Seulbi thought they're up to some prayer meeting. What the woman in front said is still not sinking into her.

"Wow," until her seat mate broke the silence and tapped her shoulder, "congrats!" 

Seulbi gave her, she's Ahreum if she's not mistaken, an unsure smile before bravely questioning their teacher. The class is now filled with whispers. "How come? I mean, I'm at class C..."

Ms. Kim took a look at the paper at her hand. "You had just beaten the top student of class B last semester."

It was silent again. But someone sure uttered wow.

But why was it only revealed now? She wanted to ask; it's been already almost two weeks since the start of new semester but for goodness' sake, they just announce it now? But Ms. Kim might put her brow higher, the Guiness might come and put meter stick on her forehead.

"The clock is ticking, Ms. Oh."

Seulbi was taken aback and hastily fixed her things, standing up after that. "I-I'll be going now, ma'am..." Seulbi bowed immediately and what surprised her most is how Ms. Kim gave her one last smile as her adviser the moment she lifted her head up.

"Congratulations and good luck."

* * * * *

If she's feeling excited earlier, Seulbi's now feeling nervous.

Or anxious.

Or estatic.

Dang, she doesn't even know what to expect with being transferred to class A. Gripping her bag straps hard, she walked towards the adjacent room.

How can't she feel nervous? Class A is consisted of bunch of intelligent people and the athletic one; in short, the cool kids—the cool kids including Byun Baekhyun. Seulbi sighed. Hope the room behind the door in front of her is not that harsh.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter