small

The Byun Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The first thing Seulbi did the following week when she arrived at school is to find Minseok.

"Where is Minseok?" She asked Luhan while Baekhyun sat beside her as he greets his friends. She saw the chair behind her occupied with bag so she's sure he's already there.

It was no secret now to everyone and it's already a common sight seeing both of them come to school together. But as time goes by, the malicious whispers died as they saw Baekhyun not interact with her that much in school.

Maybe Seulbi didn't notice it, but Baekhyun definitely saw how Luhan's brows pinched together when he heard her question; and this made Baekhyun also do the action.

Luhan set his pen down on his notebook. To be honest, she was surprised to see Luhan studying and she was planning on teasing him later—but it all went down the drain when Luhan spat the words she never expect he'll tell her.

"Why do you care?"

His eyes were still on the paper, yet she feels like she's just got stabbed by those eyes.

It was not that loud, but she heard it clearly. The smile on her face faded along the voice of her classmates' chatters in her mind.

She broke an awkward chuckle after a minute or two, as if saying that's ridiculous. "W-What are you saying?"

Her forced smile was again wiped from her face when Luhan finally looked at her. "If you're only not clumsy then—"

"Let's buy some juice."

She could've heard what Luhan was saying but Baekhyun pulled her out of the place immediately.

She was too confused to care where Baekhyun is pulling her to because to be honest, she doesn't need to finish Luhan's sentence—because his eyes alone speaks so much.

It says hate.

She just can't believe that he would one day look at her like that.

But Soojung can't more believe what she's seeing right now. Maybe the malicious whispers died down before, but Baekhyun changed these past days; reigniting the withered issue as he hold the girl who seems to look too dazed for everyone's liking along the corridor.

"Oh~ Seems like someone's having a great time of her life~" One of Soojung's friends cooed closely to her ear. If she should have just whipped her head back to her friends, she could've seen the wicked smiles on their faces, a total opposite of her poker one.

And that moment, she remembered where she should be.

* * * * *

She tried talking to him during classes but his previous look that he gave her still gave her chills and blocked her will to reach out to him.

And of course, Minseok at the back saw how Seulbi side-eyed Luhan the whole time, making him frown.

"Why is Seulbi not eating with us?"

Luhan halted on eating his lunch and met Minseok's serious gaze, just to shift it anywhere but his stare. "Uhh... I don't know."

"Did you tell her something?"

"No."

Minseok sighed and finally reached for his own fork. "Don't blame her. It wasn't her fault."

Luhan didn't say anything but his actions say otherwise.

"I wanted it. I was the one who wanted that to happen. Actually, I'm quite thankful of her because if not because of her clumsiness, maybe he won't step on that house ever again."

This time, it was Luhan's turn to stare at his best friend. "You're such a martyr, don't you think so?"

And Minseok stared back, his eyes giving off a message Luhan had deciphered.

"Not at all times."

That moment, Luhan turned his head to the table meters apart from them behind him. There Seulbi sat alone in one table until Baekhyun came and settled himself in front of her—before giving Luhan a look, and Luhan whipped back to Minseok.

Minseok's stare was passing over him.

* * * * *

To be honest, Seulbi feels guilty even if it wasn't clear to her what she really did. And that irritates her—along the fact that Luhan resorted into ignoring her without even telling her thoroughly why. She doesn't want to jump into conclusions but... she heard bits of what he said earlier.

If only you're not clumsy...?

She was only asking her where Minseok is!

Seulbi wanted to get mad... but she knows Luhan won't act like that without any unacceptable reason behind it. Sighing, Seulbi sulked more on the bench while staring at the empty field.

It's lunch time yet she's here, back to square one like those days before senior year.

She doesn't want to eat, not only because she has no appetite at all, but because she can't stand Luhan treating her like that.

Seulbi bit her lip as she feel the warm liquid building up in her eyes. Yeah, she had friends before but then they have other friends now, much closer than she and they had become; then she transferred classes.

If only Baekhyun didn't interrupt, maybe she had gotten his whole message.

"You're skipping lunch?"

And, speaking of the devil.

Before even turning his way, Seulbi wiped her eyes then glared at the guy who just came. "Isn't it obvious?"

Baekhyun just snorted, ignoring how snarky the remark is before slumping himself comfortable beside her. Seulbi widened her eyes and scooted away from him, but he just moved closer to her, as if he's mocking her. "Yah!"

Baekhyun just gave her an innocent look. "What?"

Baekhyun wasn't this casual to her at school... or she just noticed now?

And that alarms her.

Seulbi hopes her face is not that obviously red at the mean time. Now that she's already at the end of the bench, she can't move farther from him, that resulted a chuckle from Baekhyun.

"Can you move?!"

Sensing that the girl seems to be in a sour mood, Baekhyun dropped the playful stunts and furrowed his brows, yet still squishing her to the end.

And what he said next almost made her redder than red.

"Is it that time of the month again?"

Seulbi could just gape at him on how he can ask her so casual about it. He looks so innocent yet his eyes glint playfulness. "Why are you here, anyway?" She asked him instead to divert the topic. "Aren't your friends searching for you?"

And what Baekhyun did next stiffened her so much; she could pass as a statue.

He rested his head on her shoulder and closed his eyes, smiling when he felt her become rigid because of the action. "But my eating buddy doesn't want to eat."

"Yah," Seulbi tried sounding unaffected and moved her shoulder up and down to shoo him away, "I am

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter