goal

The Byun Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"If you only know how I was worried sick about you."

He said worried... sick.

Seulbi gulped as she feel her cheeks heat up. Gently, she pried Baekhyun off her, missing how he look dejected by not even returning the action. "I-I'm fine."

Baekhyun retreated his hands to himself and searched for any signs of lying on her face, but she just looks down. "Are you sure?"

This time, Seulbi looked at him in the eyes without even smiling. "Yes." It was so firm, Baekhyun felt how cold it was.

He was surprised with the attitude, nevertheless he proceeded with the questions. He just wants to talk to her more. "...But I heard you were removed from your club?" Seulbi grew stiff for a second before he added, "Is that true?"

Seulbi sighed and stood up, leaving him sitting on her bed, as if she doesn't like being near him at all. Baekhyun doesn't know why but it suddenly felt thick; awkwardness and tension fill the air. Determined to speak with her even if she clearly ignored his question, he added, "I know it wasn't you."

Seulbi paused on unpacking her bag on her desk, but continued still after a second or two. After hearing zero response, he still didn't give up. "We can add you back to your club if we proved it wasn't you—"

"But it was Soojung, I can't win against her."

Baekhyun furrowed his brows with what she just said. "You think it was her who did that?"

Seulbi caught up with his tone; as if what she said was ridiculous. She didn't answer him again, but clearly her answer is a non-verbal yes. Before she can face him, he added, "I know Soojung and she would never do that."

She pursed her lips into a thin line as she felt a sting on her chest. It seems like Baekhyun is siding on Soojung plus the fact that he said that he knows her and that he believes she'll never do that—he trusts her, in short.

How about me?

She wanted to ask him, remembering that look he gave her earlier morning. Then, she remembered who she is in his life.

A classmate.
An eating buddy.
A neighbor.

Nothing more, nothing less.

She kept herself mum with her back facing him, absorbing the reality check.

Baekhyun felt stupid for waiting for her to speak and as he remember how her face brightened while talking to Minseok earlier at lunch. He let out a scoff, making it loud on purpose for her to hear it clearly.

"Am I such a bother to you?"

This time, it was Seulbi who faced him with furrowed brows. Baekhyun chuckled—mock chuckled—as he saw how clueless she is. "When it was me, you're that cold but when it was him, you were all smiles." 

Before she can ask him what he's saying all about, he stood up and headed to her doorway. He stopped midway though. "I wasn't obliging you to, but I hope you could watch me tomorrow."

Baekhyun's finally out when it all sank into her; it's the awaited sports event tomorrow and of course, Baekhyun will play. Because of so much happenings, she forgot it. Now that everything feels complicated for her, how could she do so?

But Baekhyun wants her to watch.

Watch him.

And somehow, she felt the sting earlier lessen as she think of how Baekhyun wants her to be present.

Even if she's just no more, no less.

* * * * *

"Sir, young master Baekhyun-ssi is here."

Mr. Kim almost dropped his cup of coffee upon hearing what one of his most trusted servants, Jaesuk, said. Not wanting the guy to see how it made him excited and nervous at the same time, he calmly placed his cup down and gave him a curt command to let Baekhyun in his office.

He knows Baekhyun will just visit him because he needs something, to say that it's late in the evening to even bother him, yet he welcomed him with a smile—even though the younger will never reciprocate it to him. Kim Daehyun wasn't stupid; but his love for his child outshines anything else. 

Baekhyun just nodded when his father acknowledged him, his gaze staying on the floor. God knows how he hates asking for more from his father, yet he needs his connections and power.

"I need your help." Baekhyun stated—firm and determinated—still just standing in front of his father's desk because he refuses to sit on one of his chairs. He said it as if he's talking to some official.

"About what?"

"—But first, I'll pay it back to you by something I could do. If you will grant my request, I will wash your cars every weekend for the next month." Baekhyun added hastily, now looking at his father's eyes. "Or I will do other chores than that, just tell me."

Of course, Baekhyun will do that. Mr. Kim was amused on how hard headed his son is; not letting himself owe something from the old man. Even if it's irrelevant for him to do the compensation, Baekhyun still pushed it through. It will not be Baekhyun if he's not stubborn. 

Playing along, Mr. Kim first sipped from his cup to prolong his son's anticipation from his answer. He can see how Baekhyun fidgeted a bit on his spot. "What do you want me to do?"

The old man stopped himself from smiling when he saw how Baekhyun brightened a bit after saying that. "I want you to help my friend at school."

He encouraged him to go on by raising his brows.

"I need you to talk to the principal and clear my friend's bad record."

"You cherish your friend that much, huh?" 

What made Mr. Kim to narrow his eyes on him is how Baekhyun seemed to be embarrassed with what he just said, his red ears are the evidence. He wasn't even teasing him... unless—

"What's his name?" Mr. Kim asked, now playing serious, giving the pronoun some emphasis.

He saw Baekhyun fidget but it was as fast as a millisecond. "O-Oh Seulbi."

What made Mr. Kim freeze for a moment was not the fact that his friend is a she—he's expecting it anyway—but the fact that he already heard the name earlier.

"Oh Seulbi?"

"Yes."

He stared at Baekhyun's eyes before sighing, "Okay."

Baekhyun smiled a bit, and he knows his son is just repressing the grin that should've been evident that moment. 

Mr. Kim should've been happy, seeing Baekhyun finally getting somewhat closer to him, but something is stopping him to.

Probably because that grin was showed by his older son earlier when he just asked for the very same favor.

Daehyun was worried this might cause a conflict between the brothers.

He didn't tell Baekhyun he had already did the request even before he arrived—since Minseok had already asked for it earlier.

* * * * *

Seulbi stares at Minseok with utter confusion.

Minseok just keeps on smiling while extending his hand with the camera.

Sehun rolled his eyes on his clueless cousin and sighed loudly. "I will just go check on the  stalls."

The Oh cousins just arrived at the decorated  school gates just to be welcomed by the smiling president of the Photography Club.

Seulbi panicked a bit. She doesn't want to get ditched my Sehun. "Hey, don't leave me!"

But Sehun just pried her hand from his sleeve. He can't stand seeing his cousin being slow. "You have some club activities, y'know."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter