20

One Step Closer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 


Chanyeol never let go of my hand for the rest of the day. 

The sky is so blue and shining. It is not too hot or too cold like in Seoul, it is in between and I slowly loving this place. "Halmeoni.. was diagnosed with Alzheimer" he suddenly said and I look at him with my wide eyes. "Alzheimer.. isnt that some illness that make one forget everything ?" I asked and he nod, "Uhm, but fortunately she slowly recovered from that illness" he said and I sighed in relief. "I was worried for a few seconds just now.."

"But what Im trying to say is-" he turned his head to me as we walk through the rocky path, "-I want you to answer to her everytime she asked something from you. She has this habit when she will asked the same question over and over again" he grinned, "Halmeoni could ask for your name for more than ten times in a day"

"Really ? Thats.. is sad. Halmeoni.. perhaps- she still remember you, right ?"

"Who knows" he shrugged his shoulder, "It have been almost a month since the last time I met her. Ahhh.. I miss her homemade cookies. You should try some of it. It is beyond delicious" he said as he show the thumbs up sign to me.

"You make me hungryy!" I whined. "I cant wait to meet her, Chan, Lets go faster" I giggled as I pulled him by his hand. His laugh sounds like music to me right now, "Yahh, slow down~"

 

 


"Halmeoniiiiiii" Chanyeol said with his cute voice despite the deep voice that he has. "She must not at home" I said as I look around, "She's always home around this time though.." he slightly pout and I secretly smiled at this cute side of him. "Halmeoniiiii" he shout again as his eyes wildly looking around the house. 

"Follow me" he grab my hand and pulled me to the back of the house and I see an old lady sitting by herself on a chair as she looking at the view of the village. "Halmeoni ?" Chanyeol said and that old lady turned her head toward us. She squinted her eyes for a better view of us and frowned for a moment, "Who.. are these young couple ?" she asked with her hoarsed voice. 

"Halmeoni, its me, Chanyeol, your grandson ?" he said after we stand infront of her. "Ouh- and she is my other half, Nam Jihae" he introduced me to her. My other half ? That word make me feels weird, but weirdly good. I quickly throw that thought away and bow, "Annyeonghaseyo.. halmeoni" I said and smiles. "Chanyeol.. my grandson ?" she mumbled to herself as she stands up and put on a smile.
 
"ahh.. Park Chanyeol. You finally come.. I have been waiting" she said and Chanyeol pulled her into a hug, "Im sorry for taking too much time to come back" he said and I smiles at the this warm sight, such a lovely side of him. "Have you eaten your lunch ?" she asked and Chanyeol shook his head no before pouting and lower his body to her height. "I miss your homemade cookies.."

Halmeoni just smiles as she patted on Chanyeol's hair. "Bring your girl and get into the house.. I have bake some cookies this morning"

"Really ?" he asked in excited, "Jihae, lets get in" he signed me to follow him and I did. 

 

 

 


I am in the kitchen with halmeoni as she take out some freshly baked cookies from the oven. I smiles like a little kid waiting for her mum to serve cookies. It feels so new to have this kind of experience. I never get to meet my grandparents, maybe thats why I feel it this way. I finally find that feeling to have grandparents eventhough it is just Chanyeol's halmeoni that I meet.

All I do in the kitchen is staring at her as she prepared the cookies along with our lunch. I wanted to help but she asked me to just sit and wait since I am probably tired after the long drive. I have told her that we have reached here yesterday but I guess she forget everything that I just said. 

"You must be someone special for Chanyeol, right ?" she suddenly asked and I blinked my eyes, "U-uhh.." I stuttered as she grinned,

She is my other half... -Chanyeol's word ring in my head.

"Its okay, I know your answer since you wear that necklace.." she smiles at me warmly and I blushed a little, "Is it real that you gives him this necklace, halmeoni ?"

"Uhm. My husband gives it to me but since he left me.. I decided to inherit it to Chanyeol to gives it to his life partner. I want him to feels what I have experienced when I married to my life partner. This necklace.." she walk up to me and carressed the pendant, "..saw every happy moment that I have with him" she said and change her gaze to me. "And I want you to feels the same with Chanyeol."

Life partner.. 

"H-halmeoni.. I.. I cant accept this- I mean- this is too precious for you" my eyes trembled. I dont want to dissappoint her. There is no way I can accept this necklace when I know I will never be his life partner. I lower my head and look at her hand gently reached for mine. "Its okay" she said gently. "If anything ever happened.. I want you to keep it. I am sure Chanyeol have her own reason for giving this to you"

Its warm. Her hand. It is full of love and care. "Halmeoni.. I.. Im afraid if I cant"

"You can" she said and her hand tightened around mine, "You can" she repeat and carressed my long hair as she show me her smiles.

"She can what ?" Both of us turned to Chanyeol in unison. "Uh.. nothing ?" I said, unsure. "Chanyeol, come here and take the  cookies to the dining table, alright ?" Halmeoni said and Chanyeol quickly do as she said. When Chanyeol leaves and I am about to follow him, Halmeoni called me by my name, "Can you see how he look just now, dear ?"

I turned to halmeoni and blinked my eyes in confusion, "What do you mean, halmeoni ?"

"He looks so inlove, so bright like the clear sky in the morning"

"THIS IS SO DELICIOUSSSS" My eyes widened when I hear Chanyeol screaming and we both burst into laughter. "He is, indeed" I said to her.

"Have you heard about the small carnival they held at the town ?" Halmeoni asked after the three of us sit around the dining table. We both shook our head no. "Since we have got nothing to do after this.. should we go and have fun right there ?"

"But halmeoni, I thought your back hurt after that heavy work you did yesterday.." Chanyeol said in worried. "I will be okay after seeing you two eat, besides its been awhile since I take a walk for some fresh air" she said as she put on some side dishes onto my rice, "Halmeoni should eat a lot too so that you will have the energy to have fun with us" I said as I put some side dishes into her bowl. "What about meeeee" Chanyeol whined in frustation and I just laugh it off.

 

 


"Cotton candyyyyy !!" I squealed before tugging on Chanyeol's shirt. "You want it ?" he asked and I nodded like a little kid in excitement. "Anything for you" he held my hand and pulled me with him to the stall. He bought a blue cotton candy and handed it to me. I see his smile behind the blue cotton candy and it remind me to Halmeoni's word.

"He looks so inlove, so bright like the clear sky in the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter