17

One Step Closer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was two days after the first snow fall in Incheon. Everyone were in their classes, waiting patiently for the bell to ring for recess time. It was so cold indeed, I thought I was going to die freezing but yeah, Im still alive but literally dead.

 

"What are you looking for ?" 12th years old Baekhyun asked me as I keep on searching for my favourite purple hairband inside my bag. "Its goneeee" I whined and pouted. "What is ?" 

"The purple hair band you gives me last week, I swear I have it yesterday" I look at him, blinking my eyes in sorry. "I saw it yesterday too, on the rooftop I guess ?" he grinned, "Its okay, Im not mad" he said after seeing my apology face. He is indeed not mad at me, I literally never seen him getting mad before. Just sometimes but it so rare that I might taken a picture of him when he turned mad.

"Uhm.. can you accompany me for a while to the rooftop ? I really dont want to lost your gift again" I said as I played around with my small fingers, I was still sorry about my carelesness. I have lost many of his gifts because of my silliness and for that many times- he always let it go and just said its okay.

It was always like this.

"Uh-hum, I will" he said before concentrating on the class.

 

 


"Baekhy-" "Ji, Im sorry but saeng ask me to help him with the books" he said, I could see his face written with worried. "Ouh- really ?" I say, trying hard to hide my dissappointment. "Its okay, I wont take long anyway" I said as I started to walk away, but he stop me by grabbing my hand.

"You can wait for me though ?"

"Oh ? ..uhm, I really am okay with going alone. The rooftop is not that big, you know ?"

"You sure ?"

"Positive" I raised my hand with an ok sign with a smiles. He let go of my hand and take off his sweater before handed it to me, "Wear this, dont stay out there for too long, promise ?" I stared at the sweater and feels my heart beating in unusual pace. It is not the first time though. I always feels like this whenever he did this kind of thing. I feels protected. Maybe it was one of the reason on why I have a crush on him.

"Take it" he said and I finally grab it from his hand, "I promise" I said, "Thanks, see you in the next class, Baek !" I said as I run to the rooftop. "Dont slip on the snow !" he screamed and I just chuckled.

 

I wear Baekhyun's sweater and could feel the warm he left and his smell- or maybe his cologne- but anyway it still Baekhyuns. I take a moment to appreciating his sweater on me and his warm before opening the door to the rooftop. The cold wind and a few snowflakes hit me and I froze for a moment, I never thought its going to be this cold. 

I squinted my eyes and closed the door before looking for the purple band around the rooftop- and this is when I saw him. Standing on a narrow ledge six stories above the ground. Known as the school's freak- but everyone should know that he has a name too. He's Choi Seungcheol, my classmate. I wonder is this is the reason for his absent today- and the others day too.

He was always not there. Well, he is a school's freak, he always there and the next second he will be nowhere to be seen. Maybe during all that time, he was here, standing on the edge of the building.

"Hey" I said, hugging myself due to the coldness. I see his backside as he slowly turned his head to me. His bang slightly blowed by the winter wind, and his lips was blue, his eyes was sad and empty. "What are you doing right there ?" I asked innocently, "There is a lot of fun things in this world and you decided to stands there in this cold winter ?" I grinned, "You're funny" 

I see his eyes trembling as he hesitatedly taking a few stepbacks. Maybe because I was too small that I didnt aware about how dangerous it is to stands there. "Do you need help ? You might fall like this" I said as I walked up to him and extend my hand to him despite the cold weather.

"Is it fun standing there ? Are you looking at the view perhaps ?" 

"No, not fun at all" his voice trembled too, making me taking off of Baekhyun's sweater to him. "Here, you cant stay here in this cold weather or you will get sick, Seungcheol" His eyes widened at my statement and I dont know why. "W-what did you called me ?" he turned completely to me. His face written with shock, making me bewildered.

"Get off that place and take this sweater, youre going to die freezing" I said as I feels the coldness slowly eating me up. "Do you perhaps see my purple hairband around here, Seungcheol ?" The fog endlessly come out of my mouth, I want to go away from here as fast as possible but I need to find that gift.

"You called me Seungcheol" he smirked- or a smile I dont know, but it is the first time I ever seen him smiling. He is the school's freak, he never smiles. "Thanks" he said as taking his step off that ledge. "No one in this school ever called me by my name.." he put my hand with the sweater down, refusing to take it. He tucked his hand inside of his pocket and take out a familiar purple hairband, my eyes widened. I grab his cold hand and squealing hard. 

"You find it !!!" I could feel his hand stiffened under my touch, I quickly let go of my hand and faking a cough, "Er- uhm.. thank you, Seungcheol" I smiled awkwardly. "See you again" I quickly grab the hairband from his hand and leaves him alone on the rooftop. 

 

A few days after that incident- we becoming more closer and closer until Baekhyun warning me about talking to that school's freak. He even told my parents about me befriending with Seungcheol- and our relationship end right there and then. I never get to know him more except for a few things about him and his name. 

But years after, I meet him again. 

"How do you know Chanyeol ?" I asked, looking at him peeling the apple skin. "The same way when I know you ?" he said, "Its a question, I want an answer or a statement" I pouted.

"Consider that as an answer" he smirked, I cant deny on how attractive he is whenever he smirked or when he smile or in-between of that. "Are you saying you're trying to commit suicide again ?"

"Maybe"

"Why ? Tired of life ?" I grab a slice of apple from the plate and munched on it, the sweetness slowly fill in my mouth. "You can say it that way.. My emotion went back and forth back then. By times I will be really happy and thrilled but the other times I will feel extremely depressed to the point I wanted to gives up with life"

"May I asked for the reason ?" I raised my eyesbrows.

"Questions much ?" he said and I frowned, followed with his grinned, "Nahh, its just my feelings. No fixed reasons. Everything went back to normal after Chanyeol send me to meet a psychiatrist"

"Im glad he do so" I said, "He helps me sin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter