Awaited Confrontations

The Neighbors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YOONGI POV

When the bell rang signaling the end of third period, I stayed behind to talk to Key.  One reason was for interrupting the class with shocked screeching; the other was for the whole Jonghyun thing.  I walked up to the teacher’s desk, Key looked up at me from a pile of papers.  I cleared my throat,

 

“Key, I’m sorry for interrupting the class while you were teaching.”

 

He continued staring at me intensely.

 

“Um…” I looked down to my feet.  So how am I supposed to bring up the next topic?

 

That’s when Key spoke, “What’s your relationship with Jonghyun?”

 

I nearly choked on my saliva, “W-what?!”  I should be the one asking that question!

 

“Tha-that’s actually something I wanted to clear up with you! We’re not in any relationship besides a student-teacher one, and what you saw this morning wasn’t what it looked like!”

 

“What do you mean it’s not what it looked like? Of course it was!”  Key looked like he was about to cry.  “I thought he was the one!” his lower lip quivered, “He treated me so sweetly last night and all those other times and, and-“ Key started sobbing.

 

“Oh nonononono, Key don’t cry!” I rushed over to his side and debated on what to do.  I settled for awkwardly rubbing his back to calm him down. 

 

“Key…” I started quietly, “Mr. Jonghyun is one of those people who interacts with others purely through skinship. It comes to him naturally, so he doesn’t even notice when he gets too intimate. He tried to go after you to explain, but he said you wouldn’t listen to him.”

 

Key slowly looked up to me with teary eyes, “How do you know that?”

 

“Uh…” I rubbed my neck sheepishly, “He kind of asked me to explain to you, he’s really sorry. I don’t know if I should be saying this but Key, he said he really likes you.”  Wow, I am good at this.  I should start my own business that specializes in getting couples together.

 

Just then, SHINee’s ‘RingDingDong’ started blaring from somewhere inside the teacher’s desk.  Key wiped his eyes and opened the desk drawer, pulling out his phone.  The caller id said ‘Jonghyun’.

 

“Go on,” I encouraged, “Pick it up.”  I feel like a preschool teacher, but it’s okay, considering the circumstances.

 

He nodded like a child picked it up, “H-hello?”

 

“Key I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to make it seem like I had eyes for anyone but you! There is nothing going on between Yoongi and I! Did he talk to you about it? He promised he would-“

 

“-Yes he did explain everything to me.”

 

“One more thing Key, stay right where you are.”

 

The line went dead.  Key gaped at his phone.

 

“Did…he just hang up on me?” The blond teacher turned to me, “He just hung up! Just like that! What a jerk, I can’t believe-“ He rose up out of his seat, “I’m going to teach that-“

 

“-Key, let’s think this through rationally!” I tried to get him to sit back down but he ignored all my attempts.  He was a few feet from the door when it suddenly flew open revealing a panting Jonghyun.

 

“Key…I…I want to tell you something…” He came over and used me as an armrest as he caught his breath.  I shot him a look, his eyes widened and he backed off.  Key looked furious.

 

“Who the hell do you think you are? You think you can just hang up on me like that?!?  In the middle of a crappy, over-the-phone apology too! How dare-mmph!“

 

In an instant Jonghyun had Key’s face between his hands and lips against his own.  Okaaaay then.  I quickly made my way out of the classroom.  Just before the door closed, I heard Jonghyun,

 

“I love you Kibum.”  Well, that’s one problem solved.  Now I have another one: It’s already about fifteen minutes into fourth period.  Music composition.  With Namjoon.  I would have asked to stay in Key’s room for the rest of the period but I can’t go back to that classroom.  God only knows what’s going down in there.  I walked super slowly to Tablo’s class, dreading the confrontation I’d have to eventually face.  I had been standing outside his classroom for about two minutes now, debating on how I should make my entrance.  Before I could do anything, the door opened and a bunch of chatty students flooded out.  Oh.  That’s right; Tablo doesn’t make us stay in class the whole period.  So when Namjoon walked right out with them, I froze, closed my eyes, and pretended to be invisible.  Pretended, meaning I unfortunately didn’t actually turn invisible. 

 

“Yoongi!”

 

I took a deep breath, exhaled, and opened my eyes.  Keep it cool.  “Hey Namjoon,”

 

“Come one, let’s go to the tree and continue working on the song.” 

 

Wait what?  Did he like, forget what happened yesterday?  I looked at him suspiciously; he only smiled his cute dimpled smile.

 

“Yeah, uh, let me put my stuff in the room,” I said distractedly

 

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter