False Impressions

The Neighbors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YOONGI POV

 

Why?  Why has this week been filled with so many complications?  Every single day something unorthodox occurs, leaving me confused or flustered. 

 

But, I’m done for today.  I’m gonna go home and sleep comfortably in my bed until tomorrow morning.  While the rest of the students were making their way to their next classes, I had just fled the locker rooms and slipped out the school gates. 

 

During the walk back home, I stopped by a small grocery store to buy a snack to quench my hunger since I hadn’t eaten breakfast or lunch.  While in the checkout line, I noticed a familiar face ahead of me.  I craned my neck to catch a better glimpse.  Jung Jihye.  What is she doing here?  First of all, she’s skipping class, now I see her at the grocery store while she’s supposed to be in third period.  Well, so should I, but I have my reasons.  And, she’s been gone since Tuesday!

 

I quickly checked out after her and followed her outside; she was on her phone.  I clicked my tongue and walked up to her, flicking her on the forehead.

 

“Oww! Who the hell do you-Oh! Yoongi? What are you doing here?” she asked, rubbing her forehead

 

“I should be asking you the same thing young lady,” I regarded her sternly

 

She gulped.  “Uhh…”

 

“Why aren’t you in school? You should be learning right now, not shopping in your pajamas!”

 

“These aren’t my pajamas! They’re my, uh…HOME clothes.” She added smugly while nodding to herself.

 

“Really?”  I raised an eyebrow

 

“Yeah, really.” She said with a roll of her eyes

 

“I don’t need your sass, Jihye.”  I continued walking down the sidewalk to my house.  She walked along with me, shopping bag in hand.

 

“I’m not giving you sass, I’m just answering you,”

 

“You know, back when I was a kid, if I had that attitude with my mother, she’d ground me.”

 

“What’s your point?”

 

“If you talk to your elders like that, you can get grounded too.”

 

“Pssh, as if. There’s no one to ground me in the first place,”

 

“Really now? I can ground you,”

 

“What! No you can’t! You’re not even my parent!”

 

“I don’t have to be your parent, you are an irresponsible minor, and it is my job to look out for you. You should be going to school daily, learning more, and be speaking respectfully to your elders.”

 

“…I doubt you do any of that yourself…” she grumbled

 

“WHAT was that?” I questioned, giving her the ‘I-know-what-you-said-but-I’m-asking-anyway’ look.

 

“Nothing!”

 

I flicked her again.  “Do NOT raise your voice at your elders.”  Haha, this is kind of fun.  I wonder if this was how my mom felt when she was raising us.

 

“Ugh. You sound like a grandpa,”

 

I chuckled, “And you sound like my grandchild.”  She made a face

 

By then, we had reached my house and it was lunchtime.

 

“Hey lady, did you eat lunch yet?”

 

“What’s with ‘lady’? And no, I have not eaten yet.”

 

“Come in, we can have ramen or something,” I replied, ignoring the first question

 

“Okay,” she left her shoes by the door and came in, taking her shopping back with her.

 

“Kids these days…”

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing…”

 

After eating a decent lunch of ramen and ice cream Jihye had bought earlier from the store, we got bored.

 

“Hey Grandpa,” – Jihye had started calling me that now – “I’m bored. Let’s play a game!”  She smiled like a child who had just received candy.

 

“What game?”

 

“It’s called: I get to dress Grandpa up and take a picture and he can’t do anything about it!”

 

“Uh, how about no.”

 

She did the puppy dog eyes.  Oh god no.  “Pleeeeeeeaaaase~ Pretty pleeeaase! Pretty please with sugar and candy and sprinkles-“

 

“-Okay! Fine…” I mentally scolded myself for giving in.

 

“YAY!”
 

“Seriously, how did you pass off as a highschooler? You still belong in elementary,” I grumbled

 

“Shush Grandpa, I’ll make you feel young again!”

 

Suddenly, she produced a bag out of thin air and started removing various beauty products from it.  Among the few I could recognize were eyeliner, lipgloss, lipstick, and eyeshadow.  There were also a few things in tubes.  My eyes widened,

 

“Nuh-uh! There is no way I’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter