Through The Years

Seoul Madness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

July 2018

Yeri sits alone at their table, tapping her feet on the ground aimlessly as she waits for her eonnies to be back with food. It's a dinner buffet (or supper, whatever) for all the music festival performers and being the maknae that she is, she insisted (cutely) that she gets served by her eonnies. "Yah," Seulgi had said, "Weren't you the leader for SM's next girl group in training last time? They're debutting next year right?" "Yeah and yeah," Yeri pouted, "But SM removed me and put me with you guys as maknae, sooooo... heheh" "Fine."

So here she is, eyeing her eonnies who seem to be having lots of fun taking food. She laughs when she saw Wendy almost crashing into Joy and shakes her head in disbelief. Well, but afterall, it's Wendy. She takes out her phone and starts to scroll through Instagram, reading a few comments that the fans left. From the corner of her eye, she noticed a certain boy group maknae is sitting directly across her and seems to be staring at her. She fidgets a little uncomfortably. It's Jeon Jungkook.

Now look, it's not that Kim Yerim here has anything against him but he just makes her feel so uncomfortable? He's confessed to her twice already and things are just strange between them. She hasn't told anyone about his confessions except her members. Because really, everyone she knows seem to like BTS and so many of them like Jungkook that it'd be more than weird to tell them that Jungkook had confessed to her. I mean, imagine this conversation:

 

"So Jungkook from BTS confessed to me."

"wHAT?"

"Yeah. Two times."

"ARE YOU FOR REAL?"

"er..."

"YERIM-AH OMG I REALLY LIKE HIM!! I'M SUCH A FAN! OMG!"

"oh. er - "

"YOU'RE SO LUCKY HOW ON EARTH YERI!!!! It's THE jeon jungkook!!!!!"

"er yeah"

 

Yeah that's kinda very strange.

Yeri hadn't thought too much when he came up to her after Show Champion in August 2016 and asked for her number. He told her that as maknaes, they should plot something against their members and told her that a BTS member of his likes a member of Red Velvet and as maknaes (again) they should set them up. Yeri hadn't expected he was talking about him liking her, and he was so smiley and easy to talk to even though she just had her first legit conversation with him, she just gave him his number. They talked via kakao whenever they're free and somehow Yeri overlooked the fact that Jungkook had never brought up the BTS member ever again.

So when he confessed to her on Inkigayo backstage in April 2017, she got a major shock. Red Velvet had their 2nd win for their comeback and was resting in their waiting room after their encore stage when Inkigayo MC Jungkook walked in smiling with 5 bouquets. Yeri was the first to get up and greet him cheerfully for they were friends. "Hi!" Yeri bounced up from her chair, waving at him. How could she have overlook his eyes that were filled with nervousness the moment he entered and worsened when she got up to greet him? And the fact that they were 5 identical bouquets with pink cards in them but somehow had the Red Velvet members name individually written when it would make no difference if it was just given out randomly? Also the fact that hers had a red ribbon with a big bow while the others had smaller looking bows? Yeri had only laughed thinking he was clumsy and funny when he knocked his head against the door by accident before leaving their waiting room. She opened her pink card and it's message was significantly longer than her members. She hadn't thought much about it (yet again) for the first part was congratulating her on her group's win and telling her to work hard. But everything came down on her when the next paragraph started with a "I have something to tell you..." and went on to saying that he had liked her for more than a year. Yeri remembers putting her card down immediately to process the information and never gave it a second glance until she got back to the dorm with the members and was in her room. She stopped talking to him on kakao, didn't pick up his calls and either doesn't greet him when she sees him or is very awkward at it. Needless to say, Jungkook knew he got rejected. Yeri was under a 3-year dating ban at that time and also just didn't feel that way for him... yet.

They were able to talk a little more a few months later. "He probably got over me." Yeri said when Irene asked her about it. Jungkook had found out that Yeri was on 3-year dating ban and thought that was why he got rejected. April 2018 comes, safely after Yeri's 3-year dating ban since she debutted in March 2015, and Jungkook confesses again. Maybe it was talking to him again and seeing him perform like the charismatic talented guy that he is, Yeri was somewhat aware of the small little liking for him that was slowly growing. Jungkook had asked her to meet him for dinner in which she agreed and didn't think too much about it. There's just something powerful about a woman's sixth sense (yes, yeri is of legal age already - 19 international age, 20 korean age - and her coming of age performance probably was the reason why Jin found a nosebleeding Jungkook in the afternoon one day). She saw Jungkook standing by the bench that they arranged to meet at at the park before walking over to a nearby restaurant to eat and was immediatly thrown into a fight or flight mode. It was strange but she walked over with a smile anyway, thinking nothing would go wrong. But then suddenly Jungkook was handing her a big bouquet of red roses and having a nervous shy (yet extremely captivating) smile and Yeri found herself finding it difficult to breathe. "W-what's this?" She had asked, laughing nervously. "For you." was all he said. "Why?" She pushed a little, hoping he wouldn't say what she thinks he will say. "I like you." Jungkook said again and she stood frozen. Facing his confession in real life was a lot harder than the first time when she saw his confession on a card instead. "I- I'm sorry..." She muttered, hands shaking, she pushed the roses back to him and he took a step back, not receiving it back. Yeri didn't want to drop the roses on the ground, that would be rude and horrible. "Please." She said and pushed it back to him again. "Why?" He managed to say, sounding hurt. It was the second time, who wouldn't be hurt? She managed to look up at him. He's a good 20cm taller than her and his broad shoulders looked really welcoming. It was dark but the street lamp behind him was enough for her to see his grim expression. "It's the second time." He mumbled and paused before continuing, "I thought your ban is over..." "It is. Last month." Yeri replied, avoiding his gaze. "Then?" Jungkook asked, he was serious in wanting a proper answer this time. "I'm really sorry." Yeri said again, not sure why she was starting to cry. It alarmed Jungkook that when Yeri pushed the roses back to him again, he just took it back, allowing her to run away. Yeri texted him a few hours later. 

 

Yeri: hello are you awake? i hope i'm not disturbing you... i'm sorry for just now. i'm really sorry. it's just... i thought you got over me.

Yeri: i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter