JongYu

Eidolon

 

 

“Wait! Stop!”

And Jinki pressed the button making the elevator doors open again.

 

“Thanks man.” the other guy said in between breaths.

 

“Which floor?” Jinki asked, as he watched the man straighten up from the hunched position he was in.

 

“6th please.” He smiled at Jinki and the looked at the number panel.

“Oh going all the way upto the top? You work in the finance department?” Jinki gave a noncommittal nod, his mind busy taking in the allure of the other man.
His cheeks were slightly pink, his hair disheveled, but still perfectly framing his face, his jawline sharp and his smile was an enchantment itself.

 

Jinki saw the man move from the back of the elevator where he was to the front as his floor neared.

 

“But seriously, thanks.” he man said turning around to face Jinki. “Otherwise I would have been late on my first day.” He said grinning.

 

The elevator doors opened, he gave Jinki a small nod and was off.

 

That was the first time Jinki met Jonghyun.

 

-----

 

The second time Jinki saw Jonghyun was a week later. Jonghyun was sitting by himself in the coffee shop near their office. Jinki got down from the car, told his chauffeur to park nearby, made a few calls and walked inside the cafe. He made a quick order of a latte and two muffins.

 

“Can I sit here?”

 

Jonghyun looked up. His eyes widening at first and a slow grin spreading on his face. “The elevator guy!” he pulled his tray towards himself.

 

“I’m Jinki.” Jinki said as he set down his tray and sat down opposite to Jonghyun.

 

“Jonghyun.” he gave a cheeky smile as he lifted up his cup.

“What brings you here?” he asked after taking a small sip.

 

Jinki looked at him amused. You. “Hunger maybe?” he answered. “What brings you here?”

 

Jonghyun let out a dramatic sigh. “Everyone went out for lunch for the new recruits, but I didn't go with them, I’m on a diet you see, so told them I had a date with a friend, and here I am.” He sighed dramatically again.
“But I’m glad you came, if they happen to drop by here while going back, they wouldn’t know i lied.” Jonghyun winked.

 

Jinki couldn’t help but chuckle, and an easy atmosphere flourished.
“But seriously, will that be enough?” Jinki asked as he looked at the  single slice of marble loaf in Jonghyun’s plate.

 

“Shh.” Jonghyun said. “Don’t say anything, otherwise I’ll give in to my cravings.” and he looked at Jinki with such puppy eyes, that Jinki could feel his heart stop.

 

“Okay fine.” Jinki said and he went back to his own muffin.

 

Time passed easily, conversation flowing between them like water, until the ringing of Jinki’s phone informed them that a few more minutes and they would be late.

 

They bid goodbye at the doorstep with promises of meeting again later. Jinki called back his chauffeur and headed to the meeting he had postponed earlier, but his mind still fastened on the time spent with Jonghyun in the cafe. For the first time Jinki had actually enjoyed someone’s company and the fact that Jonghyun had still not realised who he was made him realise that everything that had conspired between him and Jonghyun was genuine, and Jonghyun wasn’t after his money, like the many others he had encountered before.

 

-----

 

“Your presence isn’t that necessary Sir.” Jinki’s secretary said as she followed Jinki. “You need to be at the meeting with Mr Rodriguez.”

 

“It’s alright,” Jinki said, stopping in front of the closed doors of the conference hall in his office.

“Send in...Minho in my place, it won’t matter I have better places to be.”

 

“But Sir-”

 

Jinki slowly pushed the door open and entered, trying to make as less noise as possible. He was glad that no heads had turned in his direction. He sat down in the back and watched the presentation.

 

His secretary had informed him that a presentation was going on for the board of directors, and the presence of the chairman wasn’t required, as the directors said they would handle it. But Jinki had to go once he found out that it was being presented by Jonghyun Kim, the new recruit in the Designing and Marketing department.

 

He gave a small smile when his eyes met with Jonghyun during his presentation. He saw Jonghyun’s eyes widen and his eyebrows wrinkle in question but he still continued on with his presentation about the change of the logo and the product design.

 

An hour later Jonghyun’s presentation ended. He sunk into his chair, his face bent as he waited for all to leave.

 

“How did you get inside?”

 

Jinki looked up at an amused as well as confused Jonghyun. He looked around the hall once and on finding no one sat straighter.

 

“I snuck in when I heard you were giving the presentation.”

 

“How was it? Did they like it? Will it get approved?” Jonghyun asked all the questions that were troubling him inside.

 

“Was that your own design? Your own idea?” Jinki asked as he got up. He took some of the files from Jonghyun and they made way through the hall.

 

“Yes! That’s why I’m worried. It’s my first time giving such a presentation too.”

 

Jinki nodded. “I think they liked it, you don’t need to worry.” and he ruffled Jonghyun’s hair with his free hand. Jonghyun’s idea was still a bit raw, but it was good, it only needed a little more polishing. Jinki promised to himself as he held the door open for Jonghyun, even if they don’t like it, I’ll see to it that they get to see the true prospect behind this proposal and get it accepted.

 

“Won’t you get in trouble?” Jonghyun asked as they waited for the elevator.

 

“For what?”

 

“You know, for ditching work to come see me.” Jinki could see Jonghyun’s ears redden at that.

 

The elevator dinged informing of it’s arrival. Jinki handed back the files to Jonghyun.

 

“I have my ways of getting out of trouble.” Jinki winked at Jonghyun as the doors closed.

 

The last thing he saw was Jonghyun grinning at him before the doors closed.

 

------

 

After that there were many chance meetings they both had. Sometimes in the parking lot while they were leaving for home, or in the cafe when Jonghyun would come to collect coffee for him and his colleagues.

 

And with each rendezvous Jinki could feel that something was changing between them. The desire to stay back together and chat up more, increased with each passing meet. He had realized he had started noticing Jonghyun more, his eyes, that delicious blush on his cheeks, those full lips and the moments when Jonghyun would just make his heart stop.

Yes he had realized that each rendezvous had left him missing with a piece of his heart.

 

------

 

“Hyung!” Jinki heard Jonghyun call out to him, he came running to him as he got down from the elevator.

 

“Are you free tonight?”

 

“Uh maybe. Why?” Jinki asked, the papers that he had to go through at home popping up in mind.

 

“Good,” Jonghyun mumbled. “Um,” he spoke louder, “Will you go out for a movie with me?”

 

“Movie?”

 

Jonghyun nodded. “Yes, no one wants to go with me.” Jonghyun pouted cutely.

 

Jinki could feel himself melting at that pout, nothing can stand in front of that pout, not even those deals, he thought.
“Which one?”

Jonghyun looked up sheepishly at him, “Toy Story 3.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“You don’t have a problem watching a kid's movie with me? All of the others who I asked, said they wouldn’t. Said I need to grow up.” Jonghyun ranted.

 

“No, I have no problem.” Jinki smiled. “What time and where?”

 

“At 9 in the theatre in Myeong-dong, you know the one in the Lotte department store?”

 

Jinki nodded. “Let’s meet up at 8 in front of the theatre, have dinner somewhere nearby and then go for the movie. Let’s make it a date?”

 

Jonghyun blushed at Jinki’s suggestion but complied nonetheless. They soon parted ways after exchanging numbers.

 

------

 

“You look so cool!” Jonghyun exclaimed as he saw Jinki near him. “Not that the suits don’t suit you, but this change is good too.” Jinki was dressed in black skinny jeans paired with a white polo shirt, with the top buttons undone, and the sleeves rolled up.

 

“You don’t look that bad yourself.” Jinki said as eyed Jonghyun from top to bottom. He wore a hat, paired with a black faded jeans and a printed tee with a jacket.

 

Jonghyun blushed at the comment, “Where do you wanna go for dinner?” he asked.

 

“Let’s walk around, if we find anything good we’ll have that.” Jinki laced his fingers with Jonghyun and pulled him forward to the crowded street in front of them.

 

Their earlier awkwardness forgotten when they first held hands as they looked around the shops, laughing at the way a few mannequins were placed, teasing each other when they came across a funny or a strange clothing or article.

The smell of meat frying made them stop, Jonghyun looked up at Jinki with those puppy eyes again.
“It’s alright Kim Jonghyun! You can eat! And if you are that worried about your diet, just work out harder tomorrow or better yet let me introduce you to my trainer okay? You see me, I don’t need to diet that strictly!”

Jonghyun nodded and let Jinki pull him to the stall.

 

A chance glance at his watch told Jinki that they were only just five minutes left for their movie. They took their corn dogs, paid and rushed to the theatre, eating their hot corn dogs on the way.

 

Jinki ushered Jonghyun inside as he went to the popcorn station. He made way slowly up to their seats in the darkness, apologizing along the way when he stamped someone’s feet.

 

“Had it begun?” Jinki asked as he gave Jonghyun his drink and sat down.

 

“No,” Jonghyun whispered, “I was right on time.”

 

Jinki hummed his affirmation and placed the popcorn tub in between them.

 

That night Jinki learned that Jonghyun really enjoyed animated movies and got emotional very soon.

As the movie drew to it’s end, Jinki found Jonghyun silently crying. He laced their fingers again and gave a gentle squeeze.

 

As the movie came to an end, Jinki followed Jonghyun to the washroom, though the crying had stopped, but the sniffles didn’t and so did the uneven breaths.

Jinki watched the most endearing site in front of him, Jonghyun’s puffy and twinkling eyes, his nose and cheeks a beautiful pink hue and that quivering lower lip, and at last he couldn’t hold it in. He pulled Jonghyun closer. “It’s alright.” and he gave Jonghyun a small kiss on his lips. Thankfully the washroom was empty.

 

That definitely stopped the sniffles, but the uneven breaths remained, though now for a different reason. Jonghyun washed up his face, but no amount of water could tone down the intensity of the blush on his face.

 

They walked out of the washroom hand in hand, even more closer than they were before.

 

They walked down the mall going through all the levels, checking out the ‘in’ things, laughing at people as they made funny faces for their selfies.

 

Jinki walked Jonghyun home as he lived nearby as Jonghyun insisted on walking rather than using Jinki’s car. He had suggested they part ways in the mall itself, but Jinki didn’t heed to Jonghyun’s ways and Jonghyun gave in to Jinki’s insistence on walking him home.

When they reached Jonghyun’s doorstep, Jinki was more than happy with the goodbye kiss he got.

 

------

 

After five more dates with Jonghyun, Jinki knew his feelings for the other man wouldn’t change, in fact they kept thriving and flourishing.
And he knew these strong feelings were mutual, he could see the same feelings he felt reflected in Jonghyun’s eyes. At first, when they had begun dating, for a fleeting second the differences between him and Jonghyun flashed in his mind, but he let them go, because the similarities between them were far more greater; and money was never a point to be taken into consideration.

 

-----

 

“I can’t agree to such a request Jonghyun!” Jonghyun’s HOD exclaimed when he had submitted a letter of leave.

 

“But it’s a genuine reason.” Jonghyun pleaded.

 

“I...I know, I can see how troubled you are, but I can’t accept such a reason.”

 

“Ma’am!”

 

“Why don’t you meet the chairman himself? Heard he’s in the office today. At the end it is his approval we all need and if he agrees, then what can we all say?”

 

“Okay fine.” Jonghyun huffed his way out of the HOD’s cabin.


 

If he doesn’t agree to my request, I’ll just meet Jinki there and then go out for lunch where we’ll   about our ty boss, Jonghyun thought as he rode up the elevator to last floor.

 

He looked around the floor searching for Jinki as he made way to the big cabin at the end. He handed in his letter and the reason for meeting the Chairman to his PA. She called up the chairman informing of his visit.

 

Jonghyun couldn’t hear the conversation on the other side, but he could see her nod her head and look at him in confusion.

“You can go in.” and she handed back the papers to Jonghyun.

 

Jonghyun knocked on the door and when he got a muffled reply he entered.
“Jinki?” he asked in bewilderment as he made way to the large desk.

 

“Jonghyun!” amusement clearly evident on Jinki’s face.

 

You are the chairman!?” Jonghyun exclaimed as sat down opposite to Jinki. “Oh man!” and hearty laughter filled in. “I hope you’ll see to it that all my complaints are dealt with then.” and he winked at Jinki.

 

Jinki laughed good naturedly, “So, what brings you here Mr Kim?” Jinki asked, his eyes crinkling.

 

Jonghyun handed him his application of leave, “I...I suffer from insomnia, and this past month has been terrible, and even if I fall asleep, it’s only for an hour or two or if I’m lucky maybe three. And, “ Jonghyun sighed, “and this is taking a toll on my work.”

 

Jinki nodded, he handed back the papers to Jonghyun.

 

“I’m so distracted,” Jonghyun let out a frustrated sigh, “I’ve not finished any of the assigned projects, and the stress is adding on to it.”

 

Jonghyun saw Jinki lift up the cordless phone and press a number.

 

“Seong bin, I want you to write a notice regarding Kim Jonghyun’s leave, ah no, paid leave for a week.” he looked at Jonghyun an eyebrow raised, asking whether he was okay with it.

Jonghyun nodded back enthusiastically. “Hand it to him on his way out.” and he kept the receiver down.

 

“Ah, so this the perks of having the chairman as your boyfriend huh?  A paid leave!” Jonghyun smirked.

 

Jonghyun loitered a while more in Jinki’s office asking him all sorts of questions like who was his favourite employee (“Hey! It should be me and not MInho! I’m your boyfriend!) until he was finally kicked out when Jinki had to go over a few papers before a meeting.

 

Jonghyun took the paper from Jinki’s secretary and went down to his own floor, a smug smile on his face. He handed in the notice to the HOD, who could only utter a why upon reading the notice. Jonghyun only just winked at her.

 

-------

 

That night found Jinki in his pajamas with a tub of icecream in his hand at Jonghyun’s doorstep.

 

“What are you doing here?” Jonghyun asked as he let Jinki in.

 

“Heard icecream helps you fall asleep.” and he handed over the tub to Jonghyun.

 

And that night Jonghyun did fall asleep, it partly might be due to the ice cream, but it was mostly due to the strong arms that held him warm in an embrace.

 


 

A/N:
This AU has a special place in heart ;--;