JongYu

Eidolon

 

Jinki entered the room as quietly as possible, he sat down beside the lone figure in the back. He was pulled into a crushing hug and he found himself Jonghyun’s back, trying to calm him down.

 

After reaching home he had dialed up Jonghyun to find out the reason for his absence today when he was informed that Jonghyun’s uncle, his mother’s brother had passed away. He dressed up appropriately and was soon headed to the funeral.

 

From the way Jonghyun clung to him and cried he guessed this was the favourite uncle Jonghyun always talked about, the one that loved Jonghyun like his own son. He let Jonghyun cry till his heart's content, his arms wound around him protectively.

 

“I’m sorry.” Jonghyun said softly as he pulled back when he was calm enough.

 

“It’s alright,” Jinki said as he helped Jonghyun wipe a few stray tears. “Have you eaten anything?” Jinki asked as he poured Jonghyun a glass of water.

 

Jonghyun shook his head before he gulped down the water, some of it trickling down his chin. “I’m not hungry.” he said as he wiped the water.

 

Jinki sighed, he got up and extended his hand towards Jonghyun. “Come.”

 

Jonghyun contemplated for a few seconds, finally holding onto Jinki’s hand for support as he stood up.

 

-

 

“I don’t think I can eat this much.” Jonghyun said when Jinki put the plate down in front of me.

 

Jinki frowned at that. “Okay,” he said as he moved the plate, “let’s share then.”

 

After they were done Jinki sat for a few more hours with Jonghyun. They would occasionally make small talk or would sit in silence. Something they were talking about set off Jonghyun’s tears again and Jinki gently pulled the man in his embrace.

 

Even though Jonghyun had calmed down he didn’t feel like leaving the other’s warm and gentle hold. A chance glance at the clock on the wall had him eventually pulling out of the embrace. “It’s pretty late, you should leave.”

 

“Are you sure you can go back home alone?” Jinki asked.

 

Jonghyun nodded. “Thank you for coming, Jinki.”

 

-

 

The next day at work Jinki was informed that Jonghyun had taken a few days off and all of Jonghyun’s work was transferred to him. He gladly accepted it, though he felt this pang of loneliness a few hours into work. He was used to Jonghyun’s little breaks for gossips and news every now and then. He eventually gave in to his heart’s desire to talk to the other man and sent him a text. He got a reply after a few minutes informing him that the other was up and was currently having a breakfast of his cinnamon cereal.

 

Jinki smiled at the little knowledge, at least he was eating. He talked till he was called in for a submission of his files, reminding him of his pending work. He hastily excused himself and got down to work.

 

-

 

On his way home, Jinki stopped by the pizza place he and Jonghyun frequented for work. He picked up their favourites and drove to Jonghyun’s home, his heart beat increasing in anticipation.


 

“Jinki?” Jonghyun said as he opened the door. “What are you doing here?” he asked as he let Jinki in.

 

“Pizza!” Jinki said and he gestured to the cover in his hand. His heart ached at the small smile Jonghyun gave him.

 

Jinki handed over the covers to Jonghyun when Roo, Jonghyun’s dog made it impossible for Jinki to walk, jumping and whining so that Jinki would hold her. He had been introduced to her before and the dog had taken a liking towards him, making Jonghyun chuckle at the cuddling duo.

 

Jinki picked up Roo and followed Jonghyun into the kitchen. As Jonghyun warmed the pizzas, Jinki set out Roo’s dinner for her.

 

Jinki talked about all the days happening over pizza, the tantrum Kibum threw when Taemin jammed the xerox machine again and how Minho had come to Taemin’s rescue and had whisked him away, safe from Kibum’s clutches.

 

He heard Jonghyun snort at that and he couldn’t help the chuckle that left him.

 

They talked for about an hour or two more and then Jonghyun sent Jinki off, stating he had to go in for work early tomorrow.

 

-

 

The next day Jinki got off work early and he headed straight for Jonghyun’s home.

 

“Hey!” Jinki said when the door was opened for him, his smile falling at the sight that had greeted him. He closed the door behind him and immediately pulled Jonghyun in his embrace.

 

“It’ll be alright,” Jinki whispered and he led Jonghyun towards the couch.

 

“He used to call me at this time in the evening.” Jonghyun said, silent tears running down his cheeks. “And I realised now that I would never be getting his calls again.”

 

Jinki tightened his hold around the other, his heart aching at the sorrow and hurt he heard in the others voice, he entangled his fingers with Jonghyun and gave them a squeeze.

 

Roo who was in the other room came out when she heard the door open and close. She sat down near their feet, her head resting on Jinki’s feet.

 

It took a while for Jonghyun’s breath to even out, he finally pulled back, giving Jinki a small smile as he got up. Jinki picked Roo up and set her in his lap as he waited for Jonghyun to return.

 

Jonghyun came back with a glass of water and handed it to Jinki.

 

“Did you drink?” Jinki asked.

 

Jonghyun nodded as he sat down beside Jinki, leaning into him slightly.

 

“She’s gotten fat, hasn’t she?” Jinki commented as he Roo’s ears.

 

“She’s got a lazy .” Jonghyun said, “and I haven’t taken her out for a walk recently too.”

 

“Why don’t we take her out for a walk now?” Jinki suggested. “If that’s alright with you?” he asked.

 

“Yeah let’s do that. I think I need some fresh air.” and he excused himself to change and get Roo’s leash.

 

They walked to the park, Jinki sharing the stories that had happened at office today. When they arrived at the park they played a game of fetch with Roo, making her run around with them. Jinki was glad that he had suggested they go out for a walk when he heard Jonghyun chuckle.

 

They stopped by the ice cream parlour on Jinki’s insistence and Jonghyun found himself giving into Jinki’s ridiculous pout.

 

Jinki walked them back to the apartment, his feet heavy at the impending separation; they had been having a good time.

 

“Thank you for today, Jinki.” Jonghyun said with a smile. He leaned in and gave Jinki a small kiss on the cheek.

 

Jinki felt his cheek heat up where it had met Jonghyun’s soft lips, he bid goodbye with a fluttering heart that made it hard to find sleep that night.

 

-

 

All throughout the day Jinki’s mind would go back to the small kiss of the previous night. Yes, Jinki did have a crush on Jonghyun and as the days they passed together increased he found his crush blossoming into something more. The past few days had had him realise that, yes, he was slowly falling in love with Jonghyun.

 

In the evening he called up Jonghyun, checking up on him, who informed him that he was about to go out for a walk with Roo. Oh how Jinki wished he could skip work so that he could go on a walk again. He bid Jonghyun goodbye, telling him that he would call again.

 

At around eight in the night Jinki got off work and found himself involuntarily driving to Jonghyun’s place. He parked outside the apartment complex, contemplating whether to go back or not and eventually he gave in to his desire to see Jonghyun again.

 

-

 

With a nervous heart Jinki rang the bell, his nervousness diffusing at the smile that adorned Jonghyun’s lips.

 

“I was hoping you’d come tonight.” Jonghyun said as he led Jinki inside.

 

Jinki found his heart beating vigorously at that simple sentence. He found himself being ushered down into one of the dining table chairs and a bowl of macaroni and cheese was served to him.

 

“It’s your favourite, isn’t it?” Jonghyun asked as he sat down in front of Jinki.

 

Jinki nodded. “Thank you for the delicious meal.” he smiled and he dug into the hot food.

 

They talked over dinner, discussing the things that had happened over work, discussing Roo, discussing almost everything they could think of.

 

After dinner they sat down in front of the tv, beer bottles in hand as they searched for a movie to watch.

 

As the end credits began to roll Jinki announced he’d leave now. Jonghyun nodded and led him to the door. “Thank you for always being there Jinki.” Jonghyun said with that smile of his that made Jinki’s heart wobble in it’s cage.

 

Jinki swallowed his nerves as he expressed a desire of his, Jonghyun’s smile overwhelming him with feelings. “Can I kiss you? Just a little goodbye kiss?” Jinki asked.

 

Jonghyun nodded and gave him one of those heart stopping smiles again.

 

Jinki leaned down and gave a small peck on Jonghyun’s cheek. He felt Jonghyun’s hands catch hold of his collar and pull him closer.

 

“Thank you.” Jonghyun whispered before he pressed his lips against Jinki’s in a short kiss. Jinki was rendered speechless at that intimate contact and he only found himself nodding when Jonghyun informed him that he would see Jinki at work tomorrow.


 

That night as Jinki lay in bed, thinking about Jonghyun, about how strong he was despite his tears, about how brave he was, about how patient he was, about how he was slowly moving on. He was beautiful no matter what and Jinki wanted every bit of him. At this very thought was when Jinki realised that he was in love with Jonghyun far more than he could measure.