Chapter 29 - Big Problem

Prom15e to 13elieve

 

Big Problem

~Hankyung POV~

The moment I saw Kangin running toward us, I couldn’t hold back my smile. It’s been so long since I’ve seen him. I’ve missed him so much. I never even got to see him off when he left two months ago...

“Kangin-hyung!” Kyuhyun exclaimed, quietly, as Kangin crouched down into the bushes. Kyuhyun threw his arms around Kangin, who hugged him back.

“Hey, maknae,” Kangin greeted, letting go of the hug, “Mochi and Mi are here too!” He hugged the other two while Kibum settled himself in the bushes, “You got to take that stuff off of your faces, it looks ridiculous.” Oh, he was talking about the clay. I reached up and took it off, scratching my cheek afterward. I then looked up and saw Kangin looking at me.

“Long time no see, Hyung,” he said, smiling. I smiled at him too and reached over to hug him. He embraced me tightly and I held my tears in. I missed this raccoon so much...

“This is great!” Kyuhyun started saying, a bright smile on his face, “I got everyone now! And we still have twelve days to spare! We did it!”

“Not exactly,” Kibum sighed, looking at Kangin.

“What do you mean?” Henry asked. Kangin sighed, a depressed look on his face. That’s when it hit me, it’s never this easy...

“I can’t leave,” Kangin explained, “Not now.”

“Then when?” Kyuhyun asked, looking like he was going to cry any second.

“October,” Kangin said, “I need at least 100 days in the military before they grant me a vacation. And even then, I don’t think they’ll let me leave...”

“Why not?” Kyuhyun asked, tears visible in his eyes, “You’re not even close to the age limit and you’re going to come back. Why won’t they let you leave for a year?”

“Kyuhyun-ah,” Kangin said, gently, “Kibum-ah explained everything to me, and I get it. I really do understand what you’re going through...”

“Do you?” Kyuhyun fired back, “Do you really? Do you know what it’s like to see them all throwing punches and screaming at each other as if they hate each other?”

“Don’t forget that you weren’t around for the first year of Super Junior, Kyuhyun-ah,” Kangin retorted, sharpening his tone, “You don’t know what our ‘Miracle’ days were like. And there was another reason that Leeteuk didn’t like you when you first joined.” Kyuhyun was silent and Kangin sighed, “You were supposed to come in and be a part of the new generation of Super Junior. You weren’t an addition, Kyuhyun-ah, you were a replacement.” I glanced at Kyuhyun, who was looking at Kangin with wide eyes.

“Things weren’t too good then, right Hankyung-hyung?” Kangin continued, looking at me. I felt all eyes on me and I lowered my head.

“It’s not something I like to think about,” I said, “So let’s stop talking about it.” Kangin nodded and I took a deep breath. I hated thinking about back then. It only reminds me of the hard times I had. When I couldn’t show my face on stage, when I couldn’t appear on television shows, when I couldn’t do so much because I was from China. And then, the thought that it would all end before I even got the chance to show my other talents...I couldn’t bear it. I still can’t...

“So why won’t they let you leave?” Zhou Mi asked, changing the subject.

“I enlisted to serve for two years,” Kangin told them, “And that means I need to serve for two years.”

“You can still serve two years though,” Kyuhyun protested, “Just at different times.”

“Even if they allow that,” Kangin sighed, “By the time I put in my request for a 12-month leave, the government processes it, I state my reasoning to them, and then they grant it, the two years will be over. It won’t do anything.”

“But, Hyung...” Kyuhyun pleaded.

“I’m so sorry, Kyuhyun-ah,” Kangin said, putting a hand on his shoulder, “I truly am. I really wish that I could just pack up and leave, but that would basically make me a fugitive. It would only extend my time in the army.” I looked at Kyuhyun, feeling tears in my eyes. We came so far, Kyuhyun came so far, and in the end, it doesn’t work. We can’t get Kangin out of the army.

“Just go back,” Kangin told Kyuhyun, rubbing his back, “Take Hankyung-hyung, Zhou Mi, Kibum, and Henry back to Seoul and prepare for the album. You will do great without me.”

“No,” Kyuhyun said, clearly, “I’m not leaving without you.”

“Kyuhyun-ah...”

“I started this trip with the goal of going back with everyone,” Kyuhyun stated, wiping his tears away, “I’m not going back without you.”

“I can’t leave, Kyu,” Kangin said, emphasizing his words, “I already explained this. And on top of the time, it won’t be done quietly. You know the media...they find out everything. I can’t afford another scandal!” Kangin’s right. With the assault case and then the DUI, a third scandal will knock him out of the entertainment industry for good.

“Kangin’s right, Kyu,” I sighed, and he looked over at me, “He can’t afford another scandal, and we can’t get him out of the army. You’re supposed to be bed ridden, Kyu. Kibum is supposed to be shooting a drama and I’m supposed to be preparing for my next album. Zhou Mi and Henry are supposed to be relaxing with their families. We can’t get caught trying to help Kangin out of the army and Kangin can’t get caught trying to get out of the army.”

“So you’re saying we’re wasting our time then?” Kyuhyun asked me, and I looked away from him. The look on his face just screamed betrayal.

“That’s not what Hankyung-hyung means, Kyuhyun-ah,” Zhou Mi said, “He’s just saying that Kangin-hyung can’t get out of the army right now. Our best bet is to go back to Seoul and stop Heechul from entering the army. Even if we can get Kangin-hyung out of the army soon, we can’t do it in twelve days.”

“Stop Heechul, Kyuhyun-ah,” Kangin said, “I’ll make a deal with you. I’ll talk to my commander about getting a year leave, if you go back to Seoul right now and stop Heechul. It’s too late for me, but not for Heechul.”

Kyuhyun opened his mouth to say something, but closed it again. Kangin gave him a small smile, “I promise, I’ll talk to my commander. He’s an understanding guy. I’m sure he’d help me out of this situation. But, you’re not going to do anything by staying here, understand?”

Kyuhyun nodded his head and I smiled.

“So,” I said, rubbing Kyuhyun’s back, “We’ll go back to Seoul and stop Heechul, and then we’ll worry about Kangin, ok?” Kyuhyun took a deep breath and smiled.

“Ok,” he said, and Kangin smiled. He pulled Kyuhyun in for a hug and Kyuhyun started crying.

“Don’t cry, maknae,” Kangin chuckled, “It’s not forever.”

“I miss you, Hyung,” Kyuhyun whispered, and I felt tears in my eyes as well. Kangin gave him a pat on the back as he pulled away. He then looked at all of us and chuckled.

“Get over here, you guys,” he said, holding his arms out. We all crawled over and started hugging him together, laughing.

“Ow!” Henry exclaimed, “That was my leg!”

“These damn branches,” Zhou Mi muttered, “I have another hole in my shirt!”

“Oh shut up about the damn shirt!” Kyuhyun retorted, grinning. I laughed at the entire situation. Suddenly, a horn sounded from the base. Kangin sighed.

“Lunch break is over,” he said, smiling, “I promise, I’ll work on it. We’ll keep in touch.”

“Ok,” Kyuhyun said, smiling. Kangin gave everyone one last hug before running out of the bushes and back into the army base. The five of us started to crawl out of the bushes together to head back to the hotel. We kept our hats and sunglasses on to cover our faces as much as possible. When we reached the hotel, we began packing our stuff up.

“Ok, it’s time to get going,” Kyuhyun said, smiling, “We’re going to stop Heechul!” We all cheered in the room while we continued packing. Suddenly, my cell phone started ringing. I didn’t recognize the number.

Hello?” I answered in Chinese, not sure who was calling me.

“Is this Han Geng?” someone said in Korean.

“Yes,” I answered, walking into the bathroom and shutting the door, “Who is this?”

“I am calling on behalf of the Korean Embassy,” the man said, “There is a problem with your visa Mr. Han. You need to come to the Embassy right away.” I felt my heart sink when he said that.

“Um, when do I need to be there?” I asked, hoping that luck was on my side and I could show up in a few days.

“This afternoon,” the man said, “If not, you will be deported back to China immediately with no chance of re-entering for the next few months, at least.” I could feel the color draining from my face as he said that.

“How long will it take to fix?” I wondered.

“At the moment, it doesn’t seem like it can be fixed, Mr. Han. You need to come here immediately though so we can determine whether you can get a temporary visa or if you will have to be deported back to China.”

I took a deep, shaky breath, “I understand. I’ll be there by this evening.”

“We will be waiting for you.” And with that, the man hung up. I slowly lowered my phone, staring at the floor. I’m not allowed in Korea? Why? What is going on?

A knock on the bathroom door woke me up. I got up and opened the door to see Kibum there, smiling. His smile faded as soon as he saw my face though. I must look terrible.

“What’s wrong, Hyung?” he asked, worried. I shook my head, glancing down at the phone in my hand, then back up at Kibum. I gulped and took a deep breath.

“We have a problem, Kibum-ah,” I said, and I saw everyone stop packing and look at me, “A big problem.”