Demoralized

Everlasting Impressions

Huang Zitao meandered aimlessly in the midst of darkness and silence until he was ‘thrown out of his body’… or at least that’s what he thought of himself when he saw that he was lying on a hospital bed, hooked up to several machines whose names he’d never heard of.

 

The hospital staff whispered amongst themselves. They said weird things about his heart stopping and then coming back like as if he were some kind of freak. He stared at himself and then at the machines that registered his heartbeat. He was still somewhat alive despite being outside of his body for so long. The problem was getting back into it. He’d tried to jump back into his vessel but it rejected him. Why he was still alive if his body didn’t want him back? He wondered if it had to do with the string around his ankle; it was a rope that joined him to his body.

 

Tao sank to the ground. He felt like he’d seen and heard too much to last a lifetime. He’d been wrong of course because not long after he’d thought that someone came to visit him. Seryung stood at his door for the longest time, while he took cover hiding at the side of the bed. If she saw him in this state she would surely cry. Even in his attempt he couldn’t stop her from shedding tears. A part of him wanted to rush over and wrap his arms around her, but of course he couldn’t.

“She cannot see thee.”

He blinked and stared at the winged figure. “Why?” He mouthed in fear that she might over hear.

“Because she cannot. Humans are not permitted to see what they cannot bear. It is but the norm, although it doth sully.”

Tao bobbed his head warily and dared to peep at her. She was pressing her lips against his hand. It made his heart ache to watch. He dared himself to appear at her side and place his palm atop of hers. Like the winged soul had said, she wasn’t able to see him. Not even when he waved his hand in front of her face did she turn to stare. It was weird!

“But you can see ghosts!” He reminded her aggravated that she couldn’t see him. “Why can’t she see me? What did you do to her?”

“An Angel of Death is not one of Light, for only with light doth come sight.”

“What the hell does that mean?!”

“It is not of concern when thou has died, for death is the end of human life.”

A monstrous wail made his eyes turn large. It belonged to an inky lump that moved like a carcass. It was neither human, nor animal. It was a thing with a head but no eyes, nose or mouth. A diagonal stitch crossed its face. A hole stood where the heart should have been. It floated like a shadow without direction for a while as if it were confused. He dared to shudder. Suddenly it began to elongate into a giant. The stitch snapped and the creature bleated at a pitch he thought would rupture him. Eyes popped open along the full length of its torso. The legless fiend flew towards him with vine-line arms outstretched. He screamed when jagged shark-like teeth bared at him threatening to suction his soul. Before it could launch its teeth into him it vanished into air.

“That vile beast doth lack in manners,” the Angel of Death spat wafting the air with his hand. Without his hood he looked oddly human. It made Tao do a double take. Knowing that the Death Angel had kind of saved him made him look upon the short man with a strange fondness.

“What was that?” Tao asked curiously.

“The Grim Reaper. I doth apologize for the inconvenience. It is but a brute that knows no charm. It comes for the scent of the death, and pardon me but, thou doth still be ‘fresh.’”

He didn’t get it but he nodded in agreement anyway. His conversation with the little man was shortened when Seryung began to plea for him to wake up. There was nothing he could do, but watch her with tears swimming in his eyes.

“I don’t want to die,” he informed the angel. “I need to stay with her.”

“A selfish request.”

“I can’t leave her like this. She’ll spend her life blaming herself.”

“Becoming selfless, do go on.”

“I can’t do that, not to her. I can’t…”

The Angel of Death said nothing. It was about here, that most people begged for their lives as if they hadn’t seen a full day’s end.

“Can you make me visible to her? I just want to say a few words, that’s all. Then I’ll go with you.”

Starting a new countdown, Kyungsoo arched a brow before dematerializing.

It was then, that the door burst open to make Tao speechless. Maybe he wasn’t taking death seriously; he’d never expected to see his parents. They too were pale almost as much as his ghostly self. His parents were followed by Hana’s.

Seryung was kicked out of his room. He was selfish enough to stalk her because out of all people he worried for her the most. His parents had each other but she was alone and in a daze and that was logic enough for him. She didn’t protest but wiped her face and practiced her smile before entering another hospital room.

He was surprised to see Jongin and Sehun peeling oranges. Their hushed tones silenced as they witnessed her come in. It made Tao frown because he sensed a conspiracy.

“How’s Tao?” Sehun croaked handing his sister a peeled orange. She took it and separated it. “Still asleep. Hana?”

“Still in surgery,” Sehun sighed. His sister tapped him lightly and popped an orange into his mouth.

“Yah, what about me? I’m injured too!” Jongin protested lightly with a grin. Tao frowned when she fed him. He understood why she nursed Sehun, but Jongin was another matter. Even if the boy was wheelchair bound, his arms were perfectly apt. Tao sat beside Jongin and glared a hole into the side of his head.

“What do we do now?” Seryung queried. “What are the two of you planning?”

“Something that doesn’t involve you,” Jongin remarked seriously. She looked to her brother for an delineation, but Sehun nodded in agreement with his friend.

“Why not? I’m more able bodied! Just look at the state of you. You can’t-“

“We’re planning a visit to the Blue House; Seo Kangjun will be there,” Jongin informed. “We’ll be having a nice chat over coffee. Might even exchange a few blows if we’re in the mood.”

Seryung clenched her fists. “I’m coming too,” she insisted.

“No,” Sehun declared. “You’re staying here. Keep a look out for Tao until he wakes up. Jongin you watch Hana. I’ll go.”

Jongin tapped his chin. “You’re taking away all the fun. I’d rather break his porcelain face.”

“You’re on a wheelchair.”

“Says the guy on crutches.”

Seryung rolled her eyes as they argued.

Tao heaved a sigh when she didn’t join the debate. He learnt new things just by listening. It all seemed so far-fetched and elaborate but he hated Seo Kangjun for starting things and casting a shadow of sorrow behind Seryung’s eyes. With her, he went to outside the operation theatre. He discovered that the Oh’s were not allowed to visit him, or Hana for that matter. Supposedly the blame was being cast on them. Ghost Tao did his very best to follow his favorite person whether it was to the roof where she gazed at the sky to talk to him. Or whether it was the stairs where she cried, or whether it was the garden where she depended on plucking petals for an outcome, or whether she climbed two steps at a time in exchange for keeping he and Hana alive; he was with her when she did all the silly things that made him waver.

-

 

Sehun eyed the exquisite surroundings ignominiously. It no longer gleamed with splendor but instead reeked of lies, blood and money. To Sehun it felt like he’d walked into the devil’s den on his own two feet and was breathing demoralized air.

 

“What exactly do you want?” The President asked him with her back to him. “Do you want to get into a SKY University? If that is the case, consider it done. It will be provided for both you and your sister. I also offer a luxurious wedding for yourself and Miss Kim.”

 

Sehun bunched his fists. “Stop making me feel dirty.”

 

“Politics is all about cunningness and bribery. You should stop the chivalrous act before something bad happens to your friends in hospital.” She spoke with such grace as if she were admiring scenery in her honeyed tone. It made bile rise into Sehun’s throat.

 

“You’ll kill more innocent people? Were the last few not enough? Don’t you care what your son thinks?”

 

“Kangjun knows the ways of the world.”

 

“What if I say, I know something that might throw him over the edge?” Sehun swallowed. He sounded braver than he felt in the predator’s home. The monster was trying to tie him back by threatening his heart, Hana; his head, Seryung; his limbs, Tao; and his confidence, Jongin. If they were attacked he would lose fatally.

 

“Is that a threat?”

 

“Your precious son knows what he did wrong. He might even be regretting it. What will he think when he finds out Miyoung’s death was your fault?”

 

“I can handle my son. You on the other hand should watch your step if you want to protect the ones you love.”

 

“Right about now, there should be some interesting news spreading across the Internet about a certain school for the privileged; about a death that was kept secret. I’ll be waiting to see what you will do about it,” Sehun revealed.

 

“Yang Jinsung, that child? What of her?”

 

“You’ll get caught. And even if you escape, do you think this it will end? Someone else will come after you because the truth will always come out.”

 

The President laughed humorlessly. “You want to challenge me? Okay, let’s try it.”

 

-

 

Hana tightened her fists. Her whole being was telling her to ‘stop’ and ‘run’ and ‘hide.’ However she was done running. She was done with everything. Her head hurt and her heart was heavy. Each passing day was a trudge because Tao wasn’t waking up. Sehun had mentioned nothing of what he knew but Jongin had revealed everything to her without his knowledge. In the end things came back to Seo Kangjun. He was responsible for it all. She hated him with a burning passion. She wanted nothing more than his death.

 

Seo Kangjun arrived exactly at the time she’d asked to meet him. He wore a rather amused expression not really suited for the occasion. Hana took a deep breath to fill her lungs with courage.

 

“You wanted to see me?” He tilted his head curiously as if she were an alien species. She nodded, playing along to his game. Her eyes never left him even when she looked away he was there like prey.

 

“What do you want?”

 

“I want those videos of Sehun hitting you gone.” Videos had gone viral and warped peoples judgment of Sehun. He’d been expelled from school for violence that had happened outside of school. His parents were at risk of losing their jobs. Rumors called him the ‘school bully.’ It pained her more than her stitches.

 

“I think you’re missing the point. I’m the victim here.”

 

“You’re no victim. It was a fist-fight not a beating so don’t play the victim card, you coward.”

 

Kangjun wrinkled his nose. Ignoring her, he walked to the end of the roof and rested his arms against the wall. “You brought a knife,” he condemned scathingly.

 

“Did you plan to kill me?”

 

“I did.”

 

“Oh?”

 

To her horror he turned around and spread out his arms with a wicked smile on his face. “Then try it,” he goaded with a snarl. She frowned trying not to let her surprise show on her face. Taking out the knife, she pointed it at him valiantly.

 

His countenance didn’t change. He gave her a bored look as if she were a fly buzzing uselessly; it angered her when he didn’t take her seriously. She was counting reasons to finish him off. There were plenty and no one would miss him when he was gone not even his ‘friends.’ He was a puppet figure with nothing of his own. Sure she would get caught, but the world would never see him again.

 

Her dark thoughts called the Angel of Darkness. He appeared behind her and was surprised to see a Guardian Angel at her side. No pleasantries were exchanged between them, as the situation was much to grave. Contrasting each other, they stood side by side and watched evil notions grow.

 

“I don’t think I want to die yet though,” Kangjun pretended to speak his thoughts aloud. “I think I want to see Oh Sehun suffer a bit more. He’s already been expelled. I’m waiting for a prison sentence where he gets tried for that student’s death. I imagine they’ll call him a ‘psychopath.’ Serves him right really. He doesn’t know his place.” His sarcastic flow of words purposely ignited the flames of darkness.

 

He knew that she was unaware of how unmatched they were when she tried to stab him. He caught her wrist in midair and snickered at her shock. “Isn’t this romantic?” She felt her skin burn upon contact. Emitting a scream she dared to kick him hitting his shin. It was as if he’d expected it because he twisted her arm behind her back.

 

“If you were looking for a fight you should have deduced your opponent first,” he advised. It might have been charming to break her arm, however letting her go, to see what she did next, was much more interesting. What he was seeing right now was something he’d created. A monster built on rage with a murderous intent; she would scrap with him until there was nothing left inside her.

 

The Angel of Darkness eyed the new angel suspiciously. The man was not doing his job properly. In fact he wasn’t even supposed to be here. Instead of interrogating, he let his stance be known through scrutiny. The angel was far too young to be ‘verifying facts.’ To think Yifan would have to work with such a runt was impossible. This was their first run in and already he could feel dislike. It was troublesome that Yixing was busy elsewhere; the Angel of Darkness missed his twin and his celestial yammering. Deeds of darkness always made Healing’s feathers curl, whereas Yifan had become indifferent to it all. Even the new angel was shocked by the results. They never really bothered Yifan. He had seen too many dreadful things occur too often a time. ‘Murder’ was nothing new.

 

-

 

For the sake of privacy there shall be no mention of names. Articles and headlines, are as follows:

 

‘President’s beloved son found dead.’

‘Bullying taken too far.’

‘When suicide seems like an answer.’

 

‘Bully ‘A’ is questioned.’

‘’A,’ a murderer?’

‘An artificial suicide?’

‘Painting suicide?’

‘A coldblooded killer.’

‘Bully becomes murderer.’

‘’A’ to stand trial for manslaughter.’

 

‘High-school student, ‘B,’ tested for drugs.’

‘’B’ tested positive for drugs.’

‘’B’ rumored to have been drugged against will.’

 

‘’A,’ ‘psychopath’ living amongst us?’

 

‘A’s engagement is broken.’

 

‘A’s fiancée, ‘C,’ is a bully victim.’

 

‘Parents of ‘A’ fired.’

‘Never expect Filially.’

‘Parents of ‘A’ suffering from nervous breakdown.’

 

‘’A’ rumored to have murdered friend ‘X.’’

‘’A’ rumored to have murdered teacher.’

‘’A’ rumored to have been seeing another while with ‘C.’’

 

‘’A’ rumored to be a chaebol.’

‘Netizens lash out against ‘A.’’

‘Petitions for ‘A’s’ suicide are submitted to court.’

‘Memorial service to be held for Seo Kangjun.’

‘Student ‘Y’ (deceased) said to be ‘A’s’ hidden lover.’

 

‘’A’ convicted of drug possession.’

‘Narcotics found in ‘A’s’ bedroom.’

‘Did ‘A’ kill a high-school friend?’

 

‘President Seo steps down.’

‘Seo Kangjun: the romantic lover.’

‘Seo Kangjun kept diary of first love (deceased).’

‘21st century: Romeo and Juliet.’

‘A’s school closes.’

‘A’s school rumored to be haunted.’

 

‘Classmates of ‘A’ cry, ‘bully.’’

‘’A’ said to have tortured fellow students.’

‘Psychopath: intelligent but crazy.’

‘’A’ has outstanding IQ.’

‘’A’ an honors student.’

‘’A’ rumored to have been able to enter SKY?’

 

‘’A’ convicted for manslaughter; ex-President sheds tears.’

‘’A’s’ fan club shuts down after conviction.’

‘’A’ sentenced 5 years.’

 

‘’A’ was a sasaeng?’

‘‘A’ murdered Ms. Yoon after rejection?’

‘Ms. Yoon’s death; the horrific tragedy.’

‘Parents of O.S. file lawsuit for slander.’

‘Reinvestigation of Ms. Yoon and O.S.’s relationship.’

‘Narcotics ring crack down.’

 

‘Ex-President Seo and bribery.’

‘Ms. Seo falls ill; court withheld.’

‘Court summons recuperating Ms. Seo.’

‘Ms. Seo quietly arrives in South Korea.’

‘Ms. Seo denies bribery allegations.’

‘Ms. Seo charged for granting bribes.’

 

-

 

[FLASH FORWARD]

 

After seven years of seclusion from the outer world, Sehun had grown accustomed to second questioning everything. A general mistrust of the higher-ups formed not long after he was locked in prison for a crime he’d never committed. He had never claimed to be guilty for anything other than Seo Kangjun’s death. It had unfortunately functioned as a catalyst and him into one of the harshest prisons in the country, a place where he’d grown up after failing to complete his final year of high school.

 

He stared at the patrol guard’s back. Now, if he were to ever talk about SKY he would get laughed at. Such was the cruel reality. The world was a ruthless place where not just anyone could survive. He knew many people who had failed to exist for very long, Seo Kangjun included. Sehun grinned at the thought. He considered Kangjun to be one of the most ‘admirable’ people out there. While he was nothing more than a snake, he’d managed to convince the world otherwise. He was nothing short of brilliance. The difference between Sehun and Kangjun was that one lived while the other had died. Sehun had rotted in a cell for crimes he didn’t commit wearing handcuffs, smoking in cells, taking beatings from guards, wearing the same unwashed clothes almost everyday, sharing rooms with dirty people, sneaking a glimpse at magazines, eating ‘rubber’ prison food, showering in cold water, stealing a computer whenever possible and just surviving like a rat.

 

‘Not anymore.’

 

 He was free to leave. The idea scared him more than anything. What was freakier was that this place had become a home and leaving it seemed horrifying. Sehun smirked, at least now he would be able to smoke and drink whenever he wanted without restrictions; he was a free man.

 

The sunlight almost blinded him. It felt weird to experience it. He was a vampire shrinking away after so long. Looking back it wasn’t a completely horrible experience. When his handcuffs came off he felt , in a good way. Rubbing his wrists he yawned and demanded a cigarette from a guard. Lady luck must have been on his side because he was granted his demand. Looking around, he was quick to notice no one had come to greet him. Puffing his smoke, he was glad he wouldn’t have to face anyone. Strolling along without a care seemed fun. As he walked he noted all the changes that’d occurred in his absence. Seoul had changed dramatically in the last few years. So had he, come to think of it. “F***in’ evolution,” he muttered bitterly.

 

Around him were tall buildings showing ads of pretty boys in sparkling pants, fluttering around a stage like butterflies. They had too much makeup, and they made Sehun roll his eyes. He wondered how much exercise it would take to enter a screen like that; he’d never tried. His fingers itched as a habit began to take wing.

 

-

 

Hana grit her teeth and fired, missing every target.

 

“Yah, Kim Hana! It doesn’t matter if you’re a criminal psychologist-“

 

She reloaded the gun not intending to miss the next round. This type of thing was needed to let of steam. She was furious for managing to miss Oh Sehun. At the last minute she was grappled by the ankles and chained to work like an estranged lover. When she’d finally arrived he was nowhere to be found. Not even after hours of driving did she find him. It was vexing as it was, and now ‘the supervisor’ was giving her ‘lessons’ by running his mouth.

 

She pointed the gun at him before he could say ‘NIS’ again. It shut him up quite nicely but she shot a warning for added effect making him jump. Surely firing at random would get her into trouble. Perhaps they would send her on a mini vacation to let her sort out her temper? It would give her time to look for Sehun.

 

“I thought you were gonna kill me! Yah, Kim Hana, how can you trample on my heart this way?”

 

Hana ignored him and quickened her pace. It only made him chase faster as he droned on about things she didn’t really care for. “Can you shut up? I need to think.” Her eye caught another comrade’s and her face broke into a smile. She waved at him, glad that someone useful had found her.

 

“Sehun?” She asked praying he could solve all her headaches at once.

 

“-Is somewhere playing hide and seek.”

 

“But you can find him right? You’re good at this stuff.” She pressed poking his arm playfully.

 

“Yah, stop that! We’re not close enough for skinship.”

 

“You call this ‘skinship?’” She chuckled as they made their way to her sector.

 

He leaned against the wall and peered down at her. “You busy?” He questioned and she nodded with a sigh making him click his tongue.

 

“No worries. I’ll nab him before anyone else does.”

 

“Thank you, Jongin oppa.”

 

-

 

Sehun was chilling in a PC room. He grimaced at what he had to do to get into it. The bitterness was short lived, because now he could do what he wanted, and first on his agenda was a catch up of the news. There was never really anything interesting but he read each article anyway from the most banal to the somewhat useful ones.

 

The one-hour he signed up for ended like that and he was left back on the street wondering whom to er next. If he had a conscience he might have felt bad about it, but jail took away any forms of innocence and the military hardened his heart; he could have been a machine. Hoodwinking was as simple as dropping a wink and batting an eyelash. If he was lucky one thing would lead to another and he’d have enough cash to survive on for the next day. It really was that easy. It made him wonder what use college really was. He was raking Won without it.

 

One day, he bumped into a journalist who claimed to be his ‘fan.’ Sehun thought the guy was a downright idiot, but of course he didn’t express that view, not when he could be treated to a free meal.

 

Finding delicious food was his biggest challenge in the big wide world, and he killed for anything meat. His fan had splurged on his account. It made Sehun feel bad until the aroma of samgyeopsal reached his nostrils and made his stomach rumble. After that he ate as much as he could, devouring all, while giving answers to random interview questions.

 

“So any plans for college?”

 

Sehun flinched and shook his head, sticking a spoonful of soup into his mouth. It tasted like vomit now that the ‘C’ word had been mentioned. He cringed not wanting to waste good food. He wondered if his good fan would let him pack it, and take it with him. Nights of wine on an empty stomach didn’t go down well with him.

 

“Why not?” The fan wanted to know the answer to the ‘C’ word.

 

“Because…” Sehun wondered how to say it nicely and figured there was no other way other than the truth. “No college wants a f***in’ killer. Plus where the f*** am I meant to get the f***in’ money to pay for it, if they f***in’ accept me?”

 

The fan scratched his chin. “I will fund you if you choose to go. In return you’ve got to stay in touch and stop being evasive.”

 

Sehun gulped the remaining soju left in his bottle. “Buy me a pack of cigarettes, and I’ll think about it.”

 

The fan sighed and placed a hand on Sehun’s thigh. He squeezed it making Sehun squirm uncomfortably. “Do you fancy me or something?”

 

The guy smacked him. “No, you idiot! It’s just that, I haven’t seen you in years, and I want to know if you’ll be okay cuz I feel partially responsible for the way things turned out.”

 

“The f*** are you man?” Sehun’s voice rose indignantly.

 

The fan sighed and removed his hood and glasses. Sehun almost peed his pants before greeting him with an informal hug.

 

“No, I am not buying you smokes because your lungs will start to die, and I don’t wanna waste money on lung cancer treatment. We’re not close enough for me to fund your addictions.”

 

“Fine you b*****d, be like that,” he stated, stealing Jongin’s bottle of soju. “So, how are Seryung and Tao? Are they still a thing or did they break up? What’s the story on ‘em?”

 

Jongin swooshed his drink in his glass before raising it to his lips and smacking the glass onto the table. “They’re married,” he muttered gloomily.

 

Sehun’s eyes widened. “Since when?”

 

“Since forever. They even have twelve kids. Those brats drive everyone mental.”

 

“Don’t pull my leg,” Sehun drawled shaking his finger.

 

Jongin laughed clapping his hands together at his own joke. “Those two are a married couple like any other,” he elucidated somewhat truthfully.

 

-

 

Seryung’s nostrils flared. She bent the top of her pen with her thumb, cleanly breaking it in half. Some random young chick was running fingers through her husband’s hair.

 

‘That dirty cheater got caught dead in the act,’ she thought, as black ink laced her fury.

 

Tao was shushing the young woman seductively, and if Seryung didn’t know any better she reckoned he was enjoying it. Her ears were red with rage while her face colored with embarrassment. What were they doing in the middle of a busy place? She slammed a fork against the table before storming out of the club; she needed to be somewhere.