Arranged Marriage?

Everlasting Impressions

The Oh family had been enjoying their dinner until a bomb was unexpectedly dropped. Sehun and Seryung stared at their parents with wide eyes. She dropped her chopsticks among the confusion whereas he only gripped his tighter until his knuckles turned white.

 

Seryung calculated many possibilities but the resulting conclusion:  'They're only in high school!' Of course Seryung knew better than to voice this opinion. She stared at her plate because her dinner had become unappetizing. She turned towards her brother who was reacting harsher than he should have. She watched his expression fluctuate until it became murky.

 

They - being their parents - had strictly said 'after college' but Sehun had only heard 'marriage' and it was enough to send him on hunger strike. Coolly he replaced his chopsticks beside his bowl and stared into it not seeing anything but trying to cognize what had just happened.

 

She was 'Kim Hana.' Neither sibling was familiar with the name. Sehun waited for a further explanation. His sister had abandoned her food and although Sehun wanted to do the same, he had been planning to revise his textbook and hence couldn't afford to deplete his energy level. Reluctantly, he picked up his chopsticks and resumed eating.

 

The confused atmosphere at the dinner table faltered as Seryung bellowed with laughter. “Arranged marriage?” She echoed her brother’s earlier words.

“With this idiot?” She pointed at her brother who looked disgruntled at having his younger sister speak to him impolitely. He was older than her, be it a year. He was clearly the elder child and didn't resonate well when being spoken down to.

 

“Seryung mind your tongue,” their mother admonished while their father laughed with her good-naturedly.

 

Sehun’s expression illustrated his displeasure at being talked down. He attempted a good kick aimed for his sister while she continued to make fun of him.

 

“Are we sure this guy will be able to take care of a wife, when he can barely take care of that dying plant in his room? OUCH!” Seryung dropped her fork as Sehun's foot struck her leg.

 

It didn’t hurt of course, Sehun wouldn’t hurt his sister regardless of how much she irked him, but that never stopped her from over reacting. He smirked ever so slightly, to avoid any evidence that would render him guilty of the crime.

 

Their parents watched with half amused expressions. It was true that the siblings never argued for too long and when they did it was usually over trivial matters. Hence Mr. & Mrs. Oh never thought to interfere because Sehun and Seryung would automatically go back to their amicable nature. It was both a blessing and a curse to see them so close.

 

Like any other brother-sister pairing the two had initially been wary of one another, playing alone and away from each other, watching, waiting to see which sibling was truly loved by their parents.

 

This changed when Seryung had begun school and had one day refused to attend claiming she was seeing a ghost. She had complained and cried and had become antisocial, only speaking when spoken to and never meeting anyone’s eyes. It was around this time that Sehun had discovered what being a brother meant. He had taken care of his sister, listening to her stories, giving her advice, and consoling her as best as he could. Somewhere in the middle they'd become friends.

 

Then followed the reason why Mr. & Mrs. Oh were planning to have their son wed. The boy showed absolutely zero interest in dating. They knew why too. It was due to that incident but regardless of gravity they wanted their son to date like any other teenage boy. He lacked nothing from looks to grades ergo his persona was a little strange but they knew he had a soft streak inside him. They didn't want their son to grow old on his own and despite his age they truly believed they'd made the right decision.

 

According to them their decision was anything but irrational. They had known Mr. & Mrs. Kim, a pleasant couple who had a single daughter, for a very long time. Hana, was her name and Hana was the perfect candidate out of all the families Mr. and Mrs. Oh knew. She was a meek child who was polite and well mannered. She was petite and sweet in her nature. She was cultured and refined. She would surely turn Oh Sehun's strange habit around.

 

He choked on his rice after Seryung retaliated with a swift painful kick of her own. Their parents on-looked as a quarrel broke out, it was as loud as gunfire yet Mr. and Mrs. Oh remained unaffected. The disturbed atmosphere, at the dinner table slowly reverted back to its initial state with the continuation of the siblings banter.

 

-

 

Kim Hana was the typical timid, polite, and shy girl. Her grades never soared high enough to catch her classmates’ interest but rather stayed at a serene average. And so Kim Hana thought she was destined to be average -- camouflaged between those who lacked manners and those who effortlessly attained top scores -- with her average circle of ‘friends’ and average background.

 

Even her appearance was average, so very unlike the elite beauties and the unruly ruffians. Kim Hana was in a class of her own with her not-so-big almond eyes, common double eyelids, a forehead she feared was overly large, a button nose that her classmates identified as unnatural, thin cheeks that mistakenly gave her face an almost oval faced look. As for her complexion, it was pale (a genetic trait common amongst her family). All this was paired with a docile monotonous voice that helped cloud her among the masses of students.

 

Kim Hana took her seat among the boisterous cluster of students who were cherishing the last moments of freedom before the teacher arrived to demand attention and plunge them into a world of mediocre knowledge that was to somehow enhance their social standing on the path of life.

 

‘Oh Sehun,’ She mused carefully, mustering a shy smile. Her elbow leaned gently on the table as her chin dipped into the cup of her hand. The very idea of marrying him brought a modest tint into her cheeks. This was the very same Oh Sehun that all the girls desired but none could really enthrall for more than a humble week.

 

Oh Sehun was everything Hana wasn’t. He was tall and stoic upon first glance but then came the genuine smile he would rarely flash at his friends. That smile lit his features in a compelling way. His lips would part open to reveal a glowing set of teeth. His mouth would rise lifting his cheeks in a way that would make one question whether his face was ever without an expression. His eyes would crease forming two crescent moons of mirth, and the ring of laughter he sometimes emitted could draw the attention of even the most sardonic students.

 

Hana didn't expect Mr. & Mrs. Oh to be the parent's of that Oh Sehun. For one they looked nothing alike upon first inspection. Although if one paid close attention they would discover that he and Seryung had indeed won the genetic lottery by receiving the better features from each parent.

 

Hana swooned at the image of Sehun's blissful smile. She wondered when she’d formally meet him. As for the marriage proposal, she’d said 'yes' but now wondered whether her decision was made too hastily. She’d known Oh Sehun for as long as the rest of the school’s population. He however, didn’t know her! She was too average to try and speak to him. She bit her lip at the idea of acting so boldly and out of character.

 

The girls that approached Sehun were normally not the shy ones. The shy ones would admire him from afar and feel that tingling sensation whenever he was to breeze past them.

 

Kim Hana’s thoughts were fragmented by the teacher’s abrupt entrance. The students hurriedly shuffled to their seats as the teacher called for attention and so began their decent into the realm of passive learning.

-

'Kim Hana… Kim Hana… Kim Hana… Which Kim Hana?’ Oh Seryung drummed her forehead in frustration. The school was filled with Kim Hanas. It was such a common name to have! On her way to her classroom she’d stopped and talked to plenty of Kim Hana’s careful not to leave any traces of a possible marriage proposal in their ears.

 

Seryung sighed and kicked the air from where she sat. 'Kim Hana,' was a boring topic. She decided to put the topic at the back of her mind until her lessons ended. She’d have to interrogate the rest of them when the bell rang to deliver their freedom. Until then she had to focus her concentration on the educational speech the teacher was giving. She wasn’t going to fall behind in class because of a Kim Hana she didn’t know and the effort of catching up outside of class hours made her brain churn. No, it was better to focus her attention now than having to suffer those extra hours!

 

-

 

Oh Sehun groaned inwardly. He couldn’t concentrate. Not one bit! If it wasn’t bad enough that his parents had dropped the marriage bomb on him, now as a result his brain was failing to capture what the teacher was describing. He twirled his pen around his fingers in annoyance.

 

‘Stupid. Bad. Luck. Marriage.’ His brain chanted. He’d have to ask for someone's notes later. A wicked smirk settled itself onto his face as a memory resurfaced. His pen came to a halt as he remembered the curse. How he'd ended up with such a thing was as incredulous as it's existence.

 

It had begun when his classmates had taken an interest in him. They wanted to please him and become friends with him. They hung on each of his words. His words became law and his actions were mimicked. He’d become a shepherd to sheep he’d never wanted because Sehun had always been reserved in nature.

 

He'd been selective when choosing friends and when his sister had become ill he'd dropped them too because there had been no time to cater to everyone. Most of his friendships had drifted to nonchalant nods and withered. Perhaps it was because he was so high up on the school’s social caliber, that despite not being related to the country’s wealthiest, he was just admired.

 

It was after the time he'd been a lone wolf that a fan club surfaced. It was a ludicrous idea yet many people joined. He wasn't even a celebrity yet the club increased in members until Sehun had been invited to meet with the students of the glass room. They called themselves ‘The Majestic Four’ (M4) as if it were a title to be praised. Rumor had it they even had attendants' in their classrooms, such a luxury was something hi could never adorn.

 

The M4 had frowned at him and had scoffed at everything that made Sehun, Sehun. They gave him a ‘status’ and his fans had cheered upon finding out. It was horrifying to see people beg for his help when dealing with their ordeals as if he were some kind of messiah.

 

He'd taken four steps back, into his shell, not wanting to do anything with the school hierarchy. Although they'd made him a part of it, he'd never wanted it. He'd refused it. He'd even sabotaged his own fan club more than once. Still, there was something about him that made people like him but he'd done nothing to allow it.

 

From there onwards he kept his distance and was careful with his actions. He tried to be invisible but it just never worked…

 

A single action from him could cause the class balance to fluctuate. Someone he talked to could instantly become 'cool' within a matter of seconds. That person would see their popularity soar.

 

The smirk became deeper as he recalled his innocent school days:

 

“Ms. Lee you wanted to see me?” asked a more introverted Sehun.

 

Ms. Lee’s judging eyes examined him thoroughly from under the thick frame of glasses that were far too big for her mousy face that some deemed attractive. “Yes I did. Oh Sehun, right?”

 

He nodded feeling self-conscious. She had bothered to learn his name! For the eight years she’d worked at the school it was rumored that she didn’t bother with student names. Yet this same teacher had identified him, Oh Sehun! Instead of feeling honored his sinking stomach was warning him.

 

“Oh Sehun I’d like if you kept your distance from other students. I’ve noticed that they act strange after you say something to them. The class president’s grades fell down. That sweet little boy now goes around shooting flirtatious lines at everyone. A little child who was formerly an outcast now has friends. And another student had to transfer schools because you once called her 'ugly.' Am I correct?” She blinked her long lashes at him for confirmation.

 

Sehun nodded slowly, he remembered the class president warily. After he’d asked to borrow his notes the guy had pulled a 180 within the span of a few days almost becoming popular. It was one scary transformation!

 

“Sehun, I think you should keep your distance. That’s not to say I’m forbidding you from making friends, but you know, just don’t talk to them too much,” she clarified phrasing her words carefully.

 

Sehun offered her a lopsided smirk. His facial muscles had just reflexed that way on their own accord. The teacher who he had had a crush on for the longest time had just told him to isolate himself from his classmates. It was ironic. He couldn’t recall why he liked her because her presence was making his throat burn.

 

The very lopsided smirk resurfaced onto his features making them gleam chillingly. Any recollection of Ms. Lee always brought a terrifying grin to his face. His fist curled over a photograph, scrunching it until its image was no longer identifiable on the photo. The girl in the picture had already etched itself into his mind. 'Kim Hana, I'll teach you not to mess with me.'

 

Sehun pocketed the crumpled photo. She was nothing as his parent's had described. To Sehun she was someone who was ruining his life with her mere existence.

 

He hadn't planned to attend college with the idea of marrying a useless girl. He'd wanted to wait until he was employed with a decent salary before settling down. Choosing a girl would have been easy. They threw themselves at him without him even having to say a word. There would have been no problem in getting married but somehow his parent's had other ideas.

 

Sehun grimaced, in truth he never wanted to get married. He'd lost his first love and after such a thing he wanted nothing to do with the female population. The wound in his heart was still tender after many years and he knew it was something that would never heal. Even if his lavender plant were to die someday, he would never let go of the memories and he certainly wouldn't let any random girl think she could weave her way into his life.

 

Sehun would let Hana know how he felt about marrying her. How dare she try to snake her way to his parents?! Over the years, he'd seen girls do the craziest things to catch his attention but this one had the guts to make her way to his parents. It was crooked and unforgivable! She was asking for too much and Sehun would never provide for her. She'd dared to spoil the life he'd paved for himself.


 

*kingka - 'the school's hottie' (male) who everyone would kill to be close to. Female equiv. 'queenka.'

**chaebol - usually a business conglomerate. In my fic I'm calling all the rich kids 'chaebols.'

***wangta - social outcast and a victim of school bullying. Everyone in school targets the wangta.