Backtracking Forward

Everlasting Impressions

Seo Kangjun ruffled his morning hair. He squinted his eyes and brought a cup of coffee to his lips. The sun still rose as it did every morning and he couldn’t understand how. The day felt morbidly depressing yet the sun still came, the skies were clear and there would be no chance of rain.

 

He swallowed back the black coffee. It was the only thing that could keep him running through the day. School, interviews, television appearances, conferences and possibly an event or two, he had to juggle all that on a daily basis. There was no time to catch his breath, he was always left exhausted by the end. He didn’t mind it, he enjoyed helping his mother and the people he’d meet were always welcoming and friendly.

 

Today however, a dark cloud hung over his head. He’d just found out that the world he’d been living was unjust. Everything was dirty. It made him feel dirty. It made his skin crawl.

 

He opted to take another morning shower.

 

Letting the water run over his head, he wished he could be cleansed completely. He closed his eyes and thought. Everything was tainted, not was, it always had been, he was just noticing now. When kids at school had been bullied he’d never thought much of it, he’d always cast a blind eye but he’d never approved of it. He’d just never had the time to step in, it had never been as bad. Kangjun smiled, it had always been bad, he was only noticing it because it had happened to Oh Seryung.

 

He’d asked them to stop it. He’d told them he would be watching. The trio had been left dumbfounded but he knew that to be their reaction regarding everything he did. He knew they didn’t like him. They just pretended to. He was the president’s son after all. He lived in the Blue House. Who wouldn’t want to be friends with him? Who didn’t want the benefits that came attached with his name and title?

 

So then why did he feel so useless?

 

He had all that power. He should have been content. He was strong, but not as strong as the president.

 

Kangjun frowned, reminded of his mother. He didn’t understand why she’d done it. He’d accidently uncovered a murder on school grounds! He’d thought the teacher would be punished and reform would be brought about, but no. His mother had stopped it. There was no news. Nothing. Everything had been silenced. Someone had died. Someone had been buried under the basement floor. The killer had been identified. Nothing had happened.

 

He felt ashamed. The blood in his veins was tainted. There was nothing he could do except live.

 

He opened his eyes, wondering if anyone would be willing to stand up to the president. It seemed like an ludicrous feat.

 

His school was one of the most prestigious schools in the country. It was where the sons and daughter of conglomerates, as well as highly ranked government officials, attended. For such a crime to take place in such a school, was blasphemous. They were trying to cover it up. The teacher had been fired. Kangjun didn’t know the details but he’d overhead them talk about hallucinations brought about by drug abuse.

 

He wasn’t allowed to speak about it; no one was. It was almost as if nothing had happened. Not even a prison sentence. Nothing. It made him wonder if justice had ever existed.

 

-

 

Seryung spotted the bandage on Sehun’s arm. It peeped at her through his sleeve and made her frown first thing in the morning. She wondered what’d happened to him, but expected he wouldn’t tell. At least, not until she asked him. She pondered how to approach the subject. Sehun was touchy about these things. He would snap if he felt someone was prying where he didn’t want them.

 

Still, that didn’t mean she would turn a blind eye. They were finally speaking to each other, although it was awkward. Seryung had avoided asking about the date knowing it had to have gone well for him to hum to himself. It was peculiar! He’d never hummed before. Clearly, he was overjoyed.

 

He sat opposite her not engaging in conversation. His eyes were distant too, and she didn’t need a mind reader to tell her he was thinking of Hana. Would he become aloof from now on? Seryung didn’t like the notion of that.

 

She pursed her lips. Normally, she would have nudged him from under the table, but that was proving difficult. She sighed at herself thinking she was transforming into a different person. Since when had it been hard to talk to him? She used to be able to tell him everything from A-Z and now she was hesitating! Their recent squabble had done more damage than she’d liked.

 

“Something wrong?” Sehun queried meeting her gaze.

 

Seryung nodded, “Probably.”

 

“Probably?”

 

“Probably.”

 

Sehun massaged his temples. Was she not going to tell him what was bothering her? Something wasn’t right, but she wouldn’t tell him. When had she started doing that? He tried to recall, however there was no answer.

 

“Are you still mad at me?” He questioned. Perhaps that was it. He would know the result from reading her expression.

 

Seryung shook her head. “Not at you, no.”

 

“Then who?”

 

“Everyone else.”

 

“Are you going to elaborate today, maybe?”

 

Seryung snorted and leveled her stare. So he was still her brother, even if he was dating? A smile threatened to burst. She her press her lips together to contain it, and nodded vehemently making him shake his head at her.

 

“I hate school,” Seryung declared. There was no reason to elucidate her statement. Sehun knew what she meant because he nodded gravely.

 

“I would to.”

 

“I’m going to get revenge.”

 

Sehun cringed. Vengeance at the hands of Seryung just sounded nasty. He didn’t wish to know anymore.

 

“Don’t get caught.” He warned. A smile played at his lips as he imagined the confusion, that would sprout after her stunt. He might have tried to convince her otherwise, but he too was becoming weary of the ordeals. The only way to make them permanently stop bullying her, was to let her do this. Whatever ‘this’ was.

 

“You’re not going to help?”

 

“Should I?”

 

“Hm… No, I don’t think you need to.”

 

“Then why ask?”

 

“I wanted to know what you’d say.”

 

Sehun sighed. So she was testing him too. That meant she didn’t trust him completely. He had a rough idea as to why. He wished he could fix things. No amount of glue could fix the mess they were in. Where had it all begun?

 

Maybe it had started the day they were born. The society they lived in was no good either. He wondered what direction the world was headed. Were people born senseless and detached, or did they become that way through their environment and culture?

 

“Oppa, I think I might confess to Tao.”

 

“It’s about time.”

 

“No! That’s not what you’re meant to say. You’re meant to dissuade me.”

 

“He likes you too. It shows.” Sehun offered. The breakfast before him didn’t seem appetizing anymore. What was she afraid of?

Seryung clicked her tongue. She’d tossed and turned all night because of this. It was all Tao’s fault! Who did he think he was to infiltrate her heart, and then act cool? He wasn’t playing fair. He was cheating! She didn’t know what he was thinking.

 

Even if Sehun were to tell her a million times, she would still doubt it. Tao would reject her. Something told her that. However, she wasn’t prepared for heartbreak. And this is where the cycle began again. To confess, or not to confess, that was the question!

 

“Just tell him. At least you won’t be able to say you didn’t try.”

 

She bobbed her head absentmindedly, then pointed to his arm.

 

“You got hurt. Is it bad?” She wanted to know what had happened to him. If he told her, she would confess. If not then she would digress from that idea.

 

Sehun blinked. “Not really. Just a bit sore, but I’ll live.”

 

“What happened?”

 

“Dokbokki spill.”

 

It was Seryung’s turn to blink, she did so multiple times, before her jaw dropped. “You scalded yourself?”

 

“I’m fine.”

 

Seryung wanted to protest, but zipped . She implored him with her eyes, but he looked away.

 

“You’re sure, you’re fine?” She asked cautiously as if she was trekking on thin ice.

 

“Hurry up. We’ll be late for school.” Sehun declared. He stood up from his seat, and he grabbed his bag.

 

Seryung decided not to interrogate him further. He was always like that. He hated when someone fussed over him, and she wasn’t going to push it.

 

-

 

“We should tell them.”

 

“No.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“Wait just a little while longer.”

 

“What if Sehun finds out?”

 

Tao clicked his tongue. “Sehun won’t find out if we don’t tell him.”

 

“Why do you keep putting it off?” Hana’s voice rose.

 

“I’m trying to figure stuff out. Right now you’re my shield. Once you’re out of the picture, how will I deal with Seryung.”

 

“You like her?” Hana perked up at this. He always had a hard time admitting it. Facts would remain facts though. His silence was only adding to his crime.

 

She clapped her hands together gleefully. “You like her! That’s why you don’t want to let Sehun know we’re cousins. You won’t be able to fool Seryung into thinking you ‘like’ me, if she knows the truth.

“Honestly, you should just tell her. It’s best for everyone.”

 

“I can’t.”

 

“Why not?”

 

Tao stared out of the limousine window. He rested his head against the glass pane. “Things aren’t that simple. I have to go back to China after finishing school here. Neither Seryung, or I can afford that kind of relationship.”

 

Hana exhaled slowly, her temper rising. “You’ll be happier if you date her. She likes you too. It’s so obvious.

“Why are you worried about that? That’s two years away. Think about it when the time comes.”

 

Tao snorted derisively. “If we date, and let our feelings expand, I won’t be able to let her go. What good will that do? We’ll get hurt in the end. It’ll pain more than it does now.”

 

Hana winced. The battle was a losing one, for her. She could pretend Tao was her ‘first love,’ but for how long? The cat would be let out of the bag eventually. If she couldn’t tell Sehun now, she had to think about what she would do if he ever caught on. If she tried to explain then, he would understand right? Probably not.

 

Would he think she’d toyed with him? Most likely. And, that was why the secret was weighing heavy on her shoulders.

 

Still, she couldn’t spill her guts. Not when her cousin was like this. She didn’t know what the best course of action was. She could only hope for everyone. Nothing was wrong with wishing. Hana wanted to help them, but she was aware that Tao couldn’t stay in Korea. He would have to leave in the end.

 

“How long have you loved her?”

 

“I don’t know, maybe forever?” He held his head in his hands. His thoughts were running wild, like a pack of dogs in a field.

 

She patted back sympathetically.

 

“I’ve liked her since she stood up for you. When I met her, I didn’t think she was the same person you talked about. She was so different to the impression I had in mind and then… I don’t know how it happened, but I fell for her.

“I love her.

“What do I do? I can’t afford to fall in love. I didn’t come here to fall in love, and with a rich girl at that. I can’t- no, we can’t be together.” Tao panicked.

 

Hana bit her lip. She couldn’t say she agreed with him. However, she wouldn’t force her ideals on him if he disagreed. That would tantalize him.

 

“Tao a deep breath, and don’t think about everything at once. One thing at a time.” Hana advised.

 

She decided to drop the subject, and instead pushed the footrest button to accommodate him. “You should give yourself a break. I recommend you lay off Wushu. Abuse your foot further, and you’ll end up with more than just a sprain.”
 




Between Kai, Suho and Kangjun, one of them is not going to be a second lead lol. So I've decided that I will spoil it for everyone and say that Kyung Soo is 'Sinister.' Sinisterly, diabolically handsome :D

If that wasn't a bad attempt at trolling I don't know what is. But who knows, Sinister could be anyone right? Lol, how about a simple spoiler saying that Sinister is indeed human? Or is he?

The President's son knows everything regarding Yang. He found out by accident. Sehun is writing a story about Yang. If they cross paths all should be well right? But, before everyone jumps in joy remember, that there's someone who doesn't want that to happen... Who is that? Sinister has been keeping off Sehun's back, and is only interested in Seryung's demise. There's a reason for that also, but he can change his tactics if he finds Sehun a threat. 
Question: Do you think Sehun has a definite get-out-of-jail-free card?

The Oh siblings are unfortunate. And what misfortune comes their way! This is not the time to be sociably inept guys! You need to put your super-minds together, and defeat all evil!

Get that revenge Seryung! Question: Is revenge morally just? It's not, but when do people follow the law in EI?

Who cares about ethics when she's gonna confess? Fess up everyone, all you readers have been waiting for this moment! The moment of chocolates and roses! Question: How will Tao respond to her? Can he bear to turn her down? Will he watch her cry?

Hana. Oh Hana. Oh dear Hana. Did she just blurt out a secret to the readers? She did indeed, and now everyone knows why Hana and Tao were never attracted to each other. I'm sorry guys but you've been trolled. I would never play 2nd lead with Tao. I don't play 2nd leads like k-dramas. I would rather listen to someone scratch a blackboard.

Hana just wants to protect everyone. Then there's Seryung who wants revenge. How different are they?

Tao, you need to get off your and stop playing Hamlet! 

Sehun, you should let your sister care about you!