Everland: Hologram

Everlasting Impressions

Seryung contemplated whether to call or text her brother. She’d been in no communication zone for so long and had been doing so well. She wasn’t sure how to talk to him now after making the resolve that she would never speak to him. As if by change Miyoung appeared next to Seryung as Seryung played with her phone.

 

“Sehun is coming!!!” Miyoung cheered clapping her hands, she expected Seryung to at least crack a smile but all she did was nod.

 

“Will you be joining them?” Miyoung asked and when Seryung didn’t reply Miyoung puffed out her cheeks and then added. “It’s probably the best way to keep an eye on Tao.”

 

Seryung eyed the ghost and wondered why she told Miyoung everything that was on her mind when the ghost was very good at manipulation.

 

“Can I come?” Miyoung asked suddenly excited by the thought of visiting an amusement park. Miyoung had never been to Everland before and when she thought about it she could have gone for free yet the ghost had never gone to visit an amusement park, not even the famous Lotte World. Miyoung frowned. She’d been doing things wrong for the past ten years!

 

“Neither Tao nor Hana invited you.” Seryung replied curtly hoping she could rid herself of the ghost while she was with company.

 

“Ziana can’t see me. If they could they would have definitely invited me too!”

 

Seryung paused her stride and turned to look give the ghost a horrified look, “’Ziana’ is something that should never be mentioned again. It sounds like a rash cream!”

 

“It could be a drug,” Miyoung said darkly without any trace of humor, she continued, “You should be careful and grab hold of your man!”

 

“I don’t have a man to grab hold of,” Seryung pointed sliding her phone into her pocket, glad she didn’t have to interact with Sehun for now. Seryung sighed, talking to her brother was proving to be difficult. She could only imagine what it would be like talking to a guy who was unrelated to her.

 

“I’m talking about Tao!” Miyoung fumed stomping her foot.

 

“I know who you were talking about but… If he doesn’t like me I can’t force him to fall in love.”

 

“HA! So you admit you like him!” Miyoung grinned, all senses of agitation disappearing from her face as she friend.

 

Seryung replied with a strained smile. “I really like him but if he’d not the one for me. Chasing after him mightn’t work. I’ll get hurt like oppa did.”

 

Miyoung sighed exaggeratingly to illustrate her displeasure. “Why do you use the worst impression you can when talking about Setao?”

 

Seryung coughed and glanced at the ghost. “How did the maker of Ziana come up with such a terrible name like Setao?”

 

Miyoung cackled and sat herself down on an imaginary chair. “That’s because Seryungie’s name is not as compatible as Hana’s!”

 

Seryung glared at her friend sourly as Miyoung continued with her teasing, “Even Taohun sounds better,” the ghost chuckled.

 

“What the heck is a Taohun?”

 

Miyoung only giggled in response to her friend’s shocked expression, “Tao and Sehun,” the ghost continued to laugh manically at her own joke as Seryung tried to walk away holding her head in her hands.

 

“Taohun is a terrible ship,” Seryung pouted when Miyoung caught up with her. “Setao is a hundred times better,” Seryung insisted.

 

Miyoung slapped her hands over and proceeded to try and stop the fit of giggles that were threatening to overtake her without much luck. She continued to laugh, “Do you mean SE-hun and TAO?”

 

Seryung was feeling indignant at the senseless teasing that bothered her without reason, “I’m already dreading Ziana. Why the hell would you bring up Sehun oppa???”

 

Miyoung shrugged in what she hoped was a nonchalant fashion. “What if they have chemistry? Eeeep!” Miyoung ducked as Seryung threatened to throw something at her. Miyoung decided that she’d teased Seryung enough for today, enough to make her wary of Tao’s presence and maybe even wary of Sehun’s presence near Tao. Miyoung covered before she laughed again. Seryung’s ears were burning as strongly as the sun while her cheeks were flushed at the idea of having her brother push her away from Tao.

 

Seryung held her cheeks and upon discovering that they were indeed red she flushed further making Miyoung laugh again before she dematerialized. Seryung sighed to herself, her ego, pride and self confidence had all been vanquished with Miyoung’s disappearance. ‘Why is everyone, except me, compatible with Tao?!’

 

-

 

Seryung decided to make an appearance at the amusement park to prove to herself, the reality of the situation - Tao would never choose her over Hana.

 

Sehun had also decided to go since Miyoung had been persistent. Sehun hadn’t meant to run into his sister without the company of others but that’s exactly what had happened. Seryung hadn’t bothered to give him a glance but Sehun was glad to see that she was doing okay. Sehun reckoned that if Seryung wasn’t mentally torturing herself thinking the world was against her because she had decided to make an appearance.

 

Sehun didn’t greet his sister either because he knew she would refute any form of communication with him. He didn’t want to make things more uncomfortable than they already were. Sehun was just about to turn away when Miyoung appeared with a huge smile on her face, she waved at him just as enthusiastically as she’d done before.

 

“You came!” Sehun gave her a small smile and inclined his head in greeting.

 

Seryung body stiffened. Her eyes widened in fear when Sehun responded to Miyoung’s greeting. Seryung was afraid that Sehun would have a strange reaction to the ghost but he remained as he was. Seryung sighed thinking it was coincidental. She threw Miyoung a meaningful glance in warning but the ghost shrugged off the warning, “There’s no need to worry!” Miyoung assured and then turned to Sehun, “Right?”

 

Sehun nodded in agreement leaving Seryung baffled. She wondered if there was a handbook for people like her who could see random ghosts with an explanation as to why or how. Seryung wondered where she could get such a book because she didn’t understand a single thing about ghosts and their workings. Her thoughts were interrupted but the arrival of ‘Ziana’ and Seryung was least happy to see that they were walking extremely close to each other. Seryung bit the inside of her cheek and let her hardened her resolve, ‘This is what you wanted to see. You wanted your heart to know that Tao is not meant for you.’

 

-

 

Hana forgot about her parents as soon as the quartet walked through the gates of Everland. She felt excitement seep into her and nudged Tao for initiating the idea. Tao only smiled in response as he examined the map in his hands.

 

“Let’s go here first!” Hana exclaimed pointing at the location she wanted to visit, she’d heard so many things about the attraction but had never been there herself. At first the attraction had been small but it had grown over the time to become one of the hottest places to be.

 

Miyoung smirked when she say a ghost of a smile appear on Seryung’s face. Miyoung was aware that Seryung was silently agreeing with Hana’s proposal and when Sehun had agreed Miyoung saw Seryung’s eyes twinkle. They’d unanimously agreed and didn’t even realize that they had left the ghost behind in their own excitement. Miyoung sniffed, “How mean and after everything I did for you guys!” She wasn’t furious nor was she dismayed in fact, Miyoung wanted to give them space. “You guys better become closer or else I’ll refuse to talk to you.” She threatened them from afar shaking her fist before levitating towards the nearest ride.

 

-

 

“I can’t believe we’re here!” Hana squealed as the door closed. She hurried to her place, between Tao and Sehun, and placed her hands over before she could embarrass herself.

 

Seryung pressed her lips together. She didn’t trust Hana’s choice of music as the lights dimmed inside the k-pop hologram room.

 

‘A virtual concert?’ Sehun thought slightly impressed by the concept and when the music began to play his eyes widened and a smile lit his features.

 

Seryung squealed when she realized who was standing on the virtual stage. She pressed her hand onto and jumped excitedly shaking her brother’s arm.

 

Tao nodded his head and clicked his fingers to the beat of the song. It was an old yet extremely popular song. He’d heard it play in China too. He looked over to his side. Everyone was enjoying themselves so far.

 

When the chorus cropped up Sehun instinctively wanted to dance along to it. He broke the formation they’d been standing in and moved away to create room for himself to dance.

 

Seryung hid her face on Hana’s shoulder when her brother began to dance. Hana averted her eyes for a second suddenly feeling shy as she watched Sehun’s broad back move to the beat. She was sure he was in sync with the idol singer.

 

“I’m gonna be a bad boy,

“I’m gonna be a bad boy,

“I’m gonna be a bad, bad, boy,

“I’m gonna be a bad boy~”

[Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiFs7MH2kRA]

 

“Omg!” Hana whispered and hid her face when Tao began to sing. She heard a giggle come from Seryung and glanced at the younger girl who’d raised her head just in time to catch Tao hurry over to where Sehun was dancing.

 

“They’re crazy… They’re both crazy!” Hana shook her head and Seryung shook Hana’s arm trying to contain her laughter. Their eyes apologized to one another before they both began to laugh and sing along to Bi Rain’s Rainism.

 

Sehun had memorized the dance a long time ago. In fact he’d tried to woo Yoon Rae Mi with this very dance, back then his moves had been clumsy. She’d laughed at him telling him he needed more practice and so he’d practiced and practiced until he’d become one with superstar Rain. Sehun smiled to himself. His body still remembered the movements he’d struggled to learn.

 

Tao was beside him. Tao was agile on his feet as expected from a martial artist, his movements were fluid. Tao recalled how eager he’d been to learn how to dance like Rain. Rainism had been an extremely popular song and everyone in his neighbor hood had learnt the words and the dance just so they could jam to it as if they were badass. Those were the days when being able to copy Rain made one impressive and being able to dance like Rain got girls.

 

Seryung and Hana cheered and clapped when the song was over, jumping up and down by the Rain’s performance momentarily forgetting that Tao and Sehun were also in the room.

 

Tao and Sehun had simmered down, resting their hands on their knees. Sehun had done too much exercise to last him at least six months. Tao on the other hand felt as if he’d warmed up for a fight.

 

The lights dimmed down once again leaving the quartet in the dark before electric blue stage lights took over everyone’s vision. Seryung held her breath and her jaw slackened at the familiar beat. An estranged sound between a gasp and a squeal passed through her lips.

 

Hana’s hands had immediately jumped to cover her cheeks as one of her favorite concert lives was playing in front of her eyes. This was the one song she always found herself dancing to, her hips began to sway along to the beat and when her favorite idol appeared life sized she screamed!

 

Seryung would have laughed at Hana. Seeing Kim Jaejoong right there, as if he were singing on level ground with his biceps clenched as he held the mike taking her breath away with his vocals, his perfect brown hair and his body. She felt dizzy.

 

Tao held his ears. Hana’s scream could be fatal because it was so high pitched. He saw the surprised look on Sehun’s face as he turned to look at the source of the scream.

 

Hana paid no attention to either of them. Her arms began to flail as she jumped up and down being unable to register reality from the hologram. She pointed at Jaejoong when he appeared and squealed when she found the chance.

 

Seryung had been quiet until the chorus began, and Jung Yunho was standing in the center of the stage wearing a sleeveless, black, shirt with only the last two buttons buttoned – then came Seryung’s fan-scream and when the original members of the group all appeared Tao thought he would go deaf. Sehun thought his ears would ring forever as the girls screamed, together!

 

The screaming didn’t end there. It continued to become higher and higher until the two girls realized they wanted to sing to the song too, catching the last two verses of the chorus, swinging their arms as the dance proclaimed trying to copy the moves. Sehun covered his ears with his hands and Tao did the same, they both grimaced as the screams reached decibels they thought a human voice could never reach!

 

“Neon nareul wonhae, neon naege ppajyeo, neon naege michyeo,

“He eo nal su eobseo ( I got you~ under my skin)

“Neon nareul wonhae, neon naege ppajyeo, neon naege michyeo,

“Neon naui no ye ( I got you~ under my skin).”

[Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4u1tNC0KUI]

 

The lyrics for Mirotic had been censored to say, ‘I got you under my sky,’ but the girls refused to alter the original lyrics and sang. ‘I got you under my skin.’ Their singing was a mix of screaming, cheering and fangirling as they emphasized the last word of every verse and the forever controversial line ‘I got you under my skin.’ From there Seryung and Hana proceeded to dance in a way that made Tao and Sehun avert their gaze feeling awkward and hot, wishing they were out of the hologram concert.

 

Seryung took a deep gulp of air and screamed as loud as her lungs allowed when Yunho said, “Louder.” She didn’t need to look at Hana to know that she did the same. Seryung didn’t know how hard she fangirled to Yunho’s solo dance until Hana hugged her from the side and wiped her eyes for her. Se Ryun laughed and forgetting that she had ever been wary of Hana, hugging her back as they became one with DBSK.

 

“Oh no!!!” Sehun exclaimed when Changmin’s turn to scream approached. Tao didn’t understand the petrified look on Sehun’s face, not until it was too late. When three high-pitched voices scream, Tao wanted nothing more than to destroy the hologram machine.

 

 “Yeeeeaaaaaah~”

 

Seryung and Hana cried after that as a wave of unexplainable fangirl emotion over took them. Their voices became hoarse after all the screaming and it hurt to strain their voices. Tao and Sehun exchanged apologetic glances when the noisy girls resorted to squealing whenever Jaejoong or Yunho appeared.

 

Tao ran out of the room when the ‘concert’ was over, glad to be rid of the kpop hologram room. He welcomed the air and the sound of normal humans. Sehun stalked out behind Tao as fast as he could for fear of an encore performance.

 

“I hate the sound of girls screaming!” Tao held his ears to show his displeasure. Sehun nodded in agreement and shuddered recalling the agony he’d just gone through. “Never again do you let those two listen to DBSK!!!”

 

Seryung and Hana didn’t leave for a while because adrenaline was still pumping through their veins. They giggled and discussed the performance, laughing and blushing at the thought of their biases. The discord between them had melted and dispersed as if it had never existed.

 

“I never thought I’d ever see a close up of Jaejoong oppa!” Hana fanned herself, Seryung only giggled as they walked out of the room with their arms linked.

 

Sehun arched an eyebrow at the unexplained friendship but didn’t say anything. Tao shook his head and grimaced. “We should go before they drag us back in there!” Tao advised patting Sehun’s shoulder. Sehun took a step away from the girls instinctively as they approached.

 

“Yunho is so handsome!” Seryung sighed longingly. “Where do I find myself someone like Jung Yunho?”

 

Tao scoffed, he’d never seen this side to Oh Seryung, the fangirl side, her eyes were still shining with the thoughts of Yunho. “Jung Yunho would run for the hills the minute he heard you scream!”

 

Sehun snorted at Tao’s words and quickly turned around before his sister could glare at him. He wanted to laugh at the thought of Jung Yunho running to save himself from an overly fanatic Seryung as she chased him for an autograph.

 

Hana pursed her lips at her male companions who didn’t seem to understand her heart, she tapped Seryung’s shoulder and whispered something into her ear. Seryung burst into a fit of laughter that required her to clutch her stomach, “Me too, me too! OMG what’s wrong with us?” Hana placed her hands over her warm cheeks and giggled shamelessly.

 

“What?” Tao asked the girls and was rewarded by a smack on the arm from Sehun, “Don’t ask them!” Sehun hissed. He didn’t want to know the inner workings of a fangirls mind, it unnerved him, he was sure he’d get nightmares of screaming banshees for days to come.

 

Tao pouted, rubbing his arm as he did. He hated the way the girls were laughing, it was almost as if they’d exchanged their intelligence for a single brain cell.

 

“Let’s decide where to go next.” Sehun suggested and gave Tao a pleading look.

“As long as male idols aren’t involved. I will go anywhere!” Tao replied shuffling over to Sehun to peep at the map he took out of his back jeans pocket.

 

Tao’s sentence made Seryung and Hana cross their arms and glower at him. Tao winced and used Sehun as a shield to protect himself from the scowling girls. Sehun his lips. “How about Safari World?” He asked oblivious about Tao’s plight. Tao just nodded his head. “Let’s go!”