Recollection

Everlasting Impressions

Miyoung floated about Seryung's empty room. Things had gone from almost-decent and taken a turn-for-the-worst. Miyoung shook her head solemnly. "How can they do that? Sehun and Seryung never fight!"

 

MAMA peered at the ghost from his cage and waited for the ghost to tell him the story. So far the owl had heard the words, "But they've never fought before!" "Sehun was so mean today!" "I can't believe Seryung did that to Hana." "What is wrong with them?"

 

MAMA wanted to hear what was wrong but the ghost kept him in suspense as she floated from one corner of the room to the other. MAMA  was curious about Tao. Tao's name had cropped up too and MAMA wanted to know how his former owner was getting on. MAMA also wanted to know what happened to the sleep over.

 

The house had been quiet enough for MAMA to fall asleep, but his sleep was disturbed by shouting and the bang of a door. Kim Hana had reluctantly enter Seryung's room.

 

Seryung had followed shortly afterwards and glared at her. MAMA sensed the tesnion and ruffled his feathers. Oh Seryung had thrown her pillow onto her duvet and declared she wasn't sleeping in her room.

 

Hana had tried, "Seryung, what's wrong? What happened, you need to te-"

 

"I don't need to tell you anything! What are you for me to tell you stuff? You're a nobody! People like you are the worst. You caused all that and now you're shameless enough to try and come back here. If you had any sense you would have gone right home! Get out of my way!"

 

Seryung had been direct in her discomfort of having Hana staying over. She'd made it obvious enough for even MAMA to know that there had been a falling out between the girls.

 

Seryung had slammed the door shut letting everyone in the room know she was on bad terms.

 

Miyoung hadn't dared to move or even confront her friend. She'd stayed hidden behind the curtain rather than dematerializing. 

 

Hana had just stood stunned in her spot before hugging herself. She'd looked lost and MAMA would have tried to comfort her, when she began to cry silently while packing her belongings, but MAMA was confined to his cage.

 

Hana had fiddled with her phone and MAMA suspected she was texting. The text had been short and the phone had buzzed for quite some time but Hana refused to answer it. She fanned her eyes all the while and surveyed the room. Her eyes had locked with MAMA's and the owl had hooted an apology in the place of his owner. Hana had smiled at him almost as if she'd understood him. She'd picked herself up from where she'd been sitting and made her way over to the cage. Hana had watched MAMA shift uncomfortably in his cage at the sudden attention he was receiving. He wasn't used to being watched or even stared at, especially by a girl.

 

"I bet you don't like being lock up," Hana had muttered. Her hand had reached to open the cage but her fingers had stopped at the lock. She'd stared at it, wondering what she should do, before letting her fingers rest on the table.

 

"I'm sorry MAMA. I can't let you stretch your wings. Seryung's already mad at me, she'll hate me if I do. You understand, don't you?"

 

MAMA would have cooed a response if a lonely tear hadn't rolled down her cheek. The owl had stared not knowing what else to do. He wasn't able show her the tricks Tao had taught him because he'd been confined.

 

Hana had laughed a small, bitter, mocking laugh at herself. She'd moaned and wiped her eyes. "Why am I crying? No one means what they're saying right now. They're all just really angry, so why am I crying?"
 

MAMA had pecked at the bars of his cage and tilted his head when her attention was back at him. He'd hooted and flapped his wings, he'd even hopped around the cage to make Hana laugh.
 

MAMA hadn't expected any affection in return let alone having his feathers . He'd been pleasantly surprised by Hana's action and wished she would visit more often.
 

"Does Seryung treat you well?" Hana'd asked and chuckled when the owl flapped his wings. She'd bit her lip, leaned her head back and blinked rapidly. "This sleepover has been a disaster... I wasn't expecting it to be amazing but... I was hoping to enjoy it.... Maybe, I'm just not allowed to be happy?" Hana then sat on her knees and folded her arms on the table so she could rest her chin against them.
 

"Have you ever thought that making others happy was enough, because you believed that if they were happy, you'd be happy?" Hana had asked. MAMA didn't know how to reply. He'd never done something that hadn't made him happy but Hana had looked unhappy, lost and alone.


"I think, my purpose in life, is to try and make the people around me happy but there's a catch," Hana had wagged her index finger, "No matter how much I try, no ones happy with me... I just end up disappointing them." She'd frowned and leaned her elbows on the table to cup her face. She'd pouted at MAMA before speaking again.

"MAMA, this is advice from your aunt. Don't always keep trying to make others happy. You'll be miserable, you'll hate yourself and you'll sometimes think things like, 'would they be happy, if I didn't exist?' And then, there will come a point, where you'll get so used to trying, that you won't know how to stop. If you don't know how to stop, you'll suffer. Because when those people hurt you, you'll feel like you've been thrown away. You'll feel like trash and I can honestly say, you'll hate yourself."

 

Hana had sighed and tickled the owl, making him hoot louder than he'd intended too as he'd tried to scurry away. Hana had laughed, not bitterly but with a little less despair.
 

MAMA had been sad to see her go. All the while, Miyoung had been watching the exchange silently, stone-faced like a still portrait. Miyoung hadn't moved from her spot until Hana had left with her belongings.
 

"You like her because you don't know the full story!" Miyoung had said ominously. MAMA didn't believe that Hana had done anyone wrong but Miyoung had remained passive. She'd put a finger to her lips and pointed to the wall. "I'm going to get the rest of the story first and then get back to you."


With those words Miyoung had vanished leaving MAMA to debate about what exactly had happened.


Miyoung had taken her time to return. She wove her own opinion from their opinions and deemed that everyone was in the wrong.


"You see, they all stood on each others tails. Hana tried to make Sehun fall in love when Sehun oppa isn't willing to do so. Sehun oppa will never dare to fall in love again because he blames himself for Rae Mi unni's death. He thinks its his fault she was where she had been when she'd met with an accident. It doesn't matter if I think its got nothing to do with him, what matters is that he thinks that. He's been thinking that for years. He doesn't plan to change and anyone who wants to change him will automatically be deemed a threat.

"I really don't understand Hana though... She has no business in this at all. Seryungie.. I know Seryungie is trying to stop her brother from trying to love someone who isn't around anymore. MAMA you haven't seen how dedicated Sehun is at keeping memories of Rae Mi alive. If you had to watch him, as his sister, you would eventually blow up too.

"Tao, Tao was your owner right? You like him? Are you biased? If you are, I think I will be too. He's horrible. I hate him. I don't plan to change my mind because he added oil to fire."


MAMA hooted in protest but Miyoung shook her head. "Do you want to know what happened or not? I won't tell you if you keep interrupting me!
 

"Tao, is the worst! He was really nice in bringing Seryung home. I won't lie, I didn't think he'd go out of his way and it was very nice of him etc, etc. But the thing is, he doesn't like Seryung. Why is he nice to someone he doesn't like? He's given her the wrong impression. MAMA, I think... I think Seryung might like Tao! But he hates her! He made it so obvious!"
 

MAMA hooted once again to remind Miyoung that he didn't want to hear her opinion but rather an account of what had happened.
 

Miyoung made a face and dived head first through the ground before popping up behind MAMA's cage and giving him a fright. The owl screeched and told the ghost she was overstepping her boundaries.
 

Miyoung shrugged and deflated. She rested her chin on the table where MAMA's cage sat.
 

"Sehun oppa got really angry at Seryungie. Really, really, really angry. It's all Hana's fault. Hana didn't even lie to save Seryungie, doesn't she know Sehun oppa's personality? He's completely unforgiving to the point where he would never look at you again, he'd change his name and break off any links if he could, he's that easily offended.

"He told Seryungie," Miyoung cleared here and broke MAMA out of the reverie he was imagining Sehun in. "'Don't call me oppa! As far as I'm concerned, I don't have a sister!' Is what he said. Seryungie tried to pacify him. Hana just listened, she didn't do anything at all when Sehun oppa told Seryungie to 'get lost' because 'he didn't want to see her.'

"Then Seryungie was really, really, really upset. She wanted to go to her room and she forgot there was a sleepover going on. She didn't want to see Hana because Hana's the reason she had a fight with Sehun oppa so Seryungie told Hana, to sleep in the guest room or go home.

"Hana did something stupid. She just stood there when Seryungie went to the kitchen to get a glass of water hoping to cool down. Sehun oppa noticed Hana standing there, like an idiot, and asked her what was wrong. Hana told him that she didn't know where the guest room was. Sehun oppa was already angry at Seryungie and you know, when you're angry at someone, you're quick to point out, anything you think they did wrong.

"Sehun oppa told Seryungie she was a 'brat' and told her that 'Hana isn't going anywhere' and that she will sleep in Seryungie's room. He also told her not to use innocent people in her plans and told her that she's 'scary' and that he's 'scared, to live in the same house,' with someone like her.
Hana didn't say anything at all to stop them. Seryungie tried to defend herself but Sehun oppa was angry with Seryungie. He just told Hana to tell him if Seryungie tried to be 'difficult.' Seryungie was upset. She's still upset I think, she's crying but I don't want to check. She wouldn't want anyone to know she's crying. She didn't even do anything wrong and she was sick earlier too, she saw a ghost. Seryungie's brain has a mental breakdown every time she sees them. It's too sad!"


MAMA nodded his head and wondered why the fight had escalated to be such a big implosion. He's always been under the impression that the two siblings were closer than atomic particles.
 

Miyoung peered at the baby owl carefully. She decided to let him digest the information before throwing more at him. MAMA shook his head at all of it until he remembered Hana. He looked up at Miyoung and was about to open his beak to ask but she beat him to it.
 

"Tao and Hana. They made Seryungie mad, mad enough to break her 'friendship' with Hana.

"Hana packed her stuff and said she would leave because they were fighting because of her. She said 'bye' to both Sehun oppa and Seryungie.

"Sehun oppa said mean things about Seryungie and Hana tried to be nice, like she always does. They talked about school stuff... I think there's something going on at school. Sehun oppa said he would fix things and told her not to worry because he'd put things back as they were.

"Seryungie told Hana to just go. Seryungie also said that she doesn't like Hana and told Hana not to talk to her in school and act like they are friends or something because they're not. Seryungie says she doesn't want to become what Hana is," Miyoung frowned and tapped her chin, "Seryungie glanced at me while saying that... What could it mean?"
 

MAMA squealed impatiently making Miyoung wave her hands, "Alright, alright! Let's get back to it!

"Basically, Hana left, kind of. She was waiting for her someone to pick her up and Seryungie was made to bid her goodbye.

"Guess who showed up to pick up Hana? Tao! Tao was angry too because Hana had messaged him everything! She tells him everything, every little single thing! She messaged him exactly how she felt but didn't tell Seryungie or Sehun oppa her 'feelings.' How is someone meant to understand how you feel if you don't tell them?

"Seryungie had no idea why Tao was yelling at her. He called her a two faced-b**** and said he didn't expect much from her but didn't think she'd stoop so low as to play with her friends. He told her she doesn't know how to treat people. He called her selfish, self-important and told her she probably think the world rotates at her feet. He told her to wake up before its too late and said other mean things too.

"Hana tried to stop him but whose going to listen to her? Even Seryungie told her to stop acting like she cares. Seryungie fired her anger for Tao towards Hana. She told Hana to keep away from her brother. She said that Hana's a fox who likes to play with guys and that she'll let the school know what Hana is really like.

"Tao didn't like that, he told Seryungie that she should learn her place. The two of them argued for ages. They just kept fighting and fighting they gave me a headache, even though I can't get headaches.

"Tao and Hana left. Seryungie went to the guest room. The best part is that Sehun oppa most likely 99.9% knows, what happened at the front gate because a maid or a butler probably told him. 

"Hana's locked herself in her room, and is crying there. Seryungie is crying in the guest room. Sehun left to visit the graveyard. Tao is killing a punching bag. They're all upset..."
 

Miyoung concluded her story at that and left the owl to speculate how much of her words were true and how much was exaggerated.
 

The ghost helped the owl stretch his wings that night, to clear his mind in the fresh chilly air, and hunt for his favorite snacks. After freeing the owl, Miyoung left to stand outside the high school Seryung attended. She shuddered knowing she couldn't venture into it's walls. Whether it was because of her past or whether it was an omen, Miyoung found it physically impossible to penetrate the academic institution, or any other for that matter. Every time she tried, it was like running into a wall and it hurt. It hurt her although it shouldn't have been capable of hurting her. She couldn't enter it. There was no distinct explanation as to why. Ghosts didn't recieve a manual guide for the things they were allowed and unable to do. The little knowledge Miyoung possessed was what she'd picked up on during her time as a supernatural being.

 

Miyoung held her palm against the boarder, "Our history isn't pleaseant. Is that why I can't come in?" She asked and looked at the building as if waiting for an answer, "What's happening in here that you don't want me to see? Do you think I'm stupid? I know, I know something's going to happen here, something bad but what?"