Kim Hana?

Everlasting Impressions

Oh Seryung clicked her tongue at the dissatisfaction her search for Kim Hana brought. She hadn’t found the right girl yet even though she'd been contouring the school building for ages!

 

Seryung smiled and waved to her classmates. They weren't 'friends' exactly but she had made sure to keep in touch with all of them. She didn't want to become like her brother who kept two friends with him. The whole school was Seryung's friend and she'd made sure of it. She spoke and joked with everyone. She sat at various lunch tables knew most names. How had she missed that Kim Hana?

 

She scratched her head and sighed. It was hard to smile at everyone and pretend she liked each and every one of them. She didn't, she just didn't want to become like her brother in this regard. She knew them but they didn't know her. She pretended to take interest in their lives and in return for being a fake friend she helped anyone who asked for it. It was her way of apologizing to them for using them.

 

She groaned first and then restarted her search. She roamed the halls and asked questions in hopes of locating Hana. She 'shyly' shot her admirers down and rolled her eyes at them later for thinking that they knew her. No one knew her, not the real her. They knew her as a fictional character who they continued to develop.

 

They built her on the same pedestal that they had put Sehun on and coined them as conjoined siblings who were one and the same. However, Seryung knew it and Sehun did too. They were not the same. They looked similar; male and female versions of the one cast, but they were eons apart. Their thoughts were different, their personas were different, and they were two people not one!

 

Seryung scoffed inwardly after speaking to a Kim Hana just not the right one. ‘Never! I’m never, ever, ever, going to name my kid, Kim Hana!’ They were all too identical in their manner and form. They were all to willing to please her. She was Sehun's sister and that was ‘why.’

 

Seryung swiftly avoided bumping into another student and bowed in apology. She played with the idea that people only noticed her because she was Sehun's sister. Would they care about her otherwise? And who was Sehun to them? To her, he was a brother who she could share her every thought with but to them... He didn't even speak to them! Would he speak to Kim Hana? Well, he had to. She would become his fiancée. Sehun wouldn't be able to avoid her. Seryung mused what her sister-in-law would be like.

 

 -

 

The evil smirk imprinted on Sehun’s face made his friends grimace in disgust. SungJunhyung had veered away cautiously declaring he needed to go to the library, and Haejin had swerved to the gym without turning around to even look at him. The smirk appeared seldom and when it did it brought misfortune with it. SungJunhyung and Haejing knew it all to well. Sticking around wasn't safe when Sehun was angry. He was not in his right mind and would do things without thinking because his self-control was weakened at anger’s mercy.

 

 -

 

Seryung jumped when someone let out a scream. Shrills of laughter echoed from the cafeteria. She pursed her lips trying to block out the sound of her palpitating heart. Curiously she hurried to catch a glimpse of what had happened.

 

The students jeered forming a large circle around someone. Seryung clicked her tongue out of habit and pushed through the crowd to get a better look snaking her way to the front. From the whispers alone she had deduced that prey was being subjected to torture. She pursed her lips. This was the one part of school life she truly despised.

 

An estranged cry escaped her trembling lips as Hana bore the humiliation on having her juice poured on her. The sneering heightened as her persecutor smashed her glass to the floor. She trembled at his sheer outrage. The shards of glass on the cold floor reflected her pitiful image.

 

Her hair was smeared with the lunch she’d haughtily toyed with earlier. Her uniform was sprinkled with its scent and flecks of it clung to her leg where the tray had fallen beside her feet. Juice dripped from her hair and each drop caused her to quiver further as the taunting increased.

 

Students were pointing at her accusingly as if she’d committed a crime. Their faces looked ready to punish her. Someone in the distance spoke her name. She blinked allowing the beads of tears to fall shamefully. She disguised them with her hands not wanting to be seen. Her persecutor left, leaving the onlookers behind to hurl their food at her.

 

Someone jerked her arm causing her to lurch forward. She fixed her gaze to the ground hoping everything would go away. Maybe it was the solution to her cause because suddenly they stopped throwing food at her. Still shaking, she gulped when someone sharply tugged at her arm and dragged her out of the cafeteria.

 

She didn’t dare to look up, keeping her eyes fixed to the floor. What did they want with her now? Were they not satisfied enough? Was she going to have to bear something crueler? Would she be bullied? Hana bit her lip not wanting to think. She wanted the floor to absorb her whole. She let out a cry when she was into the girl’s washroom.

 

 -

 

Seryung tapped her foot impatiently as she eyed the timid girl in front of her -- this was Kim Hana. Seryung scrunched her nose at the image. Restlessness surged through her and she didn’t like it. There was nothing much to the trembling girl who stood before her. Hana was pointing her eyes to the ground not daring to look up, her legs quivered, and juice dripped from where it clung to her disheveled outdated hairstyle.

 

Seryung stopped tapping her foot and sighed. The timid girl had not yet dared to look at her. “Hey! Kim Hana!”

 

Hana swallowed back her anxiety. The girl was talking to her now. She hunched her shoulders in turn wishing the floor would hurry and eat her. She didn't like the painful humiliation she'd been subjected to. It has come from her classmates as well as other students. They'd all taken part in tormenting her. If they hadn't known her before, they all knew her now. There had been excitement in their eyes. Hana shuddered and hugged herself knowing they weren't done. Instinctively, she bit her lip.

 

Hana began to whimper placing her hands onto her face as if they belonged there. Her companion sighed and ruffled her hair at the mess she’d chosen to get involved in. She bit back her anger at her brother’s earlier actions.

 

“Yah Kim Hana! Are you a snot sprinkling fountain?” Hana blinked at the description before being flung to her side.

 

She heard the gushing tap run. Hand towels were yanked and moistened. Then someone pried at her hands. Hana allowed them to be separated from her face and flinched at the cold moist tissue that came in contact.

 

“Your face is a mess,” came the offhanded comment of her companion. Hana pushed her hands away. “Stop,” a squeak reached Seryung ears. A smile flitted across her face. She was pleased with the reaction as Hana slowly looked over at her.

 

“Clean!” She commanded, handing her some more tissue as a peace offering.

 

A chill lunged itself through Hana. She stared at the person standing before here. ‘Oh Seryung!’ Hana bit her lip as tears welled up again. “What does Oh Seryung want with me? Was Oh Sehun not enough?” she thought aloud with dread.

 

Seryung grimaced and silently began to tidy the girl’s appearance. She’d gotten involved too quickly, and without thinking with only the name Kim Hana in her thoughts. Now things had gotten this far and Oh Seryung was not going to back down until she had achieved peace between herself and the docile girl.

 

Seryung tried to recall the girl's face. She knew everyone, how was it that she didn't recognize this girl? Her brain had a separate database in which she categorized people. Seryung pouted, maybe she didn't really know everyone or could it be her memory was fading?

 

Hana let Oh Seryung continue to help her while silently wondering what she was doing. The younger girl wiped the food from Hana's uniform after cleaning her face. Seryung frowned when she met with a tough stain and polished harder. Hana was too studded to comprehend anything. A sinking feeling was weighing her down and she worried about what would happen once she set foot outside.

 

Would they come after her again? Why choose her? Hana had seen kids become totally and utterly destroyed until their personalities broke down into nothingness. They normally transferred schools never to be heard of again.

 

But then who and what was Oh Seryung? She was known as the charming younger sister of Oh Sehun. Yet, she was here helping her… The irony gob smacked Hana more than the stunning events. What was going on? Did Seryung know her? Sehun had undoubtedly heard of her but Seryung also knew? Was that why she was helping? Hana blew out her cheeks. 'She pities me!'

 

Seryung reluctantly let Hana stop her and instead frowned at the stains that were left behind. “Those aren’t coming off,” she grumbled pointing to the offending stains.

 

“It’s alright,” Hana smiled quietly averting her eyes to the floor again. She contemplated changing into her gym uniform instead of attending the remainder of her classes in her current mess. She would also have to take a shower, and wash the pungent citric aroma from her hair. Hana frowned not wanting to drink juice ever again.

 

Seryung clicked her tongue feeling impatient again she wanted to talk to Hana but she was completely unresponsive. Seryung had questions for Hana and had hoped her efforts of friendliness would break the awkward barrier but things were still awkward. She needed to smack some sense into her brother. What on earth did he think he was doing attacking the mute girl?

 

“You don’t happen to be that Kim Hana do you?” She asked plunging her dark pupils into Hana’s without warning.

 

Hana swallowed unused to attention. ‘That Kim Hana?’ She nodded slowly. Somehow she knew what Seryung was talking about.

 

“That half explains why he went crazy,” Seryung fumed.

 

Hana nodded quietly but stopped as soon as Seryung's eyes met hers. "Sorry," Hana muttered and she pushed her hair out of her face. 

 

Slowly she straightened her uniform. It was disgusting to do so. Her hands met with dampness that made her fear her future would be ominous. What would the bullies do with her? Was it better to transfer early before they drove her off he edge?

 

"Stop that!" Seryung intervened and slapped Hana's hands away, "There's no way you'll look neat in that." Seryung tilted her head and eyed Hana slowly. She measured the other girl against herself and smiled. "I have a spare uniform in my locker. I'll lend it to you."