Inevitable Experiences

Everlasting Impressions

“Forget any of this ever happened. You didn’t come to the glassrooms. You didn’t meet me. None of it happened. In exchange, I’ll let you go. I’m no fool though, I’ll be watching out to see what you’ve been up to.”

 

Hana went home early that day and skipped school the following day opting to lock herself in the comfort of her room. He’d said to ‘forget’ him. That part was hard, especially when he haunted her nightmares. Each time she closed her eyes he was there. An imprint of him had been left behind.

 

The whip against her leg had left a bruise that was difficult to cover up. If someone asked her how she’d gotten injured, she couldn’t say. She wasn’t allowed to tell…

 

She threw away her tie, blouse and skirt. They were ruined anyway, she didn’t need to keep them. The gash on her thigh wasn’t deep for a knife wound, but it was still profound enough to cause aching.

 

She didn’t take painkillers.

 

She couldn’t stomach very much either.

 

 Each time she put something in she was reminded of how he’d invaded it, and then the memories resurfaced. He should have just stabbed her and left her for the foxes, it would have made both their lives easier. His words rang in her ears as if emitted through a loud speaker. They were as clear as crystal and as cold as ice. Knowing him, she could be watched from anywhere, even the window of her room.

 

It made her feel dirty, like she was infected, like she carried disease, and what if she did? The sight of her own skin made her recoil, for that very reason she’d broken the mirrors in her room; she didn’t want to look at herself. She wanted to pretend nothing had happened to her; she was fine, that she would be okay.

 

Perhaps.

 

That night she awoke from a scream, and had a compulsive urge to wash. She cleaned herself vigorously scrubbing the grime she carried. Her skin turned red but the ‘dirt’ didn’t come off. It only produced a raging tantrum that ended in tears.

 

She didn’t sleep properly.

 

-

 

Irritable and obstreperous, school should have been the perfect distraction from her thoughts. It was shocking to see that things hadn’t changed. Everything was still the same… but she wasn’t.

 

“You’ve been acting weird all day, you know?” Sehun’s voice called from behind her.

 

Hana chewed on her lip, momentarily forgetting what she was doing at her locker. She stared distractedly wondering how to appear ‘normal.’ Quickly she began arranging her books in no particular order, with no real aim, but to buy time until she could answer him properly.

 

Sehun caught the water bottle she knocked down her and arched an eyebrow. “See what I mean?”

 

She saw it, but what could she say? Without meaning to, her eyes caught sight of a camera. He was most likely watching… right? She her lips and looked anywhere but Sehun. What would she do if the boy read her soul?

 

She jumped, when his electrified fingers came in contact with her cheek, and stared. “Are you feeling okay? You seem a bit pale.”

 

Hana bobbed her head a little too hastily, feigning a smile she plucked her bottle from his hands, and placed it back into her locker. Unable to fabricate a tale she clenched her fists tightly.

 

“Hana, if this is about the essay thief-“

 

“Yes! Yes it is! Erm, I-I was checking to see if the essay was still there, it is.” She scratched her head and sighed, hoping he would buy the excuse. While doing her best to rid negative thoughts, she met eyes that illustrated inner conflict, as did the expression he wore. The connection was brief but she’d attained what she needed.

 

 “The thief won’t come back. Don’t worry about it,” he assured.

 

She ran a shaky hand through her hair. Since when had it become hard to gaze into Sehun’s eyes? It hurt to see him watching her so innocently. An urge to cry bubbled up within her making her shoulders shake. Slowly she closed her locker thinking ordinary tasks might cool the grief brewing in her. As if he were somehow aware there was something amiss, he called her name causing her to bite her lower lip.

 

It took all of her self-control to keep herself from having a breakdown. Sehun’s presence was the onset of this malfunction. Slowly she distanced herself from him. Little shuffles became large steps as she tried to regenerate from the ongoing chaos that had initiated in her mind.

 

Ill fate, was an understatement.

 

Hana stopped in her tracks. It felt like all the air had been knocked out of her in one blow. She tried to steer away but he caught her eye rendering her incapable of tearing away. Time came to a standstill and a new world in which there were just the two of them opened.

 

 His eyes were desolate sparks of remorselessness. They weighed heavy on her shoulders. It didn’t take long for the devil to continue talking to his girlfriend. The girl smiled at her, however Hana was captivated by the brutality of the male whom was silently jeering her, she trembled like a rabbit caught in headlights. Each cell in her system chilled in place. He smirked, aware of how much he terrified her.

 

Sehun sighed and squeezed her arm shattering the spell, and making her spring like a Jack-in-the-box.

 

Holding her imploding head in her hands, she squealed, “Headache!” Praying Sehun would understand. He didn’t though because he reached for her again. His touch felt like ice meeting fire, and his caring countenance tore through her.

 

Her heartbeat grew between the claws it was held captive in and an audible sob escaped her. Her knees wobbled making her stumble. She might have hit the ground if he hadn’t caught her. Then she felt it again, an arrow straight from hell ripped through her. An ominous, omniscient gaze vacuumed her scream.

 

She pushed Sehun, stunned by everything. The boy said nothing. He only stared at her confounded by her unnatural reaction, unaware that contact from him brought back unwanted memories. She stormed past him, petrified of what was happening to her.

 

Hana left school early that day, had she attended she might have bore witness to the incriminating fliers that appeared like magic around the school. They lay eggs of burden in Seryung’s heart.

 

She sighed crumpling one of the leaflets into a little ball and chucking it towards the bin, missing it narrowly. There were many more sitting in a stack beside her. She glared at the accusing heading titled: The Princess & The Pauper. Sitting around and doing nothing nagged at her conscience. Here, were photographs of Tao’s small rented house, his old run-down bike, his former school, his poor grades, followed by pictures of him and her together; all insinuating one thing as the heading so maleficently concluded.

 

Truth be told she didn’t know how to feel about the whole thing. It stunned her that she could still be involved in this kind of scandal. A ‘poor guy’ was looking towards her as his ticket to a well off life?

 

“It’s not even true,” she mused. So then why did she collect as many leaflets as possible? The answer to that was something she didn’t know. It had been on whim rather than intelligence. Even so, she wouldn’t dare let the news spread. What was wrong with her?

 

“Aren’t you angry?” Kangjun asked as he carved his latest masterpiece.

 

She shook her head not feeling the least bit miffed. It was strange…

 

“He used you.”

 

“He didn’t.”

 

“He lied to you.”

 

Here she could do nothing but hold her tongue and think. “He didn’t,” she replied thoughtfully.

 

Kangjun paused to inspect his creation before turning his attention to her. “He did though.”

 

Seryung shook her head again making him stiffen. She raised her hands in her defense. “No, no. I’m not ‘siding’ with him.”

 

“Then what is it?” he demanded to know.

 

She lowered her gaze and drew circles on the table before her. “It’s not that… It’s just that… I never asked him about his financial situation, so technically… He didn’t lie.”

 

He smirked to himself for a second before concluding, “It’s a lie.”

 

Seryung frowned but didn’t argue. She stared at the evidence and wondered who had caught whiff of the situation. It was all too baffling for her because it didn’t make much sense. However, just because her opinion was undecided it didn’t mean the rest of the school’s population would remain amicable.

 

“They’re going to start up again. Can’t you stop them?”

 

“Maybe…”

 

“You don’t like bullying.”

 

“I don’t-”

 

“So, you should put your foot down. They’ll listen to you.” She elucidated.

 

“-want to.”

 

“Not even for me?”

 

“You’re not the one being bullied.”

 

“For me?”

 

“You’re standing up for him.”

 

“Please?” She pouted cutely.

 

“Hm… I’ll think about it.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

She offered him a smile of gratitude and watched his design unfold. Behind her eyes lay assumptions and unproven theories.

 

Who was behind this?

 

Did someone hate Tao?

 

How did he manage to sneak his way into such a school?

 

Who was he, really?

 

Had he really been pretending to be rich?

 

Was a repeat student really trying to make an easy life through wealthy girls, because he couldn’t make it through examinations?

 

She waved her hand dismissively. Perhaps others might, but she didn’t think Tao would. He was far too proud to stoop that low. His pride was taller than the tallest building and his ego was a hot air balloon. He would never-

 

Kangjun broke her daze with a click of his fingers. She blinked rapidly before giving him a sheepish grin.

 

“You were day dreaming again.”

 

“Sorry, it’s just that you were busy so…”

 

“So you started thinking about Tao instead?”

 

Seryung made a face. “No, no! Why would I?”

 

He crossed his arms and raised a suspicious brow making her pout. How did he know?

 

“Your face says it all,” he accused.

 

She smiled and pointed to herself. “What does it say?”

 

“It says you’re my girlfriend.”

 

“Does it? Where?”

 

“Here,” he kissed her. His kisses felt different to Tao’s kiss, like polar opposites. If they were magnets then she and Tao would be opposite poles, whereas she and Kangjun were the same, or that’s what she thought of it. Kissing him wasn’t the same… Maybe if she hadn’t kissed Tao she’d have nothing to compare to. In the end, her heart felt nothing…

 

Seryung frowned.

 

“Something wrong?” His breath tickled her face. She smiled politely and then distanced herself. She picked up a small doll-like wooden chair. On it sat a tied character wearing a blindfold. She admired his handcrafted skills. Like most of his wooden sculptures, it really was an exquisitely, intricate piece.

 

‘Weird, this girl kinda looks like Hana.’

 

-

 

The release of the news sent the whole school whispering. Eyes followed Tao wherever he went. Surprisingly no one had tried to confront him. The scowl he wore and his aggression as he tore paper to shreds seemed to be working. It was bemusing. He’d thought the revelation would break him, instead he felt relieved. An elephant sized burden had been removed from his shoulders; life didn’t seem as suffocating anymore. Still, that didn’t mean the bits and pieces of broken conversation shared amongst the students wasn’t nasty. However, he didn’t seem to care about it, they could think what they wanted.

 

Perhaps it was the rumor about Seryung confiscating leaflets that put his heart at ease?

 

He didn’t know if the information was valid. He should have taken it with a pinch of salt, but it seemed like something she would do, so he bought it.

 

He smirked evilly wondering if the gossip had reached Seo Kangjun’s ears. It was too bad he couldn’t see the President’s son steam like a pressure cooker. That would have been rather entertaining. It was unfortunate that the cameras didn’t extend into the glassrooms. Tao would have happily exchanged one of his kidneys to see Kangjun lose his suave, not that he had any, or at least Tao didn’t think so.

 

The school was afraid of him. He rather liked this idea more than him being wary of them. They did still scare him; their ability to conform was a little more than horrific. Their theories always seemed to be at the wrong end of the stick. This time, that was a good thing.

 

He had somehow become a ‘thug’ from ‘the dark alleys of Qingdao.’ They presumed he was ‘connected to narcotics.’ As absurd as that sounded, he rather enjoyed the enigma, all save the part where they branded him ‘a gigolo…’

 

 That was demeaning.

 

It was especially incongruous when girls secretly came to ask him inappropriate questions with improper demands.

 

He’d become a ‘mature’ idol of sorts.

 

On the flip side of the coin was the person who’d gotten dragged into his scandal. She was viewed as if she were ‘dating multiple guys.’ Because it was quite a succulent issue, it invited other guys to claim they were also dating her – a false allegation. She wasn’t dating anyone but Kangjun, some acknowledged that but the majority didn’t. And so, social conventionality sided against her.

 

“Wanna kiss?” Someone swerved her to impede her path. She cringed at the frankness and shook her head.

 

“Aww why?”

 

“Sorry, not interested,” Seryung crossed her arms defensively and pretended nothing had happened.

 

“Not interested in him. What about me?”

 

She shook her head meekly, embarrassed by the situation she found herself in.

 

“Get a move on!” Someone barked. She was glad to hear his voice; at least some sort of law and order would return.

 

Sehun glared at her once the crowd of hot-blooded guys diminished.  “What is going on?” He demanded to know massaging his temples from the unstoppable headache that seemed to be approaching.

 

“Honestly, I haven’t a clue.”

 

He exhaled slowly, determined not to waste his energy by throwing an unnecessary tantrum. “Have you heard from Tao?”

 

“Not yet…”

 

“Where is he?”

 

“I don’t know. I can’t find him.”

 

Sehun nodded absentmindedly, scowling at anyone he felt were looking at him the wrong way. “First of, stick with me until I smash a brick into Seo Kangjun’s face.”

 

Seryung wrinkled her nose at the violent imagery. “Why?”

 

“Because he’s doing nothing about this. Realistically, he should try to protect you.”

 

“He will.”

 

Sehun scoffed rolling his eyes. It was already bad enough that he had Hana on his mind. Now he also had his sister to fret about.

 

-

 

Tao stared at his phone not daring to believe it. Off all the bad news in the world, it had to be this. Tears stung like onions. Reality had just swooped in washing him back to dry land. He stared at the leaking tap. The drops of water produced a depressing backdrop.

 

Perhaps he just wasn’t allowed to be happy?

 

A bitter resentment shrouded him. He hated them all, the whole school, all the students, the teachers, everyone. He wanted nothing more than to torch the building with all its inhabitants trapped inside.

 

He fumed silently with his back hunched before echoing a scream, and sinking to his knees. He punched the wall in front of him until all sensation left his fist. It transformed from red to raw however that didn’t amount to the agony he felt upon hearing that his gege had died.

 

Defeated, was how he felt. It was like each time he picked himself up something came along to kick him down, like climbing stairs only to have them turn to a slippery, inclined slope. He was tired of it all, and it seemed there was no solution to it. The harder he tried the tougher the punishment. He wished he’d never formed bonds; bonds made him vulnerable. They ate at him like piranhas. Even so, he was persistent because his resolved toughed like calloused skin.

 

-

 

Sehun pressed his lips together ruefully as Seo Kangjun shoved Joonmyun to the ground. As much as he wanted to help his friend his legs were jammed in position. Their gaze locked for a moment, making Sehun remorseful although a part of him had accepted that Joonmyun needed this beating. He told himself he would stop it only if it threatened to become worse. His inner thoughts were quarrelling with each other, divided between Sehun: Seryung’s brother, and Sehun: Joonmyun’s friend; there was nothing he could do.

 

Joonmyun was responsible for spreading the malicious content slandering his sister. Sehun might have denied it if the boy hadn’t admitted to it. Now he just wanted to crawl into a hole and pretend he didn’t know anything. He was unable to choose between friends and family; he’d always thought them to be one and the same. Hence why his body refused to move and his brain refused to think; he was a failing robot.

 

“That’s enough.”

 

He was thankful that his sister had halted Kangjun in time. It gave him the opportunity to unhinge himself from his stiffened state and help his friend. Joonmyun didn’t utter anything, neither a ‘thanks’ nor ‘an apology.’ The boy accepted his help before brushing him away to glare at the tormentor.

 

Neither boy backed down from the staring contest until Sehun practically dragged his friend away from Kangjun’s demoralizing leer. This time, Joonmyun complied as he hobbled beside Sehun leaning against him for the strength he didn’t possess.

 

“Why?” Sehun asked helping him onto a chair.

 

“I must look half dead right?”

 

“You look like something the cat dragged in. How on earth did you manage to get caught?” A third companion implored.

 

“I’m sure you have a mirror Jongin. Let me borrow it.” Joonmyun seemed unfazed by his unruly state; he seemed annoyed more than anything.

 

Sehun scratched his head and watched the boys behave as if this were a completely normal occurrence.

 

“Can’t believe you got caught!” Jongin smacked his forehead in dismay.

 

“I didn’t.”

 

Sehun’s eyes widened. The boys watched him cryptically before exchanging knowing looks.

 

“Can’t tell you everything mate, just that you should watch out. The people around you are not what they seem. Like pauper-boy Tao, Hana might also be someone to watch out for.” Jongin phrased carefully.

 

Joonmyun smirked as if a dog had bitten him. He was about to express his frustration with the situation he was in until Jongin elbowed him and shot him a stern glance.

 

“Joonmyun needs to be somewhere,” Jongin articulated coldly, narrowing his eyes at him.

 

Sehun rolled his eyes thinking it was a joke of some kind, but Joonmyun was insistent on proving him wrong. The boy didn’t protest. He just left.

 

“What’s going on?” Sehun demanded from Jongin whose normal cheery expression had become unnaturally distorted.

 

“Nothing.”

 

“What was all that about?”

 

“I thought I told you, you weren’t meant to know? Count your lucky stars you didn’t end up like Joonmyun. I’m going to give you a light warning: don’t bother trying to find out anything unless you have a death wish.”

 

“Jongin?”

 

“And your girlfriend whom you love so much, is actually a fraud.”

 

“Why do the two of you keep calling her that? Hana is not-“

 

“She’s been lying to you. You’ve just been too lovesick to catch on.”

 

“Do you have any proof?”

 

“She and poor-boy Tao are cousins. I bet she didn’t tell you that when she started seducing you. Face it. She’s not who you think she is, and it’s about time you get that, before she stabs you in the back.”

 

“What kind of bull is that?!”

 

“You can ask her if you don’t believe me. I can’t guarantee she’ll tell. How else can you explain what the Kim family is doing for that runt? A charity case? I beg to differ. Keeping a teenage boy in their house with their only daughter, I think not. And to think you had all these clues but didn’t figure anything out… What is your brain for? Decoration?”

 

Sehun swallowed down the insult. “I’m going to check up on Joonmyun-”

 

“She’s playing a double game with you. She picked on your weakness and you let her.” Jongin ruffled his hair in consternation.

 

“She didn’t-“

 

“She’s got you barking at her whistle.”

 

“I’m not a dog.”

 

“She probably doesn’t even like you-”

 

That did it.

 

Sehun rammed his fist without thinking of the consequences. Jongin tripped over himself but maintained balance. He held his jaw stupefied, staring at a flaring Sehun. It garnered all the strength in his system to keep himself from responding to the provoked attack. He snickered derisively as he massaged his injury.

 

“So that’s how it’s gonna be, huh?” All form of friendliness abandoned, he snorted ruthlessly. He didn’t say anything whilst dusting his uniform, but a crude smile overtook his handsome features.

 

‘You’ll regret it. I’ll make sure you do.’

 

Sehun watched Jongin stomp off. All the while his thoughts were shooting from every angle trying to make what he didn’t understand coherent. Each altered notion brought about similar results: Jongin was lying because Hana didn’t lie. Jongin’s words had left a faint impression as to why Hana might have acted thus. Even then, Sehun was in denial. He was sure that Hana would never be able to cook up a scheme so elaborate. Sehun thought he understood girls to a degree. There were a ton harassing him day in, and day out. He knew their schemes. It was impossible to think that he might have fallen into one. That just couldn’t be true... Could it?

 

He tried to call her multiple times but it seemed her phone was switched off. Clenching his phone, he pressed the receiver close to his ears. What if she picked up? His positive thinking left him desperate. In the end there wasn’t anything he could do, except leave a voice mail, and a couple of messages inquiring about her health.

 

-

 

Jongin loosened his tie. Sehun had dared to bruise his perfect features! The idea made him livid. Irritated he kicked the door open and shot the occupants of the glassroom a dirty look.

 

He continued to fume in this position, “Are you guys interested in putting Oh Sehun in his place?”

 

They seemed surprised by his utter incense. It made him chuckle. Casually he threw his tie onto the nearby couch.

 

His eyes glinted spitefully. “Looks like I might have to teach someone a little lesson…” 




Is it bad that this far in I've decided to alter the ending? Hehe, it will be promising. Maybe even cute? Dare me to spoil you! It can happen. Anything can happen with the of a pen, or in this case the clicking of a keyboard.

Also, those of you with keen hindsight will have sniffed out 'Sinister' from the clues. Can I ask you guys to not leave spoilers in the comments? It's just that I spent a lot of time making my villain completely blend-able. So comments like, "I knew X was Sinister all along," or "I never thought X could be Sinister" etc. defeat the purpose. Lol I'm the type of reader who will scroll through comments and I have found spoilers like that before. From a readers perspective and a writers opinion its best to leave X's name out. Thank you :)

I'm estimating 4-5 chapters left. 0.0 It shocks me to think this fic will end! It's  been a depressing thorn in my side. And it's been ongoing since forever too! After this, I'm sticking to one-shots! They will probably be long one-shots but still, one-shots! Btw, I have some scenes drafted for EI that I didn't use because they weren't needed. They were some pretty couple-y moments that will end up as...one-shots. How does that idea sound?

Back to present time. I don't think I've to mention Hana is having a hard time. Sehun too will have to sort out his thoughts. SeHana are having a mid life crisis, one worse than the other, but a crisis all the same. Then there are SeTao whom I think are getting along quite well despite not being together at all. The fact that they don't let others cloud their judgment is something to be applauded. Joonmyun got caught. . .    ! I'm sure all Tao fans are glad the note episode has come to an end! Now that the pawn is out of the way there's still the second line of defense before the King is left undefended. Sorry for the chess lingo >,> 

I want to talk about Sinister too but can't... He's a psychopath. 0,0 But I'm sure readers guessed that ;)

 

Does anyone actually read author notes? 

I feel like I'm talking to myself.

Maybe I'm the psychopath...?

But that would mean a sad ending.

Sad endings are good too, once given a justification.

Happy endings are usually over-rated.