Failed Experiment

Everlasting Impressions

It only seemed right for a study date to be transcended by a real one, and what could have been better than experiencing something new with your significant other?

 

Squashed amongst a cluster of people. This was Sehun’s first experience of Seoul’s underground train-system. It was safe to say that he was trying to fit in. Why, one might ask? Well, he was trying to impress a certain someone who went by the name of Kim Hana.

 

The trains were packed, and like all peak-times on public transport there was plenty of pushing and shoving, something Sehun wasn’t used to. He was struggling to keep upright. It was a battle between being lunged backward each time the train moved, and coping with folks who seemed to be in a hurry. For Sehun, there was no end to the nightmare. Why had he opted to travel via train rather than ask his chauffeur?

 

That reason was also simple.

 

Hana had suggested it.

 

Hana on the other hand, remained unperturbed by the commoner practice of public transport. Her feet stood planted, and unlike Sehun she didn’t sway in the moving vehicle. It was obvious to state that Sehun didn’t particularly like the subway. He made a note to travel on it more often, so he wouldn’t embarrass himself in front of Hana. His manly pride was running low on fuel. It would take time to top it back to full.

 

In fact, Hana had done what Sehun felt he should have done. She was taking care of him! Sehun’s cheeks burnt like charcoal under dancing flames. He wasn’t sure which it was, her arm around him holding him steady or the fact that his situation was mortifying beyond belief. It made him clutch the overhead handgrip tightly. Yes indeed, his man-pride was decreasing at an alarming rate rendering him self-conscious and alien. Two feelings he thought he’d never felt before. It really was unnerving!

-

Cheongdam-dong, Gangnam, Seoul – precisely two train stops from Hana’s house.

 

The day was young, the sun was bright and couples were out and about sharing a world in which two were one. Love smothered the air a little too much for Sehun to stomach. It had just occurred to him that he wasn’t the only one who was dating; too many couples were acting sweet and cuddly.

 

It was nauseating to watch them in their couple tees, and headbands doing cute things as if they were the happiest people alive. Sehun’s gag reflex hit play – he scrunched his nose at them. They didn’t have to be so obvious!

 

He was holding Hana’s hand, and they were walking close. He wanted to slip his arm around her waist, but public displays of affection were wholeheartedly frowned upon in the society he lived in. That didn’t mean he cared for society rules, rather he was worried about Hana’s reaction. What would she make of it, or him?

 

Hana pouted. There were far too many couples that matched one another perfectly, whereas she and Sehun wore mismatching couple bracelets. Amid the haven there were coffee dates taking place in any available seating area, selcas were mandatory as was street food.

 

“Your friend Kai… He’s kind of strange.”

 

Sehun’s expression faltered. Here they were on their first date and she was talking about Jongin!

 

“He’s always been like that.” Sehun found no marring fault in Jongin’s character. He liked to flirt, and was a little too forward when it came to the female population but that was how he was.

 

Hana pressed her lips in doubt. The thought of the tall, dark and handsome stranger brought warning chills. His eyes had been contrastingly cold to his cool demeanor. There was something that Hana couldn’t put her finger on and it bothered her.

 

“He’s strange… You shouldn’t trust him too much.” Hana concluded aloud.

 

She blinked when Sehun’s grip on her hand tightened briefly. Puzzled, she gazed at him questioningly, but he only shook his head as if he’d run into an uncomfortable situation.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

Sehun didn’t know how to answer that. It was spooky. Just moments before Hana’s warning he’d received a text message from Jongin – a rather long thesis on dating. Sehun had skimmed through most of it due to the sheer length. Not long after, he’d been sent another message telling him that women were bossy, that they liked to control who their significant other telling them how to behave, what to wear, who to hang out with etc. Etc. Etc.

 

Sehun had dismissed the alert. He’d told himself that Hana wasn’t like that. She gave a different impression to the other girls he knew. Hana was too polite and sweet natured to be imperious. Had he been wrong in his findings?

 

“He’s a friend who I’ve known since forever. He’s a bit weird, but dependable all the same.”

 

“That’s not what I meant. I mean-“

 

“Stop it,” Sehun interjected with a frown. The idea of being ‘controlled’ vexed him. It was okay for his mother to do that, and his sister had always been pushy to begin with, but he hadn’t expected Hana to become oppressive too.

 

“Let’s not ruin our date over Jongin’s credibility. He’s not worth it.”

 

“I’m not. I’m just speaking my mind.”

 

“I don’t want to fight with you over something so small.”

 

Hana sighed and swallowed her retort. A nagging thought told her that Jongin didn’t like her. She didn’t know why either. Voicing a baseless thought would only aggravate Sehun further. She decided to forget about it and concentrate on Sehun instead.

-

Busy in the world they shared, the protagonists walked hand in hand in a congested street of lovers. Unknown to them someone was plotting their demise. It all began with an ‘accidently-executed’ bump, and the spilling of hot food.

 

Sehun’s foresight had saved Hana from being scalded however it wasn’t apt enough to protect him too, and that was why he emitted a hiss when the dokbokki sauce seeped through his thin shirt and scorched his flesh.

 

“Sehun?” Hana gasped, and placed a hand onto . Her eyes widened in horror. She stared at the stain on Sehun’s shirt, and at his contorted expression. The forming of sweat beads against his hairline told her something was very wrong.

 

He peeled his sleeve away from his skin, and grit his teeth to keep his visage at bay. His eyes surveyed Hana carefully, and he smiled when he realized she was unharmed.

 

“I’m so, so, so sorry!” Their ex-school teacher exclaimed.

 

Hana pursed her lips and reached for the sleeve Sehun was holding. He shook his head at her making her arms fall to her side. She sighed, and listened to the continuous apology. She clenched her jaw when the teacher fretted more than Sehun was letting her do, so she did what she could, and silently glared at the offender.

 

The teacher created a bigger fuss than was necessary. He had learnt from the best of impersonators, an alluring flower boy who was brutal yet demure when he needed to be, on how to mask simple expressions and feign concern. He’d been hoping to scar Kim Hana but Oh Sehun had intervened with his plan rendering it a failure. Oh Sehun’s arm was not the equivalent of Hana’s face and so he was disappointed with the feat.

 

He, and those who had been asked to keep tabs on his movement, knew his reasons for causing the stir.

 

He was angry, furious, and extremely unbalanced to find out that a story was being created with him as the lead antagonist. ‘Do you think you’ll get to see the ending of that essay?’

 

“I’ll pay for dry cleaning!” He insisted continuing with his play of innocence. His ploy might have been ruined, but he was well aware of the damage that had been caused, and dry cleaning was not something that could heal a second-degree burn. He almost sneered in delight when Sehun faked his wellbeing insisting he was fine. It meant the ex-teacher was able to leave the scene without commotion but not before suggested a place where they could purchase t-shirts.

 

He accepted their words of thanks while thinking: ‘Don’t thank me just yet. Your parents probably didn’t tell you not to listen to strangers.’

 

A phone call greeted the teacher when he finally left the young couple. There was no room for greetings.

 

“I specifically told you not to tamper with Sehun, yet you mock my words?”

 

The criminal smirked for a brief moment. He was in the middle of a busy street. He could come to no harm, or so he’d thought, until something dug into his back making his hair follicles perspire in raw fear. He held his breath and pressed the phone closer to his ear.

 

“This is a crime!” Not wanting to antagonize the being holding a gun to his back, he spoke with utmost caution. The cold metal was hard to miss and the former teacher questioned how a gun was able to roam freely in the country’s capital city. There was a mocking reply from his conscience telling him he was dealing with someone extremely powerful. He felt nauseous with dread.

 

“It seems there is a lesson to be learnt for disobeying orders.”

 

“I was aiming for Kim Hana!”

 

“Did I ask about your failed experiment?”

 

“But those kids are writing a story about my story! Don’t you think they’ll find out?! I’m helping you by doing this! Sehun wouldn’t let anything happen to Se R-”

 

A jab, from the cold metal pressed against his spine, silenced him.

 

“Do you think I will let a pesky essay ruin my plan? Are you high, or do you wish to die? Be it Sehun or Hana, they will remain unharmed unless I say so. Do not cross me.”

 

That marked the end of the phone call. The un-convicted convict braced himself for a ‘punishment’ of sorts. He expected it would be painful and horrifying. He could lose a kidney or a finger. The sinister fellow was capable of anything.

 

However, amid the growing trepidation his conscience told him he wouldn’t die. He couldn’t die because he was needed in order to execute a masterminded plot, which would result in a death without murder…



Sehun and Hana vs public transport lol. It was inspired by 'Ouran High School Host Club' (no such thing happened in that anime). I presume rich people would never really use public transport when they have drivers. Hana on the other hand is very mellow about it because of course, Tao is a commoner. It makes sense that they would use the train together. ;)

Sehun saved Hana but got hurt saving her. A second degree burn TT_TT Why? Why? Why? That essay seems more trouble than its worth. Do you think the teacher will stop there? He knows evil-flower-boy won't kill him.

What plan does the menacing character want the teacher to carry out?
What could 'a death without murder' possibly mean? Why would anyone go that far to plan it?
Why did Sinister not want to hurt Sehun and Hana? Do you think there's a reason behind his words? Could it be that he knows them very well, but is playing an impression? Could he be a friend in disguise?

Short update because I wanted to end on a darker note. If you are feeling chills then I have done a good job. If not then... I will do better!