Dread in Solace!

Everlasting Impressions

Seryung's frown kept growing deeper and deeper. How far would the nonsense go before they'd had enough? Events were repeating themselves and Seryung didn't like the direction they were headed. She wished she'd never spoken to Hana. Everything was wrong and Seryung felt a headache creep just thinking about it.

 

 “Hey! Stop it! You’ll burn a hole through the driver!” Sehun poked her forehead playfully. “And you’ll wrinkle faster than the spinster next door,” he added allowing her to briefly taste the shock.

 

Seryung quickly brought her fingers to the center of her forehead and massaged it to even the creases. She patted her forehead when she was done and examined it in a mirror before breathing a sigh of relief.

 

“You were unnecessarily mean to a certain Kim Hana today. She really didn’t deserve to be punished for anything. If you’re upset, take it up with the parents.”

 

Sehun rolled his eyes in order to show her his passiveness. Deep down the guilt was slowly clutching at his heart. He’d let his anger get the better of him again. This was the second time! The first time...

 

He shot a quick glance at his sister who was rubbing her forehead in search of loosened folds of skin. A smile flitted across his features for a brief moment at her comic appearance before his thoughts resumed.

 

“I don’t want to get married.” 

 

Seryung paused at her task for a moment and proceeded to cross her arms. “No way Sherlock! Even a stranger would have been able to sense that sudden fuel of anger. Still, you were mean to her. And then, I remembered someone..."

 

Sehun furrowed his brows and shook his head. Daunting memories were returning. He'd thought about that time too and was regretful. The he'd realized that Kim Hana shared some of his classes and he probably should have known of her. After that evaluation, he'd rolled his eyes at himself for picking on a girl. He’d stooped that low but then again she’d started it.

 

She had come to class wearing Seryung's uniform later. Sehun scowled to himself, he should have known Seryung would behave like this. “You don’t need to get involved. I’ll sort this out when we get home! What you're thinking won't happen.”

 

Seryung detected the hint of doubt in his eyes but nodded all the same. Things definitely needed sorting out and if Sehun couldn’t sort them then no one could. She crossed her arms and leaned against the window. A gradient of light dispelled and Seryung knew they weren’t alone. She shuddered at looked toward her brother who was fighting an inner conflict of his own. She read his thoughts and held his hand to reassure him.

 

-

 

Seryung ignored her ‘friends.’ They were boring her with stories they’d heard about Kim Hana, ‘the loser.’ It hadn’t even been a day (Seryung counted 20 hours) yet Kim Hana had been crowned a victim.

 

Seryung rested her forehead on the table. It felt cool to the touch and she wished it could cool down her over heated thoughts. ‘Kim Hana… You should be prepared for this,’ she thought, allowing her eyes to rest before the real drama began.

 

She yawned and flicked her pen between her fingers. She’d never once imagined that her parents’ were so close to Kim Hana’s that they’d call and ask about her the day after they’d broken the news to their son. Her lips curved into a sarcastic smile. Their parent's were close to everyone except maybe their children.

 

 It angered Seryung to think they'd arranged her brother's wedding without consulting his opinion. They were never at home. They didn't have had a right to do what they did! The maids and attendant's had more of a right! Sehun and Seryung had constantly been left in the care of attendant's when their parent's went around the country and even abroad for conferences.

 

"Hana’s parents had mentioned that they’d noticed her stained uniform and dejected expression upon asking her why she was in such a state she’d told them that she’d been a victim of bullying. They’d complained about how frightened they were and she’d cheerfully told them that a certain Oh Seryung had helped her deal with the day’s aftermath."

 

Seryung held her pen steady for a moment as a new reality dawned. curved into a curt grin. ‘Of course! They’d figure out that it was oppa! Why else would I help her?’ She began to flick the pen in the opposite direction. ‘Oppa... I think our parent’s know how much we like to clean up each other’s messes. They’re on to us! Gotta be careful from now on.’ 

 

Seryung blinked as the pen slipped out of her fingers and onto the ground. She was about to get out of her seat but someone passed it back to her. She nodded a 'thanks' and the person sitting in the seat opposite her gave her a flirty smile. Seryung ignored him and decided to pay attention in class.

 

-

 

Kim Hana dreaded coming into school after what she’d been subjected to. She’d put off coming in early as per normal.  She noted how demonically her classmates glared at her. Their eyes were burning holes in her skin as she made her way to her seat. Determined to look at the floor she’d managed to avoid being tripped. No one had accidentally attempted to kick her legs. Yet…  

 

She counted her lucky stars. Things wouldn’t get that bad. She could lose her friends all over again as long as no one tried to physically harm her. She would be fine! Right? 

 

She sat in her seat, and deliberately evaded faces. Instead she stared at her desk. It was inscribed in the vilest manner possible. She swallowed and her dry lips. She wanted nothing more but to get up and run.

 

Around her, she could practically hear conspiring thoughts. There were so many of them and one of her. How could she face them? They would eat her like lions. Her chest tightened. She knew what they were capable of, or at least she had heard about what happened to outcasts such as her.

 

She hoped things wouldn't get that far. If she pretended to be okay, would they lose interest in her? She was hoping they would abandon her. Perhaps that was the best way to deal with bullies. Hana wasn't sure, but what she did know was that a confrontation was not what she wanted. She wouldn't be able to handle it, not against all of them.

 

And so the horror began...

 

-

 

Hana noticed her seat had been gravely engraved after she'd returned from the toilet. All those years she had tried being invisible, being average and keeping out of other peoples’ eyes. Yet they all knew her! Out of all the Kim Hana’s that attended the school they knew this Kim Hana.

 

She tried to ignore the menacing snickering that softly erupted around her. They were taking pleasure in her witnessing the state of her things. She was determined not to give in today. She wouldn’t tremble in fear! Yesterday she was caught off guard but today she had a notion of what she was up against.

 

They couldn’t surprise her!

 

Hana revealed the beach towel she’d knowingly packed, and placed it onto her seat. It would be enough to absorb the paint and correction marker. Her navy skirt would survive. Determined to keep looking down her eyes had no choice but to rest on her table. She traced the words that malignantly decorated it. Her strength was diminishing but she was determined to make it through.

 

-

 

The Angel of Darkness was not new to mischief caused by humans. He stood where dark thoughts pertained, and often was accompanied by the Angel of Healing, yet not today. His pair was absent. This was also not new. Darkness could see it, although the humans could not. A smog of grey and black was brewing. It was not his doing. It was human thought that was contemptuous. Positivity was flawed, and hence Healing had gone where he was needed. The Angel of Darkness stood alone to bear witness of heinous crime.

 

“-And we put sticky goo in her locker! It’s all over her stuff I bet she’ll have to buy new books and stuff!”

 

“Well yeah even if she manages to clean the goo her stuff is all ruined!”

 

“It’s been scribbled on with a compass obviously those books aren’t going to get her any decent grades.”

 

“I heard she an average scorer.”

 

“That’s actually such a pity. Good grades would have gotten her to places.”

 

“Now she’ll just remain bullied for life!”

 

“I heard that someone spit at her today during-”

 

Seryung slammed her locker making sure to make the girl nearest to it jump in fright. She gave the clique a cold hard glare before flicking her dark hair and stalking past them. She didn’t care for Hana. She cared for her as much as Sehun did. Maybe even less? A loser had just been born due to her brother’s silly antics. He was meant to be engaged to the woman! Of course no one knew that! If they did she would have become exquisitely popular within a matter of seconds but no. No one would know that. Why? Because Kim Hana was much more fun to play with as an outcast.

 

She made a face, everywhere she went they were spitting Kim Hana’s name. She didn’t need to think about where the plain Jane may be. Everyone already knew she was in the schoolyard trying to get gum out of her hair.

 

-

 

Sehun scrunched his nose in disgust. What he’d done out of anger the day before wasn’t remotely as terrible as what the girl was being subjected to now. As much as he wanted to tell them to stop he was also afraid for himself. He was a coward. After years of half-heartedly isolating himself from the masses he’d decided that he preferred things this way

 

From what the rumor’s claimed the girl had been passive about it all so Sehun, although he did pity her and the guilt did gnaw at him, avoided all confrontation regarding Kim Hana.

 

Although Kim Hana hadn’t resisted nor reacted to the forms of aggression darting her way, she didn’t know how she would spend the rest of her school life. Now that she had been branded it didn’t matter if she continued to stay here or transferred school. the minute her status became known things would inevitably turn ugly. ‘As long as they don’t physically hurt you Hana, you’ll be okay,’ she thought biting her lip recalling how warm, slippery and wet spit felt on her face.

 

“Yo idiot!” Hana shouldn’t have turned around, but she did. She ducked in panic and landed on her as a duster flew past where her face had been seconds earlier.

 

Laughter.

 

It was everywhere as if they had all anticipated playing jokes on the monkey. Hana bit her lip, tears were welling again -- she tasted the blood in first – then tears rolled down. throbbed, her bosom tingled with numbness and her heart ached. She didn’t know which hurt more.

 

Here, the Angel of Darkness was surprised to see the grinning Angel of Light simmer into sight. The shorter, more cheery angel waved in greeting, at the looming Darkness, before pointing at none other than Oh Sehun who pinched the bridge of his nose and watched the scene unfold.

 

This was all his doing. He rammed the seat in front of him against a table in hopes they would move away from her.

 

 

 

The Angel of Light flinched slightly before realizing that it was Darkness who was nearby. He recorded his protest and saved it for later. Light would let Healing know what his twin was up to. But first, he had come to guide Sehun.

 

"It's almost time for class," Oh Sehun stated to no one in particular. He challenged the eyes in the room. His lip curled upwards when they all rushed to their seats. Hana blinked and waited for him to scold her too, but he didn't. She sighed, and got up before scurrying to her seat.

 

With Light over his shoulder, Sehun paid more attention to Hana than to the teacher. It was definitely odd, but he saw what Seryung had seen and it scared him. He massaged the back of his neck knowing he'd have to revise in the car on the way home because he was in no mood to listen, let alone comprehend, what the teacher was saying. For now though, he'd have to subtly protect Hana without having his name dragged under the water.