Sehun's Secret Helpers

Everlasting Impressions

Seryung clicked her tongue. Kim Hana was a weird one. Seryung had been surprised to see her sister-in-law prod her head through her classroom door as Seryung had been debating whether to leave or wait until Sehun was done with his punishment. Hana had asked Seryung to 'help' her with something and although Seryung wasn't in the mood to help she'd agreed to Hana's eager eyes not knowing what 'help' the girl wanted.

 

She pursed her lips and crossed her arms as Hana cautiously scaled the floor, careful not to be seen, it was amusing to watch because Seryung knew that the school would be empty. The student's had already left for 'hagwons.'* However, Hana still remained careful, she led Seryung to a classroom, and turned to face the younger girl with hopeful eyes.

 

Seryung arched an eyebrow, she knew what Hana was up too. She was able to add two and two together and get: 'let's help Sehun oppa,' but Seryung didn't feel it was necessary to help him. Her brother needed some self-reflection because as much as he had tried, in the end he'd lost his self-control.

 

Chairs lay sloppily where their owners had left them. Some stood by their tables neatly. Some stood at an angle and some had their back to the floor illustrating the gusto with which their owners had jumped in delight upon hearing the bell chime.

 

"Are you serious?" She asked crossing her arms as she did. She examined the classroom and scrunched her face, "Disgusting!"

 

Hana played on her feet and smiled knowing that Seryung had understood without her having to explain, "We got off on the wrong foot, so I wanted to do something for him, I think there's been a misunderstanding between us."

 

 "The misunderstanding can be sorted by speaking to each other. Why are you cleaning up after him? He was mean to you," Seryung pointed the obvious and waited for a response. Normally no one would have attempted to do what Hana was doing. Seryung questioned why her parent's had chosen Hana for Sehun. Was she the 'Candy'** that everyone talked of? Did a Candy even exist? Seryung tapped her chin and recalled all the shows she'd seen till present, "You're serious?"

 

Hana nodded and pointed to the room with less enthusiasm. "As you can see, I can't do all of this on my own. I need your help."
 

"And why should I help? I think he should do it himself."
 

"Because he's your brother."
 

She clicked her tongue. The 'brother' card had been drawn, and it was around this time that she normally gave in because there existed a brother who did the same when a 'sister' card came to view. "He is but I still think you should talk out your misunderstanding."
 

Hana made a face and scratched her head sheepishly. "I want to but... I thought this would be the best way. I want to show him that I'm not what he's thinking. Does that make sense?"
 

Hana watched her shake he head. Hana pouted in response and lowered her head before shuffling into the classroom. She followed after and picked up a broom, "You're going to clean them all?"
 

Hana waved her finger, "Kind of but not really. I want to make his job easier for him. He's got to clean all the rooms but I don't want it to be too obvious, like I'm trying too hard."
 

She giggled at this discovery, "Let's !" She declared and bounded over to her sister-in-law.
 

Hana stared at the sticky notes that she had planted and bit her lip. She didn't want to leave Sehun with such an impression but his sister had insisted, and so Hana had given in. Still, she couldn't help but smile at her own compositions; they were humorous to her, but Hana had inserted an element of truth. Oddly, she did want to marry him. She might not know him properly, they might not have had a perfect first meeting, and he did scare her a little, but something, somewhere told her that he was 'the one' therefore Hana decided to follow her instincts.
 

Hana spent her time with Seryung trying to categorize her but with Oh Seryung cataloging was difficult. She was popular yet, she was ready to help someone who was at the base of the social chain. In fact, Hana had fallen right off the social ladder, and landed in a pool of mud. It hadn't been nice, her books were in tatters, and her classmates had turned vicious, yet knowing that someone was ready to help her eased her mind. Hana was still wary of Oh Seryung, the younger girl was difficult to deduce. Hence, it was impossible to trust her completely. Suspecting her was the last think Hana wanted to do but she had been betrayed by her friends, and so she didn't want to give her full trust to anyone so quickly.
 

Truth be told, Hana was afraid to become friends with someone who was higher than her on the ladder of high school elites. Oh Seryung was by no means at the top but Hana was too far below and she didn't want to get hurt. Hana had never made real friends before and the way her heart was warming up to Seryung was alarming in itself. Hana furrowed her brows, she was trusting her easily because Seryung looked too much like Sehun. Hana frowned knowing she shouldn't mistake them for each other, their personalities were too different do that. Sehun was quiet and kept to himself. Seryung was the opposite - she spoke frequently and was friendly with everyone.
 

Hana had met Seryung before when she'd randomly joined her table and introduced herself. She'd complained about not finding seats elsewhere. Hana and her 'friends' had welcomed her, of course, they'd ended up talking about fashion, among other things and Hana had envied Seryung's natural ability to make friends.
 

Seryung didn't know why she was doing what she was doing. She'd agreed to help but she didn't want to. She didn't know why Hana had chosen her to help. Seryung rolled her eyes at the 'because he's your brother' story. How many times had that story been used against her? Seryung chuckled to herself, each time she'd done as commanded when 'your brother,' had been mentioned. Her brother was dear to her, more than anyone, and dearer than her parents. He was her brother, her father and her friend. Seryung pressed her lips together. She had never told him that, she'd never voiced it, but she hoped he knew anyway. He probably did, he knew her too well just like she knew him and although they were close, they didn't miss an opportunity to tease one another. Usually she would initiate it and he would catch on and retort.
 

Seryung decided she liked Hana for her brother. Hana was kinder than the other girls, the kindness was evident on her face but Seryung didn't like the idea of Mary Sue. If Hana were Mary Sue then she would face a great deal of ordeals before Sehun decided to pay attention to her.
 

"What kind of girls does Sehun like? He doesn't seem to have a set criteria judging from the girls he's dated."
 

Seryung flinched at the question. The girl Sehun liked was too hard to match, and trying to be like her would only result in tears. "He doesn't like anyone."
 

"There must be something he likes in girls? Appearance, personality, that kind of thing?"
 

"That's not a question I can answer, you can ask him yourself."
 

Seryung decided she was done cleaning.

 

"I'm going to leave first." It had been nice thinking. Seryung scoffed herself in her head, 'Mary Sue doesn't ask ideal types, she becomes one but you are asking because you want to be approved of. That makes you the same as the rest of them. He'll never like you that way, maybe if you were Rae Mi?'
 

Seryung let the idea drop before her thoughts ran further than she wanted. Seryung despised Rae Mi for almost ruining her brother’s life.
 

Hana puffed out her cheeks and thought about it. Her interest in Sehun had been reignited after he’d helped her. Hana knew more than she let on, she was aware of his subtle attempts at saving her, she had heard the gossip and had contemplated it. Her conclusion was that he’d made a mistake and although the results of his mistake were grave, but he was trying to help her, and that was exoneration in her eyes. The reason he was being ‘punished’ was due to his way of helping her, and so Hana was returning a favor of sorts. She would help him silently as he had helped her.


“I don’t want to ask him, he scares me,” Hana admitted as she collected pieces of paper from the floor, “If you’re going to leave can you just check what Sehun-shi might be up to? I don’t want him to catch me.”
 

Seryung spun around to stare at Hana. The request was strange and it brought her back to her earlier assumption, “Why are you helping him? Do you want him to like you?”

 

“I wanted to repay him for his help earlier. We’re meant to get married. It would be nice if we got along.”
 

Seryung clicked her tongue. “He doesn’t want to get married though. What will you do about that?”
 

Hana shrugged and veered towards the bin, “It’s not up to me either, it's our parent’s idea.”
 

“But you still want to get married?”
 

Hana smiled a small smile but didn’t reply. Did she want to get married? She wasn’t completely sure either. What was married life like? How did one get used to it? Forced arranged-marriage wasn’t common to do so in their country, but it was common enough in others. Hana was aware that an engagement would be on the way. Her parents were too influenced by Indian culture, and although India was also moving forward with time her parents were set with their preferences. It was just like them to do such a thing, but Hana also knew they wouldn’t give her away to just anyone, if they approved of Sehun – their standards were high – it meant he’d caught their eye, and he was an eligible candidate for their daughter.
 

Seryung wasn’t sure who Kim Hana was. She was really strange and her personality was even stranger. She’d just accepted the proposal her parent’s had laid for her whereas Seryung found the idea incredulous, and beyond belief. The younger girl didn’t help Hana tidy up but instead watched her as she worked. Hana hadn’t complained nor made faces as if she were carrying out a duty. A new curiosity bubbled within Seryung. She realized she wanted to get to know this person who was difficult to deduce.
 

“Have you ever fallen in love?” Hana asked out of the blue. She gave Seryung her trademark smile and met her eyes giving her, her full attention.
 

Seryung chuckled at the question. She’d been talking to Hana about various things, and had learnt that India seemed to crop us a lot in her conversation. Seryung found the ordeal amusing as her own parents were also overly enthusiastic about culture and preservation of traditions. Seryung’s parents worked to promote the culture and traditions of South Korea in a world that was advancing to become like the western world. Hana’s parents were similar too, and Seryung reckoned they probably got on very well.


Subconsciously, Seryung had found herself assisting Hana in her work. They’d been careful not to make Sehun suspicious. He would be very unimpressed if he thought his fan club was trying to interfere with him. Sehun hated owing favors and always did his own work, never asking for help but instead working harder so he could negate the idea of needing help. He always carried out what was assigned to him on his own and never claimed to have trouble doing something even if he was struggling. The end results was always crisp and proper. It was how Sehun performed a task. Therefore, the girls tried not to make it too obvious that he was being ‘helped.’ 



*hagwon - A place where students go after school to study. It isn't like supervised study though. It's like having more school, just after finishing school. South Korea takes education very seriously!

** Candy - Korean version of Mary Sue. A girl who will think no wrong thoughts about those who've wronged her, and willingly take the blame for things she doesn't need to. A more apt example are the modern day kdrama lead girls. Candy is also that really popular H.O.T song that you'll see idols cover.


I've just created three characters. The forth one is in China, still. There will be supporting characters approaching in the form of Kai and Seo Kang Jun much later on, a Kim Jaejoong cameo, oh and some supernatural beings along the way too. I don't plan for a Mary Sue, as endearing as she may seem I really don't want one in my fic. She is the most cliched thing I have ever seen. She is literally everywhere. And if not Candy we get the stereotypical rebels. Two extremes from either side, none very realistic to begin with. Both very stereotypical, predicable and not very fun to write about.
Do you guys like reading fics with Candy as the lead? What kind of leads suit your preferences? Also there is no jerk main lead, is there? I'm kinda sick of seeing them too. When I see them, I feel like I know exactly how the story will unfold and that gets kinda boring after a while.
Enough drabble from me. Onto the next update. ;)